PDA

View Full Version : Spring! (or Fall!)

Medievalist
03-16-2011, 03:12 AM
So we've got cherry trees showing pink; the blossoms aren't fully open but they will be soon.

When you get about ten feet from the cherry trees, they smell like cherry sweet tarts.

And crocuses, and daffodils. If the light gets less over-cast and gray, I'll take some pictures and post them.

kayleamay
03-16-2011, 03:18 AM
I love the cherry blossoms, especially when they're in full bloom and it's windy. Pink confetti!

Mr Flibble
03-16-2011, 03:19 AM
Yup, all that sap is rising! I love this time of year.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n83/spinynorman_2006/DSC00006.jpg

alleycat
03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
The Bradford pears are starting to bloom here, along with the forsythia. Next will be the cherries and crab apples, then, a little later, the redbuds and dogwoods.

L.J.
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Here, the dogwoods are budding. There are a lot of yellow flowering vines around that have exploded in blooms. I don't know what they are, but they're very pretty.

I love this time of year.

Izz
03-16-2011, 02:05 PM
It's autumn down my part of the world. I love autumn. It's like spring, but with less hayfever.

Cliff Face
03-16-2011, 05:29 PM
Hooray for Autumn! Just 2.5 months left until the joys of winter! Huzzah!

Devil Ledbetter
03-16-2011, 05:36 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/citpat/2008/03/large_CONSTRUCTION.jpg

The first orange road construction barrels have appeared on Michigan highways. That's our harbinger of spring, and our new state tree as well.

jennontheisland
03-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Still three feet of snow outside my window. In a few months, it'll be almost melted and the dog poop will be blooming.

Priene
03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Not much signs of it out here. Must be the easterlies.

MissAimee
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Here the blue sky is starting to turn a little lighter, the brown dirt is kind of brown. But the tress are starting to sprout their bud and of course, one can not miss spring in Arizona, is the singing of the birds.

Medievalist
03-16-2011, 10:25 PM
The Bradford pears are starting to bloom here, along with the forsythia. Next will be the cherries and crab apples, then, a little later, the redbuds and dogwoods.

I really miss the redbuds and the dogwood in bloom; I used to love driving up the Blue Ridge/Skyline drive in May.

There's a Pacific Dogwood (http://green.kingcounty.gov/gonative/Plant.aspx?Act=view&plantID=99) in the Pacific Northwest, Cornus nuttallii, which is a cousin-species, but it's not the same, at all.

Medievalist
03-16-2011, 10:26 PM
It's autumn down my part of the world. I love autumn. It's like spring, but with less hayfever.

Do you have trees that change color? Maples or Oaks?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-16-2011, 11:26 PM
It's not officially Spring down here in Okiehomie until the first tornado siren blows...

alleycat
03-16-2011, 11:48 PM
I really miss the redbuds and the dogwood in bloom; I used to love driving up the Blue Ridge/Skyline drive in May.
Beautiful drives.

There's mountain laurels on the Blue Ridge, but we don't really have them here where I live.

We do have magnolia though. Lots of magnolias. And tulip poplars, and a bunch of other flowering trees.

Alan Yee
03-16-2011, 11:55 PM
My dog is an equinox puppy (born March 20, 2008), so in a few days we'll be celebrating her third birthday. (Yes, my family observes the dog's birthday. At least we don't throw birthday parties and give her birthday cake...) And it will finally be warm enough to play outside with her and go on walks!

Unfortunately, I have year-round allergies that tend to peak during the spring, so it also means I need to keep a lot of Kleenex and Claritin handy, what with all the flowers blooming.

Izz
03-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Do you have trees that change color? Maples or Oaks?A few. Mostly non-native, though. One of the few native trees that loses its leaves is the Kotukutuku (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuchsia_excorticata), which is a Fuchsia, but big.

firedrake
03-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Here the blue sky is starting to turn a little lighter, the brown dirt is kind of brown. But the tress are starting to sprout their bud and of course, one can not miss spring in Arizona, is the singing of the birds.

Oh, I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm not missing an AZ spring, with the tree pollen, especially the fecking bloody Palo Verde. :D My sinuses seize up just thinking about it.

here, in the 'sunny' south of England, the crocuses are fading, the daffodils are blooming and the forsythia across the road is in full flower. I've spotted a few aubretia flowers in the garden, a gorgeous claret and gold primula and the hyacinths are beginning to poke through the mat of wild strawberries. My first English spring in 9 years and I'm loving it. :D

Chris P
03-17-2011, 12:06 AM
The Bradford pears are starting to bloom here,

Ours just finished. My daffodils have been blooming for a couple weeks, as is that red bush thingy that was there when I moved in that I never learned what it was. The buds are out on the irises. I've been trying to kill those things for not blooming, and this year they're going nuts trying to redeem themselves.

MissAimee
03-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Oh, I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm not missing an AZ spring, with the tree pollen, especially the fecking bloody Palo Verde. :D My sinuses seize up just thinking about it.

I live in the southeast corner, so we don't have the Palo Verds, like Tucson or Phoenix. The only real reason I like Arizona is that it actually starts to hit 80 degrees in Febuary.

mscelina
03-17-2011, 12:17 AM
We have....

NOTHING blooming yet.

But in a couple of weeks, the six foot in diameter lilac bushes in my back yard will provide me with two whole weeks of gorgeous flowers in my vases and a month's worth of drying will provide the innards for this year's sachets.

I. Can't. Wait.

Jersey Chick
03-17-2011, 12:25 AM
My daffodils are coming up and the trees have itty bitty buds on them.

Soon. Very. Soon.

BeatrixKiddo
03-17-2011, 01:16 AM
That sounds purdy. (I look forward to any pics)