Reversal of Fortune (neg to pos)

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever had one? have things been so awful that you wanted to use your own intestines for a hanging-rope, and then in one fell swoop - or a few fell swoops, if there is such a thing - something marvellous transformed your life? Or that of someone you know?

I ask because right now I need to believe in just such an eventuality. Stories, please!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I was suicidal in High School. Then I found metal music, which transformed me and saved my life. It was one of the few things I enjoyed, and unlike maths (which I also enjoyed) it made me feel like I could maybe fit in somewhere, some day.

So yes, things can turn around.

Good luck. :)

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you'd live long enough to use your own intestines for a hanging rope unless you're awfully fast with a knife. :D (I use dark humor to ease the pain!)

I think it's safe to assume many of us on here have suffered severe bouts of depression, suicidal feelings, etc. Seems common with us creative types.

I'd say take things one day at a time. I have really bad days too (although I'd prefer sturdy rope over intestines...ya know, less painful and all) ;).

I think what turned me around (and this was pretty recently actually after a bad breakup last year, health issues of family, etc, etc) was that I rediscovered my love for reading (and eventually writing again after years of not doing either due to the very "darkness" you speak of).

It was like a bell went off in my head one day. I had finally started reading again, and then my own story finally started coming together. I have no idea if it will ever get to a publisher one day, but I find myself excited about it every day thinking about how it will turn out. That was my eureka moment this past year I suppose.

Still have lots of rough days, but thinking about it keeps me going. Ya gotta hold onto the little things, because it can take a long damn time for the bigger good things to happen.

:Hug2:

ConChron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
a-muse-or-amuse.blogspot.com
Many years ago I saw only the negative things and thought there was no hope. I was depressed and suicidal and every little bad thing turned into a mountain of evil.

I was at an all time low when my husband had a stroke, only 42 years old. Life as I had known it changed in an instant. I had to get my act together to manage taking care of the children as well as him and because of that I was forced to reevaluate how I viewed life.

I could keep on seeing all the bad things and allow them to have the power to keep me down, or I could look at the good things in life and let it empower me. Was I unlucky because my husband was ill or was I lucky because he was still alive?

Today I see the good things that happen and I see the good in the bad. His stroke was not the only or the last disaster to strike us but I don't see it as bad luck any more. It's a choice I've made and it's a shame that I did not realize earlier that I had the power to make that choice all by myself.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Three years ago my dad/favorite person in the world was diagnosed with cancer. About 10 months later so was my mom/also favorite person in the world. About one week after that so was my oldest, closest friend. The same week Mom and friend were diagnosed I had a baby, which is great, but seemed to just make the whole situation even more complicated. It was scary, sad, and very tense for a long time. About a year after all this, Dad, who we thought was fine, took a major turn. We worked for months to try to get him well, but he passed around Christmas of 09. Oh, and I also had a second child while he was on hospice, aaaaaaaaand I hated my job.

So, to make a long story short; I'd spent several years sad and terrified that something would happen to my parents, while also still being miserable about the job I'd chosen. After Dad died I got a major reality check. Quit wasting time being unhappy. I quit my job, found one in a completely different field much better suited for my education, and started doing things that made me happy instead of having pity parties for myself all the time. Don't get me wrong, I was sad, and I'm still sad about my Dad and the things that have happened to my family over the past three years. I've just chosen to take the reigns and start driving my own life and my own emotions. You can't control everything, but you sure can make good choices for yourself that can directly influence your happiness. That's what I've done anyway, and from my experience, it helps.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Hey zahra,

My head's been down for a while too. But, as long as we keep believing that there's light at the the end of the tunnel, and it's not a near-death experience or a train, we know that tomorrow can only get better. Well, it can't get any worse. Surely.:D

And if you really want an example...

My pal won millions on the lottery. And I still like the bas...:evil

Regards

Whacko

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey zahra,

My head's been down for a while too. But, as long as we keep believing that there's light at the the end of the tunnel, and it's not a near-death experience or a train, we know that tomorrow can only get better. Well, it can't get any worse. Surely.:D

And if you really want an example...

My pal won millions on the lottery. And I still like the bas...:evil

Regards

Whacko

Now, that's the kind of reversal of fortune I'm talking about.

Yeah, it's just that I'm in the kind of funk where it seems impossible to believe that the things that can make my life different will ever happen...it all seems so big, if you know what I mean. Oh, hell, I can't even finish this thought right now. Thanks, everyone.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I was suicidal in High School. Then I found metal music, which transformed me and saved my life. It was one of the few things I enjoyed, and unlike maths (which I also enjoyed) it made me feel like I could maybe fit in somewhere, some day.

So yes, things can turn around.

Good luck. :)

I was the same way just a few years back. Music and poetry saved me. I'm right there with ya CLiffy Boy.