Electrical accidents leading to changes in the body's electrical field?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to start a new book with light fantasy elements, in which something about this reality (environmental, dietary, immunizations, anything really) causes survivors of electrical accidents and lightning strikes to become "charged" electrically, themselves. I'd like these characters to disrupt machinery and experience "zapping incidents" (not the phrase I'll use) initially during times of stress or emotional intensity, but to ultimately learn how to harness the electricity running through them and use them purposefully.

The book is set in this world, present day. I can invent the element(s) that causes this reaction, but I'd be grateful for a little help making it plausible. (I am the survivor of a childhood electrical accident, myself, and I do disrupt machinery. I have no evidence that these two parts of my life are connected in any way, however, regardless of how attractive an idea it is to join them.)

If anyone has any brainstorms, I'd be grateful. I'm not big with the science, and Google's given me a headache on this subject for years. I'm hoping to make something up based on a plausible, our world, fact or hypothesis. Thanks!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Well IMO if you're going for plausibility you need to have some kind of balance. Energy must come from somewhere, whether it's from the people needing more to eat or them sucking energy from machinery until they are 'charged'.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Aside: Interesting! I was actually hoping that in some folks [for some reason], there might be an opposite reaction- that they could absorb energy instead. This is nothing like what you're referring to [and I didn't want to overly confuse my OP with it], but it would make the battles interesting.)

So, if I'm understanding you, energy must be drawn from somewhere, so I'm assuming it will dissipate over time or when it's used? The lightning strike (in my MC's case) might charge her initially, but she might discover that she has this capacity but also needs regular re-charges? Correct the hell out of me, please!

And (if what I've said above is plausible) what about those they draws energy from? Could the characters screw with the electrical conduction systems of their bodies? To the brain? To the heart? I'd rather they not find that taking charge from inanimate sources works well for them, but that's not set in stone.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The charge of a body is based not on electrons but on chemical differentials (Sodium/Potassium). I would suggest the first step would be to thing of at least some basic hand-wavey method to increase those rather than acting like human bodily electircity is the same as electons in a wire.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
What V.G said. I like your idea. a small thought for you.. Some kind of tie in to cardio pulmonary resuscitation using AED machines... A lot of people think AED's provide a small burst of electricity to restart the heart, But, in truth, the shock delivered has enough power to light a football field...

The body can handle some serious jolting around.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The charge of a body is based not on electrons but on chemical differentials (Sodium/Potassium). I would suggest the first step would be to thing of at least some basic hand-wavey method to increase those rather than acting like human bodily electircity is the same as electons in a wire.

Thank you, veinglory. I've got a lot of researching to do, and this definitely helps point me in an interesting and less scattered direction. It needn't necessarily be the body's own charge at play (I'll have to ponder that), but perhaps, as Don suggests below, introduced electricity. That said, I'm quite drawn to your suggestion of a "hand-wavey method." Lots to check into.

What V.G said. I like your idea. a small thought for you.. Some kind of tie in to cardio pulmonary resuscitation using AED machines... A lot of people think AED's provide a small burst of electricity to restart the heart, But, in truth, the shock delivered has enough power to light a football field...

The body can handle some serious jolting around.

This is a very interesting idea (and count me among those who didn't know that about AEDs). I'd love the characters to be able to self-sustain/self-direct (with time and training) this phenomenon, but I'm now wondering if rather than having them come away with a naturally higher charge in their bodies, it might not make sense for them to become almost lightning rods after their accidents? Drawing electricity from their surroundings? In that case, it'd be awesome for them to carry around portable defibrillators as standard issue (and the final battle could get all kinds of f%*k'd up!). (Er, that's recognizing, of course, that there may be a million reasons this doesn't make sense...) Back to the google with better direction. Thanks, Don and veinglory.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Can I just ask a question?

When I was about 13, my physics teacher put me on a Vaan de Graf (sp?) generator. Rest of the class very amused at my hair standing on end....

But since then, I've had a problem with static. I've blue screened computers by putting my hand on the monitor (and it wasn't a coincidence because I did it three times, one after the other). In hospital, I had to strip the bed myself cos the nurses kept getting zapped by the blankets. And sometimes I can zap other people if they are wearing metal jewellery. So .... coincidence? Was I born this way?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
'Tis all up to you. You're basically screwing with the laws of physics, which is fine, it's magic and all, but I prefer ground rules, and one of the basic laws of the universe is you can't get something from nothing.

The Belgariad impressed me because it was the first time I encountered a magic system where there were logical rules and characters couldn't simply summon fire by wishful thinking, they had to draw the energy in first.

(Aside: Interesting! I was actually hoping that in some folks [for some reason], there might be an opposite reaction- that they could absorb energy instead. This is nothing like what you're referring to [and I didn't want to overly confuse my OP with it], but it would make the battles interesting.)

