Should I write a bad review of a publisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward G

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Do you think it would be wrong for me to write a negative review about a small publisher on my blog?

I really don't like the way they do business, and I really think writers who are likely to go with this small press should be warned. What do you think is the right way to go on this?

And if I do write that review, would it be wrong to also post it in here?

tirial

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the blog post being right or wrong. However if you have concerns about the way they do business, you might want to contact Preditors and Editors, or Writer Beware, with the information. That way other writers can be warned.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion and sharing information. That's why places like AW exist; to provide information and allow writers to share their thoughts about publishers and agents, positive or negative. The Bewares and Background Check section might be a better place for it though.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think it would be wrong for me to write a negative review about a small publisher on my blog?

I really don't like the way they do business, and I really think writers who are likely to go with this small press should be warned. What do you think is the right way to go on this?

And if I do write that review, would it be wrong to also post it in here?

As long as it's the truth, and you're not leaving yourself open to accusations of slander. Posting on B&BC would be more professional.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Before you write the blog, I would have to ask these questions.

YOU don't like the way they do business...

1...Are you sure its not you expecting more than what their contract with you calls for?

The reason I ask is because many times, the contracts wording is not what many writers think it is.

2...Are you an exception or do you know other writers with them who have similar complaints?

3...I will assume you have expressed your concerns to them in writing?

If after doing some self searching for the reasons you don't like the way they do business, then by all means, point it out in your blog with facts that you can back up. That way it does not sound like just another disillusioned writer crying because the publisher is not doing what they thought the publisher would be doing.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Even if there is nothing wrong with it you should expect some people to be upset. So it is worth considering--do you care? Ar they people who can do things you will find unpleasant in response?

Edward G

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the blog post being right or wrong. However if you have concerns about the way they do business, you might want to contact Preditors and Editors, or Writer Beware, with the information. That way other writers can be warned.

That's a good idea.

If you do write that post, could you send me a link? I'd like to read it.

Sure, if you send me an e-mail, I'll add you to my mailing list. You can e-mail me through the contact link on my website, which is in my signature. I send out an e-mail notification every time I review a new book or, in this case, a publisher.

There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion and sharing information. That's why places like AW exist; to provide information and allow writers to share their thoughts about publishers and agents, positive or negative. The Bewares and Background Check section might be a better place for it though.

Yes, thank you. Bewares and Background Check.

Before you write the blog, I would have to ask these questions.

YOU don't like the way they do business...

1...Are you sure its not you expecting more than what their contract with you calls for?

The reason I ask is because many times, the contracts wording is not what many writers think it is.

2...Are you an exception or do you know other writers with them who have similar complaints?

I'm not a writer with them, actually. I have reviewed books by them. In the case that finally set me off, I reviewed a book and the Kindle version was all jacked up, then when they released the paperback version it was priced so high that no one in their right mind would buy it. In my opinion, that writer has been screwed by them.

3...I will assume you have expressed your concerns to them in writing?

I did. I sent an e-mail to the company and one to the senior editor. In it, I gave them my rough draft of the review and asked for their comments so I could modify it. Of course, they have not responded.

If after doing some self searching for the reasons you don't like the way they do business, then by all means, point it out in your blog with facts that you can back up. That way it does not sound like just another disillusioned writer crying because the publisher is not doing what they thought the publisher would be doing.

Like I said, I'm not a writer with them. But when I started reviewing gothic literature put out by small presses and independent publishers, I had this idea in mind that I might help shape the future direction of gothic literature. I suppose that's the motivation behind most honest reviewers, whatever the genre.

Well then, it seems if I'm not also critiquing the publishers, then I'm missing an opportunity to help steer gothic literature. In this Kindle era we live in, there's going to be a lot of sharks out there.

