Amazon Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this is already a thread. But do the rankings on Amazon really mean anything? I mean how many ebooks and books do they have?

Mine's not even been out a week and I am like 141,000 and something. Is that considered good? okay? I dunno. Just thought I'd ask you guys.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For print books anything over 50,000 means you are selling less than a book a week or thereabouts. For ebooks I don't know.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo...so my rank must not mean that's good then if I'm like triple that amount. I appreciate the response.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
It's like golf--the lower the number, the better. The best-selling book with the highest ranking has a ranking of 1.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
thats what I thought. do you know how many e-books they have on amazon? I keep seeing over 800,000 but is that current?

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Amazon does not discuss these things, lest we understand their dark calculations and game the system.

But here are some links from people who've tried to reverse engineer the equation:

http://www.rampant-books.com/mgt_amazon_sales_rank.htm

http://www.fonerbooks.com/surfing.htm

Note: These are already out of date. The number of ebooks available is already higher, and being not entirely comfortable with any math besides what I need to choose the cheapest can of chickpeas, I don't know what that would do to these charts.

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
Hrm. I've long since joined Author Central, but no amount of clicking turns up a "what does this mean in raw numbers" feature. No info about contacting my publisher, either.

The "sales" tab has links to my rank charts, and a note saying I could pay BookScan a fee to see my print numbers (of which I have none). There's a link to KDP saying that if I self-pub, I can see the sales over at KDP. But nothing about ebook sales numbers.

I've sent a note to their "Contact Us" form, hoping for help. I loooooove data.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so:

Amazon's Author Central counts books sold in stores. It will track your Amazon sales rank but will NOT tell you how many books were sold on Amazon.

Novelrank will. Check it out.

Deleted member 42

I'm not sure I should be posting this; it's sort of like stats crack for authors.

But for another way to track /rank print sales beyond Amazon:

http://titlez.com/welcome.aspx

But seriously, don't make yourself nuts over this stuff; they're not all that accurate, and Amazon ranks are easily gamed.

Last edited by a moderator:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Um, as far as I see Amazon tells you how many of your print books are sold on Amazon. Which is what the rank is based on. No?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I tried all these sites and don't get much info at all. Novelrank says I sold 1, which I hope is wrong. I'm pretty sure I know of 2. LOL

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well that won't be for a few months still. I just wish I knew. Gonna hafta just wait I guess. thanks though

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I tried all these sites and don't get much info at all. Novelrank says I sold 1, which I hope is wrong. I'm pretty sure I know of 2. LOL

Don't forget, that's only Amazon. Your publisher also has sales made off their website, I assume, along with other distributors like Barnes and Noble, Fictionwise, etc.

Amazon is only one way of getting your book out there.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
True. They also have it listed on a few other sites too. But like someone said in this thread, I'm not gonna go batty over it. Try not to at least.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely, I'm already 25K into it. This is my fourth actually. Still waiting on the second one for edits, and the third is being subbed by an agent.

I sincerely appreciate the encouraging feedback!

rsullivan9597

Banned
Reaction score
For people in the lower numbers ebooks 1,000 or less the rankings don't swing wildly.

But when in the higher rankings you can go from 750,000 to 70,000 with 1 sale. Then you slowly climb again. The more frequently you sell the slower the climb. This graph illustrates it pretty well.

crown

A raking of about 1,000 will yield about 1,000 books a month but that is only conincidental.

A ranking of 15 - 30 will yield 1,000 to 1,500 books a DAY.

I have a blog post (Demystifying the Amazon Sales Ranking) on this (a bit dated but worth further investigation)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Novelrank is pretty inaccurate, as well. I put one of my self-published books up to see what it would show as 'sold' and compared it to the reports of ACTUAL sales I can pull up on the KDP website. Yeah. Novelrank is more than 50% off of the actual number of sales.

I wouldn't pay much attention to it either. The only thing it tracks is how often your sales rank dips. It might be a sale (or seven!) but you have no way of knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.