So, if I'm understanding you, energy must be drawn from somewhere, so I'm assuming it will dissipate over time or when it's used? The lightning strike (in my MC's case) might charge her initially, but she might discover that she has this capacity but also needs regular re-charges? Correct the hell out of me, please!

And (if what I've said above is plausible) what about those they draws energy from? Could the characters screw with the electrical conduction systems of their bodies? To the brain? To the heart? I'd rather they not find that taking charge from inanimate sources works well for them, but that's not set in stone.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Tis all up to you. You're basically screwing with the laws of physics, which is fine, it's magic and all, but I prefer ground rules, and one of the basic laws of the universe is you can't get something from nothing.

The Belgariad impressed me because it was the first time I encountered a magic system where there were logical rules and characters couldn't simply summon fire by wishful thinking, they had to draw the energy in first.

Thanks, Drachen Jager! I'm strongly with you, and my extreme preference would be to root my fantasy elements (this change in the human body) in real world laws of nature if possible. This book's fantasy elements will/should be light (mostly based on the composition of the human body today, and whatever's led up to this change in it), so the closer I can stick to our current understanding of science to base my hypothesis on, the better. I'm weak on physics personally, though, and science in general. That's why I've come here for research direction. You've been enormously helpful!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just ask a question?

When I was about 13, my physics teacher put me on a Vaan de Graf (sp?) generator. Rest of the class very amused at my hair standing on end....

But since then, I've had a problem with static. I've blue screened computers by putting my hand on the monitor (and it wasn't a coincidence because I did it three times, one after the other). In hospital, I had to strip the bed myself cos the nurses kept getting zapped by the blankets. And sometimes I can zap other people if they are wearing metal jewellery. So .... coincidence? Was I born this way?

Can't tell you, but I share your problem. I borderline harm myself pulling cans from the metal shelves in the supermarket during the dry winter months, and my cat looks at me like I'm a murderer when I go to pet him and come close to electrocuting him instead.

Avoid Polar Fleece, it's not your friend. Look for non-synthetic materials. Barefoot at home is best if you're warm enough, or 100% cotton socks or slippers. I always touch a finger to the roof of my car when I get out, in order to diffuse the shock while I'm prepared. Holy God, I hate getting hit by it unaware. That's usually a hard one.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
I'm prone to accumulating static electricity too. My parents tell me I had a scary run-in with an extension cord when I was two... hmm...

Would it be too silly for your characters to power up by shuffling across a carpet?

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Problem:How to get Humans to 'generate' and store/discharge electricity.
Question:Find a similar living being that can do this.
Answer: The Electric Eel

Assigment: Study and incorporate/mirror the biomechanics of the electric eel and other bio/electric beings.

Assign enough 'handwavium' to fit your story needs.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm prone to accumulating static electricity too. My parents tell me I had a scary run-in with an extension cord when I was two... hmm...

Would it be too silly for your characters to power up by shuffling across a carpet?

Just imagine the awesome choreography I could devise for the climactic battle scene!!! :evil

Problem:How to get Humans to 'generate' and store/discharge electricity.
Question:Find a similar living being that can do this.
Answer: The Electric Eel

Assigment: Study and incorporate/mirror the biomechanics of the electric eel and other bio/electric beings.

Assign enough 'handwavium' to fit your story needs.

Hmm... Interesting. Turns out electric eels have three sets of organs they use just to create the charge. BUT, there's some interesting information that researchers have already been working with the electricity generating cells of the electric eel (electrocytes), hoping to produce artificial cells capable of powering medical implants. (Interesting 2008 paper here.) Will have to look further and see if they seem to have gotten anywhere with that.

I wonder... I realize an electrical accident is probably more likely to short something like this out, but can I get where I want to go (with some credibility) by having it make these cells go haywire in some people instead? It would make the phenomenon awesomely random and rare (which is just what I'm looking for). Thanks, WriteKnight!

Skyler

Ninja kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
As already mentioned, a similar effect relating to a buildup of static electricity has been observed with some people. The more severe the effect, the rarer it is, but some people have been known to fry electronic equipment.

Control, not so much. I'm trying to figure out how. ;)

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I don't have any ideas, but I'm a childhood zap survivor (nearly hit by lightning) and I've also accidentally touched an ungrounded electric stove and we used to play with the wires on the electric fence. Later in life, I played with the current from an electric train transformer -- PM me if you want details. I no longer crash computers, but I can't keep a (battery operated) wristwatch running for long. I believe in all kinds of magical things, like keeping hematite near me for grounding. What if your MC has the current and caps it by wearing a magical/scientifically correct grounding device and only uses it when she needs it?

I love your idea, btw. I hope you let us know when the book comes out!