hospitals in manhattan

eharbaugh

Registered
Reaction score
If you were to need to go to the hospital while in the Upper West Side of Manhattan, what hospital would you go to?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If you had a choice, you would go to Lenox Hill Hospital (which is on the upper East Side). The Harlem Hospital Center (which would probably be closest for your characters) is very crowded and underfunded.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Mt. Sinai is on the Upper West Side near Columbia University. There's also St. Luke's/Roosevelt, which (I believe) is in the Fifties on the West Side.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Mount Sinai is also a good choice, but it, too, is on the upper East Side--it's at 5th Avenue and 101st Street.

St. Luke's is at 113th and Amsterdam on the upper West Side. Apparently its emergency room is now considered one of the best in the city; 25 years ago, when I lived at 117th and Columbus, if I got sick I would take a cab over to Lenox Hill.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the corrections, Empress! I didn't realize St. Luke's was that far uptown (or that Mt. Sinai was on the East Side-it's been a while since I lived in the city :)).

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as someone currently living on the UWS...

St. Luke's has a hospital center on Tenth Avenue and 59th Street. If you were in an ambulance, that's probably where they'd take you.