I have no doubt this publisher probably makes their money by publishing books that the author is expected to buy. In fact, it has to be that way because the way they are marketing the books would drown them otherwise. But that point I can't prove, so I won't address it in my review.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Edward G,

Check and see if the book are Print on Demand. That would explain the very high prices. You have to remember, when a writer signs with a publisher, even a small indie publisher, they generally know up front how the book is going to be published.

If the publisher is an E-publisher mainly, many small publishers give the authors the option of publishing print, but they are PODs because the publisher is not going to have the money to do large print runs.

I applaud you for looking out for the writer, but POD printing is always more expensive. And print is more expensive than E-books, generally, and part of the problem...

Before you trash the publisher on your blog, look them up on Predators and Editors, or Writers Beware. If you still feel they have a bad business, you might want to send something to Victoria at Writers Beware because she may have information that could be helpful to you...

Good luck...

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I'm not a writer with them, actually. I have reviewed books by them. In the case that finally set me off, I reviewed a book and the Kindle version was all jacked up, then when they released the paperback version it was priced so high that no one in their right mind would buy it. In my opinion, that writer has been screwed by them.

You are voicing an opinion, not backed up by facts. You don't know at all that the writer was screwed. For all you know the writer knew exactly what they are getting into. You are not a writer with them, but have you seen the contract they offer? How can you know they haven't delivered on their commitment to the writer?

By all means voice your opinion from the point of view of a customer buying their books but don't presume to know the inner workings of the publisher or the relationship between the publisher and the author, unless you do have some insight other than book pricing. Could it be your opinion is formed by you own standards and what you expect as a writer rather than normal business practice of a publisher on a similar playing field to the one you are reviewing?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm not a writer with them. But when I started reviewed books by them. In the case that finally set me off, I reviewed a book and the Kindle version was all jacked up, then when they released the paperback version it was priced so high that no one in their right mind would buy it. In my opinion, that writer has been screwed by them.

Sorry, this isn't a good reason. Sure, question it on B&BC, but this is between writer, publisher and reader.

Like I said, I'm not a writer with them. But when I started reviewing gothic literature put out by small presses and independent publishers, I had this idea in mind that I might help shape the future direction of gothic literature. I suppose that's the motivation behind most honest reviewers, whatever the genre.

Well then, it seems if I'm not also critiquing the publishers, then I'm missing an opportunity to help steer gothic literature. In this Kindle era we live in, there's going to be a lot of sharks out there.

Firstly, Gothic literature doesn't need help being steered. It is experiencing a renaissance in publishing and academic research [although my tutor - who is world authority on Gothic - says she will scream if another broadcaster asks her to comment on vampires]

Secondly, this isn't a 'kindle era.' E-book sales are a small proportion of sales. The technology is very new, and rights are extremely complex.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, I would think about WHY you want to write this, and if it's through professional concerns, or personal expectations.

Whatever you write should be the truth, and should be presented in a professional manner. It should not be a vehicle for you to bash a publisher.

Now, the point that you have raised is a price issue, and so it's perfectally okay for you to say something like 'I feel that the price for the paperback versions is very high compared to other print versions in the market.' it's not okay for you to say something like 'these writers are getting screwed because the price is so high no one qwill buy their books'

At the end of the day you can't speak for the writers - all of whom have willingly signed contracts and who are no doubt aware of the positives and negatives of their contract.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If you simply state the way they do business accurately, you're fine. If you start throwing in opinion and judgment, you could be in trouble.

Edward G

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Edward G,

Check and see if the book are Print on Demand. That would explain the very high prices. You have to remember, when a writer signs with a publisher, even a small indie publisher, they generally know up front how the book is going to be published.

You know, you raise a good point that I had not thought of before, that in fact the writers know full well what they are getting in this publishing deal. But they probably didn't know the Kindle version would be jacked up. Nonetheless, if I know it just by downloading a book or two and looking at samples of others, there's no reason the writers wouldn't have known this before signing with the publisher.

By all means voice your opinion from the point of view of a customer buying their books[...]

