PDA

View Full Version : Annual Amount of Published Words

not_HarryS
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey information-sleuths! I've been researching this stuff for the past couple of days, and I'm not making much progress.

Basically, I'm making an infographic about the amount of published business information in the past VS today. My main focus is on the amount of information businesses publish for consumer use, whether it's user manuals, white papers, help guides, brochures, web content, marketing collateral, etc. Anything that a business publishes for consumer use counts. My ideal timeline for comparison is from 1980 to the present, but that's flexible.

Thing is, I'm not finding any relevant statistics at all. I found this article (http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=jep;view=text;rgn=main;idno=3336451.0006.204 ), which has some interesting information about the amount of information people produced and consumed in the year 2000. It's nice, 'cause it splits up the types of information, whether magazine, books, TV, business, etc. And it also differentiates between the methods of publishing, whether magnetic or print, etc.

But I need more information than this, and I'm not sure how to phrase my Google searches. I've tried every combination of "amount of information published/volume of English words published/amount of business documents published" that I can think of, and it isn't getting me anywhere.

So if anyone knows of any resources, sites, or ANYTHING that can help me gather some statistics, that would be great. It would be best if the information deals specifically with business-oriented content, but I can still work with it if it's just talking about content in general.

Thank you so much in advance. I'm going to continue looking on my end, but I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.

PeterL
03-17-2011, 03:33 PM
You might try emailing the people who wrote that report.

I suspect that there are reports by committees in a number of types of publishing that would have data on publishing in the various fields: newspapers, books, etc. I don't know whether it would reportin the terms that you wnt. They would have numbers of books but not number of words.
American Ass'n of Publishers annual report:
http://www.publishers.org/main/IndustryStats/indStats_02.htm