Ever heard of Couch Surfing? Travel the World this way!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I wouldn't do it myself at my age, but if I were still young, this would be well cool. My daughter told me about it. It's an international social media site by which people offer a free bed to travellers. My daughter is presently in China with a friend, and they stayed in Beijing with Ben, a young Chinese guy, who met them at the airport, put them up for a couple of days, and showed them around the town. He was great, she says.
It might sound dodgy, but it works a bit like ebay, in that "users" give recommendations and reviews. Ben speaks English and the bed was actually in his parents' home, with their permission.

For young people who want to see the world, it's a great idea.
For instance, I checked my hometown Georgetown and found 10 people offering beds. Go to South America, Guyana, Demerara, Georgetown, and check out the people there. They all sound so nice!
http://www.couchsurfing.org/mapsurf.html
If I had a settled home myself I'd even consider being a host... but who wants to come to Eastbourne????

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Not all of them offer a bed. Some of them only offer to meet and/or show people around, and that's good too.
(sorry fot the broken link in the OP, now fixed.)

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Very cool! In a way it's an extension of hitch-hiking. I had only one such opportunity, way back when. I met a young couple (at a beach) who had struck out for San Francisco after Woodstock, gave them my address and enjoyed their company for a couple of days before they moseyed on down the street to Haight-Ashbury.

Many organizations and clubs have networks to facilitate hook-ups like this. Mensa is one and AANR is another.

Last edited:

sf.writer.mdk

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alienustempusmemoir.blogspot.com
When I started my Walk Across America (which I was unable to finish due to ankle injuries) I stayed with a 2nd grade school teacher near Santa Cruz, California. I stayed with her for 5 days. It was great. She was an excellent host. I even helped her grade school papers.

Now that I'm "grounded" I am able to host. I'm looking forward to my first guest. I do need to update my couchsurfing status, though.

I highly recommend checking in to it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Knowing my luck, I'd be murdered on the first couch I surfed on... ;)

But actually, it sounds like fun. The place I'm living in at the moment is mum's house, and she certainly wouldn't be cool with total strangers staying here for a few days... so I couldn't be a host. I also don't drive, so showing people around would be problematic at best.

But I could maybe look into doing this when I can finally afford to go to Italy. :) Not for the cities - for the cities I would stay in hotels, and just walk around on foot. But exploring the Italian countryside, this couchsurfing would be perfect. Out in the middle of nowhere, and you have a local with a car and an extensive knowledge of the surrounding area. Sounds ideal. :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are way more trusting than I am. Wonder how long it will take for something bad to happen? I see this as a perfect set up for some mind blown jerk to ply his craft. I guess I am too old to think good vibes about this. I do hope this alllllllllll stays above board. It would be a really cool idea for younger folks.

Reaction score
I'm not comfortable with it either. I've done it, but only in groups of multiple people. I also have my carry permit. I would never do it alone, and would never write off on someone I loved (especially a female) doing so.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
You guys are way more trusting than I am. Wonder how long it will take for something bad to happen? I see this as a perfect set up for some mind blown jerk to ply his craft. I guess I am too old to think good vibes about this. I do hope this alllllllllll stays above board. It would be a really cool idea for younger folks.

That's why the recommendations are so very important. There's a whole page on the site with advice on how to check your peeps first. But I am basically a trusting person so I am OK with it.

I actually did something similar a few years ago. I had to go to Germany for two weeks and leave my daughter and dog behind; she was about 14 at the time. I joined a "house sitting" site and found someone who was happy to stay in my home and look after it, daughter and dog for the two weeks. She was Australian, seeing the world, had many recommendations, and it turned out just fine.

I am basically a very trusting person; travelling for a year in SOuth America back when I was 19 I stayed with strangers all the time, but here you get to check them out in advance and that's good.

My daughter is very mature and sensible and I'm sure her trip will go fine -- she's going to Cambodia, Vietnam and India next. She has a very good radar for dodgy people and if she didn't trust someone she would not stay there.

Susan Anwin

deep blue electric angel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
susananwin.net
I used CS a lot of times, hosted too, crashed couches almost all through my Scandinavia roundtrip (or else I couldn't've afforded over a month of traveling)

Robbert

Practical experience FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My two grown-up children also use CS a lot.

A somewhat more serious, worldwide operating NGO with a strong focus on intercultural exchange is

http://www.servas.org/