Attack Helicopter Operations in Afghanistan

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Should anyone crave more knowledge on what attack helicopter operations entail for any of their WIPs, I offer the following:

Played their cards and now they're dead.

There's a series of videos there that cover pretty much the entire spectrum of US Army helicopter operations, including air assault, scout, and heavy lift.

I can tell from the soda cans behind the AH-64A CPG's head that these are working gunnies. ;)

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, I'll have to watch those after work.

Just for reference, the guy in the back is the pilot, the guy in the front is the gunner. Yes, they're both pilots, yes you can fly from the front, but primarily the guy in the back flies. It's a bit backwards from what most people would think.

And, this was shot with film so the rotor system looks like it's spinning really slow. That's not the case in reality. You would just see the blur of the blades even when it's taxiing on the ground.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah... I know the guy in the front is the CP/G, if your comment was directed to me. :) Same in the old AH-1 series as well.

And actually, video has a higher "frame" rate than film cameras, so in a great many circumstances, you actualy can make out individual blades in the disk. Plenty of other videos out there beyond this one that reveal that, including some where the speed is so high that it almost looks like the blades aren't moving at all, which is totally freaky.

Last edited:

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
No, no, not directed at you. You know the deal. I'm a utility guy so I'm not as familiar with what you gun bunnies do, but I expect others seeing that video wouldn't understand.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the videos. They're wearing the patch of my original unit, 101st Squawkin' Hawks.

By the way, I'm deeply in love with Captain Donna Duono. Deeply.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the videos. They're wearing the patch of my original unit, 101st Squawkin' Hawks.

ROFL, yeah, I'm thinking if I weren't so darned old...

Anyway, formerly with the pukin' buzzards myself.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu

ROFL, yeah, I'm thinking if I weren't so darned old...

Anyway, formerly with the pukin' buzzards myself.

Grew up outside Ft. Campbell in Clarksville. Actually, the part of the base where the Riding Gun Club is used to be my family's farm before the Army took the land in 1941. Dad's a former 101st man.

My SIL is deployed to Iraq and runs an attack helicopter maintenance squad there.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Give your SIL a great big hooah from me! (And ask her if the flex chute redesigns on the Apache's 30mm actually do anything, or if all the gunnies are flying with 600 or less rounds in the bay.)

JayMan

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator
Registered
Reaction score
Not a service member here, just somebody who's fascinated by the military and has a lot of respect for the men and women in uniform and what they do. Anyway, this is an amazing series of videos. Very informative and extremely interesting to watch, not to mention the excellent shots and video editing.

I actually just wrote a short story involving Army operations in the Mideast, and I can definitely incorporate some of this stuff into my second draft. Thanks for the link!

Last edited: