How many Points Of View do you feel a literary/mainstream novel can take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Are several different points of view the mark of a mainstream/literary novel? For example 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' uses 1st and different 3rd POVs most effectively, I feel.

Yet some mainstream/literary novels have a very tight 1st or 3rd POV. 'The Bounce' for example.

I am drawn to literary/mainstream writing because of the scope for a writer in using several different POVs. Would the rest of you here who write literary/mainstream care to comment and keep this board alive with your witty and erutdite remarks?

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert here, but I'll give you my best thoughts on this subject.

I don't think it matters how many POVs you use in mainstream fiction. I've seen it written in just one POV and in several POVs. I think it's up to your judgement and the requirements of your story.

Good luck in which ever you decide

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I use whatever POV makes most sense for the scene. This tends to lead to many different POVs. I've never had any complaints for switching it, but only my friends have read my stuff. When you do 3rd person, omniscient, you hit upon certain aspects of the different characters' POVs anyway, but you can switch w/in one scene & aren't limited to just their POVs. Switching a POV while in omniscient drives me crazy. But as long as it's clear whose POV the scene is in, I don't mind different POVs in 3rd person, limited.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Different POV

So as a writer do you enjoy the scope of using different POVs? So many genre publishers demand a tight 3rd POV and allow a 1st POV but discourage multiple POVs.

Is a use of multiple POVs a sign of Mainstream or Literary writing? It certainly demands more skill from the writer to make it work and isn't easy to do well without confusing the reader but is it the mark of good literary writing?

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how to answer your question, but I'll try.

Yes, some genre novel publisers require a standard format of either 1st person or 3rd person limited POV. I guess it depends on the requirements of the publisher.

Personally, I'm currently trying to find an agent/publisher for my young adult novel written in 3rd person with multiple POVs. Even though it's young adult, I also consider it more mainstream than genre (i.e. science fiction, horror, fantasy, romance, etc.). I'm currently writing another young adult novel that again I feel it's more mainstream than genre. I'm writing it 1st person and I'm finding both methods equally fun, but each form has its benefits and its restrictions.

Is this a mark of literary writing? I don't think so. It's just a matter of how you want the work to sound, feel, and read. Except for the narrow genre publications you mentioned, I think either 1st person, 3rd person limited, or 3rd person multiple POVs can work. Note I didn't say 3rd person omniscient. That one doesn't work well for most writers. It takes extreme skill to pull that one off successfully in my opinion. Usually, it comes off as head-hopping, and like you said, causes confusion in the reader. To me, it's jarring trying to figure out in who's head I'm supposed to be at the moment. No. I think a writer should keep the camera in just one head at a time.

A well crafted 3rd person multiple POV novel can be as satisfying to write and read as any other. The author just needs to keep in mind to stay in the head of only one character per chapter or scene.

I hope this helps.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
pdr said:
So as a writer do you enjoy the scope of using different POVs? So many genre publishers demand a tight 3rd POV and allow a 1st POV but discourage multiple POVs.

Is a use of multiple POVs a sign of Mainstream or Literary writing? It certainly demands more skill from the writer to make it work and isn't easy to do well without confusing the reader but is it the mark of good literary writing?

I do enjoy looking at scenes from different people's POV. I also tend to write with ensemble casts. Usually there is a character I end up focusing on a little more than others, so we'll call them the main character. Then I have one or more not-quite-main-but-only-'cuz-I-focused-on-the-other characters. And then there are the ones that are pretty important, but not really that close to main characters. So for example, in my WIP, I have twins who are the main characters, but one is slightly more emphasized in this story than the other. Then I have three very important characters who help drive the story. Then there are, of course, several other lesser characters who interact, & are probably important w/in certain scenes, but not on a grand scale. Some of those would be like the twins' parents (whose POVs are helpful for backstory, for knowledge that the audience gains towards the beginning when the twins are younger, for a parental attitude when a stranger shows up & tries to take their children far away, & so on).

It's something I'm trying to down-size a little, just because I sometimes get to the middle of a scene & realize that while the first half of the scene worked perfectly from Character A's POV, the second half would work just as perfectly from Character B's, & so sometimes I try to find an excuse to make the switch. That's what I want to cut down on.

My current WIP can't possibly be in one person's POV 'cuz, as I mentioned, there are two main characters, & they get split up some wayinto the story & don't meet up again until the climax. So there I have automatically need for two people's POVs. Some other POVs are good towards the beginning because some characters know more than the main characters.

Some other POVs are good because it's more important to see how others view the main characters in certain scenes. For example, one of my two main characters has a little more darkness to her, so when she ends up throwing fits or attacking people, I want it to be in anybody's POV but her own. This is because I want the audience to see it as the other main character does, but since he's not always around, the POV would go to a third, less important character.

Yes, sometimes it can be a big challenge to get the voice of different characters right, but it's not all that different from doing dialogue. And even w/ one POV, you have to worry about that single voice, so this is just doing that for different characters. I have one character whose POV is very very different from everyone else's. This is because he doesn't speak much & also doesn't think in sentences. He has a lot of thoughts, though, & often come up as informal questions. He feels the question, but doesn't think it in a coherent "Why is she doing that?" sort of way. Everyone else pretty much observes the world similarly to each other, but of course will feel different things about it. And you have some that know more than others.

I hope it's not true about genre publishers wanting one POV or omniscient, 'cuz mine is sci-fi/fantasy, but also young adult.

I've tried 3rd person omniscient, & I reread it & usually don't like how I wrote it. It usually was an excuse to do the multiple POVs but not have to worry about putting a break to change it. The book I'm reading does it too. They focus on the main character when it comes to how the world is observed, & then suddenly will have a paragraph about what a totally different character feels. It throws me off. How does Character A know what Character B feels unless they're psychic? Then I realize they don't. It's just that the author wanted to talk about the other character for a second before going back to the one they usually focus on.

Yeah, so that's my take on 3rd person w/ multiple or omniscient :)

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry!

Sorry, Sage, you kindly jumped in to keep this thread alive but the Mainstream/Contemporaries have fled.

I'm now facing the regular end of the month and beginning of first week of new month deadlines so haven't time to continue. Thank you for everyone's efforts! Looks like the Mainstream writers are too busy writing too.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
maestrowork said:
As many as you want, as long as you do it well.

Indeed - and that doesn't just apply to mainstream. Even fantasy readers can follow multiple POV's as long as you use short words!

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Mike Coombes said:
Indeed - and that doesn't just apply to mainstream. Even fantasy readers can follow multiple POV's as long as you use short words!

Again with the criticism regarding fantasy authors and their fans? Really, I think we all understand that you do not like fantasy and find nothing of value with the fantasy genre. I suppose you're one of those people that read mainstream (or perhaps you prefer calling them 'literary') novels in order to feel superior to others? It's sad really.

As for the actual topic of the thread - I tend to agree with some of the other posters about the number of POVs in your novel. As long as the reader can follow the story, and know from which 'head' you are writing, and each POV is distinctive then I don't see a problem with writing in multiple POVs. I write Fantasy (however, instead of populating my world with elves and fairies as most non-fantasy fans assume all fantasy books MUST include), however I try to infuse a more gritty realism to my novels. In my last WIP, one of the themes that ran throughout the book was racism - and in my current WIP - revenge. Amazingly, those are some of the same themes found in 'mainstream' and 'literary' novels. (Wow, who would have thought that, huh?)

I tell my stories from multiple POVs. I've seen this type of writing style listed as: Rotating Limited 3rd Person POV. (others have called it similar to: Episodically Limited 3rd Person Omniscient)

Good luck to all on your writing endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.