That's all I would be doing. But on retrospect, why should I? The paperback in question is priced at $17 dollars. The Kindle sample shows the e-book is obviously jacked up, so it won't sell either. There can be no stronger statement about this publisher than that. And, I have already said explicitly to the writer in question that they should self-publish or go with another publisher on their next book.

Firstly, Gothic literature doesn't need help being steered.

Sure it does. Or at least that's the arrogant opinion of a reviewer. I mean think about it: when one sets off to review books, they are trying to tell readers what books are worth looking at and which ones aren't (honest, unpaid reviewers, that is). That's an arrogant position to take--but then someone has to do it, don't they?

Secondly, this isn't a 'kindle era.' E-book sales are a small proportion of sales. The technology is very new, and rights are extremely complex.

It is the Kindle Era. If you can't see that, then you are in serious denial. Of course, I'm referring to fiction works and not non-fiction.

As others have said, I would think about WHY you want to write this, and if it's through professional concerns, or personal expectations.

Professional what? I'm not a "professional" reviewer. I don't take money or books in exchange for reviews. I do what I do because I like gothic literature. So, I guess my motivation is personal. I think it's stupid for writers to go with publishers that are, in effect, ruining the potential sale of the very book they are publishing.

But, that's up to the writer. In the case of this publisher, if I was able to come to my conclusions, any writer involved would have been able to do the same. And what do I know, anyway? Perhaps all this author wanted was to be published--in some way, any way, other than by their own hand.

Whatever you write should be the truth, and should be presented in a professional manner. It should not be a vehicle for you to bash a publisher.

What are you? The savior of all things corporate?

Now, the point that you have raised is a price issue, and so it's perfectally okay for you to say something like 'I feel that the price for the paperback versions is very high compared to other print versions in the market.' it's not okay for you to say something like 'these writers are getting screwed because the price is so high no one qwill buy their books'

True. Someone will buy their books. Someone will have to because, while I can't prove it, I'm sure there's a stipulation that the author will sell x number of books or buy the books themselves, otherwise the publisher in this instance would be taking a complete bath on all costs, because in fact, no one will be buying this book. The Kindle version is jacked, and the paperback price is too high.

But, I will not be writing the reivew, because I have also concluded, thanks to the comments on this post, that the author was well aware of this before he or she published with that company. And it's a free world.

At the end of the day you can't speak for the writers - all of whom have willingly signed contracts and who are no doubt aware of the positives and negatives of their contract.

I agree.

Edward G

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Just for the sake of context, this is how the review would have read (XXXX is not the name of the publisher). But like I said, I'm not going to publish it. As a consumer, I simply won't buy their books.

-----------------
A Review of XXXX Books

From time to time as I review authors put out by small presses or who self-publish, I like to take a moment to comment on the publishing quality of these books. After all, the small presses and the independent publishers will be the vanguard in the new Kindle Era of fiction, and as such they should be subject to consumer reviews. I am one of their consumers.

XXXXX Books is a publisher of gothic literature; however, I have yet to get one of their books on Kindle that is not so poorly formatted as to make it almost unreadable. If a book is released on Kindle and it’s poorly formatted when prospective readers download the sample of it, they will reject buying the book. I know I do. Who loses then? The author, the publisher, and the reader.

And then I noticed they recently released a paperback title on Amazon, but they’re charging nearly $17 dollars for it. That’s so much above any normal price point for a paperback book these days that it effectively renders the book dead in the water in terms of sales. Even many mainstream hardbacks from the big six publishing houses sell for less than that. In the end, that means fewer people will buy this book. Again, who loses? The author, the publisher, and the reader.

In my opinion, prospective authors of gothic literature should think twice before submitting their work to XXXXX Books. Because of the poor Kindle formatting and marketing at the largest bookseller in the world, Amazon, they may be jeopardizing their potential sales.

