? Scallops

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I've been making them in a pan. Melt butter, add some sea salt. I use the big ones, so about 4 minutes on each side.

My wife loves them. Is there anything I'm missing?

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Some pasta. Scallops work well with some pasta with an alfredo sauce. Also, you might try reducing your cooking time. 4 minutes per side is somewhere between well done and burned, but to be fair has a very low risk of vibrio poisoning, so it's what risks are you willing to take for a tastier culinary adventure?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It makes a big difference which ones you buy (wet or dry scallops). Where I live it's very hard to find the dry ones.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
It makes a big difference which ones you buy (wet or dry scallops). Where I live it's very hard to find the dry ones.

yep, yep....
the dry one's can just be salted a bit and seared to perfection in a bit of clarified butter. 2 minutes per side-ish.

the wet ones,...rinse them and pat them dry before putting them in the pan.

don't forget the garlic. lots of garlic. ;)

also, i've had them poached in milk. i've never done that myself but they were very good.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
also, i've had them poached in milk. i've never done that myself but they were very good.

:Wha:

Wine I could see, but milk?

Wrap them with prosciutto, brush them with olive oil and grill, two minutes on each side. Heaven.

And if sauteing, try using a seasoned flour coating, or even Panko crumbs. I've got a recipe for that somewhere in here.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Scallops, a splash of Pernod, a sprinkle of tarragon and cream. Mmmmm!

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, man. apparently it's a very good method for folks who are prone to overcooking when searing.

put them in the cold milk, bring 'em up to a simmer just for a minute or two and take them out asap. they are done and their delicate flavor remains undiminished.

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
In Canada - by proxy of our French heritage - we often enjoy a dish called Coquille St. Jacques. Now I've just learned from Wikipedia that this is simply the French term for a scallop, literally meaning a "St. James Shellfish". But this is not how I know scallops or Coquille St. Jacques.

Whenever we have it as a family food, it is always cooked in a butter sauce with mushrooms, and then topped with breadcrumbs. In my family it is served in a shell-shaped dish.

It's a small appetizer but quite delicious. I'm not sure if "Coquille St. Jacques" is the recipe's actual name, but that's how we've always addressed it.

KW

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yep. My mother was French and Coquille St. Jacques is a favorite in our family. Recipe--

• 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 5 tablespoons melted butter
  • 6 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 pound sea scallops, quartered
  • 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion

Directions

1. In small mixing bowl, toss the bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon of melted butter; mix thoroughly and set aside.
  2. In another small bowl, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, wine and parsley; mix thoroughly and set aside.
  3. In a skillet over medium heat, saute scallops in 2 tablespoons of melted butter until opaque. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Preheat broiler for medium/high heat.
  4. Reheat the skillet over medium heat and cook the mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons of melted butter until tender. Add cheese mixture and return the scallops to the skillet. Cook until heated through and the cheese is melted. Spoon the mixture into individual ramekins or pour the whole mixture into a 11x7 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top with bread crumb mixture.
  5. Broil in a preheated broiler 6 inches from heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until browned.
I serves this dish as both a small appetizer at a dinner party or on a slightly larger scale as an entree--but only for special people. REALLY special people. As an entree, I add 1 pound of shrimp, crab or lobster to the scallops.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I serves this dish as both a small appetizer at a dinner party or on a slightly larger scale as an entree--but only for special people. REALLY special people. As an entree, I add 1 pound of shrimp, crab or lobster to the scallops.
You people are killing me.

Want. Scallops. Nao.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
*adds Coquille St. Jacques to fangster get-together menu*

Oh--forgot to mention. You want to use smaller scallops for Coquille St. Jacques. The bigger scallops don't hold up as well in the oven. You can use the bigger ones quartered as the recipe suggests, but I just use the smaller ones. I think they taste better.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Rolled in bacon and done in the oven.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had them once. I'm not sure of the whole recipe but I think they were baked with milk and crushed Ritz Crackers.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They were good:D

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Thanks to all!!! Gotta get some more scallops to try. My wife loves the way I've been cooking them, but I wanted to see if there were any other ways.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all!!! Gotta get some more scallops to try. My wife loves the way I've been cooking them, but I wanted to see if there were any other ways.
One other note: sometimes there's a tough little strip of muscle on one side of the scallop. This is easily removed before cooking. I wasn't sure whether you were aware of that or not.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
One other note: sometimes there's a tough little strip of muscle on one side of the scallop. This is easily removed before cooking. I wasn't sure whether you were aware of that or not.

It must be removed sometimes before you buy them. I've never encountered them. But then again, I have never cleaned them either. *blech*:tongue