I e-mailed XXXXX Books through their submissions contact, as well as the senior editor there, and told them I was writing this review. I even gave them a rough draft of it and asked for their response so I might modify it. As of today, I have received no reply.
------------------------

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
I can't imagine any pub being happy with formatting mistakes. I'm sure they'd appreciate customers letting them know so they could stop making the same errors. And even though they haven't responded to you, they might have begun correcting the issues.

Is the $17 for trade or mm? It's not crazy for a trade paperback, since Amazon typically discounts them more than 30%. If B&N is discounting more than Amazon, Amazon has a button for notifying them and they almost always match the price within days (I buy a lot of Amazon books and like to bundle to get the free shipping). And if it is a trade with a high but not outrageous price -- I see $14 and up all the time -- why would it be the pub's fault for Amazon's lack of a discount?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
You're reviewing the product as a customer. I don't see why pointing out that the format is virtually unreadable is a bad thing. I would also suggest adding to the B&BC thread on that publisher about the quality of the product, so writers who are considering getting published through the press will know something that might turn off potential readers.

I would not, however, imply the writer whose book you reviewed was getting screwed by the publisher. Mistakes happen, and it's a lot less trouble to assume a mistake first.

As for "Kindle Era," I ordered an iPad 2. I don't have a Kindle, and I don't know I'll ever get one. How about "ebook era" instead? That would be much more accurate.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
$17?

That's, um £10 roughly. The last book I bought from the Big Six was *checks* £8.99. (I expect to pay between £7,99 and £9.99 on average) So it's not vastly overpriced even compared to what I can get in my local bookshop.

My paperbacks are in that region too ($16.50), and I don't consider myself screwed, because I knew what the the price would be, and that it's comparable to most books in the shops here. In fact, when I did a signing at Waterstone's they sold my book for £8 (the exchange rate was slightly better).

I'd mention the formatting, because that's an issue. But the price is between the author and the pub.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
gothic said:
Sure it does. Or at least that's the arrogant opinion of a reviewer. I mean think about it: when one sets off to review books, they are trying to tell readers what books are worth looking at and which ones aren't (honest, unpaid reviewers, that is). That's an arrogant position to take--but then someone has to do it, don't they?

Sorry, but it doesn't. Gothic is well represented with Ishiguro, Sarah Waters and Stephen King representing it well in the bestsellers. I think it is a very arrogant argument that you are putting forward. Please enlighten me with you credentials

It is the Kindle Era. If you can't see that, then you are in serious denial. Of course, I'm referring to fiction works and not non-fiction.

No it isn't. Kindle sales aren't nowhere near a level as to be a threat to print books - and that goes for writers like Stuart MacBride who's latest book's sales included 20% e-book sales. You may want it to be a Kindle age because you have a vested interest in the media, but it's going to be a while yet before e-books really start rivalling print.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
As for "Kindle Era," I ordered an iPad 2. I don't have a Kindle, and I don't know I'll ever get one. How about "ebook era" instead? That would be much more accurate.

I have a Sony Reader which was bought from Waterstones, and that's where I buy my print and ebooks. I refuse to purchase any thing from Amazon.

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
My paperbacks are in that region too ($16.50), and I don't consider myself screwed, because I knew what the the price would be, and that it's comparable to most books in the shops here.

It's expensive by US standards, though.

As for the other stuff, I think that writing a review that outlines one's experience as a reader is always useful--bad formatting is a disaster for a reader, and prices that are high compared to other books in the same market are a source of concern.

The stuff about how writers might be ill-served by them seems a little out of place in a review to me.

I am another person who loves e-books and doesn't patronize Amazon. My Nook and I are very happy together, thank you.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me that you are writing a bad review of the book, not having any direct experience of the publisher.

I think it's absolutely reasonable for a reviewer who has gotten two or three books from Smith & Jones Publishing House, and found that they were all horribly formatted and thus difficult to read, to write about that experience. That is definitely a failing on the publisher's side.

Status
Not open for further replies.