• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

YA Urban Fantasy*Beta Reader Needed* Possible Girl Scout Cookies as incentive? Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Receding Waters

How much for a cheeseburger?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com
Hello,
I passed the 50 mark a while back and am once again looking for that awesome, fabled relationship that makes up the Beta Partnership. I'm looking around and trying my hand at critiques in different forums, but I realized that I myself don't just want a critique.

I have written a 79K Urban fantasy that I believe fits the YA standards, if not the norm then the upper end of that age spectrum. I understand that I should have it whittled down to what I consider perfection before I solicit a beta, but I feel that I genuinely need another writer(s) to take a look at it and let me know what works and what doesn't. I've been writing and rewriting this novel--along with other WIPS--for four years, so I think I'm too close to it for objectivity without a little help.

I'm looking for someone to read the novel and give me their honest--constructive--opinion. I'm thick-skinned. I encourage you to sharpen your knives and cut, cut, cut. The story does have a prologue and an epilogue (I'm aware that many hate those), but if those don't work, I can rework them or delete them if it makes the novel better. Those are actually topics I'm hoping to work out by the end of this thing. I'm going to paste a description of the novel (not a query) below this paragraph so that if you're interested you can see what you're getting in to.

In a city that’s lost its soul, one demon fights for its redemption as well as his salvation. Haunted by a past he cannot remember and living a false identity, Joshua lives in a world of solitude and thankless sacrifice until Abigail enters his dreams. A gifted but tortured psychic, Abigail is a prisoner of the very evil that has hunted Joshua for more than eight hundred years. As Joshua’s past and present collide the answers to his questions begin to piece together a history he may not want to remember. With time running out, Joshua must save Abigail before one of mankind’s greatest enemies unleashes Hell on earth. As the road to redemption or damnation blurs, Joshua is brought face to face with the truth of his memory, and it is on the shoulders of a demon that the future of man rests.

I'm hoping that I can communicate a few times a week with my beta(s) to develop a good understanding of the progress and fresh thoughts they have. I'm a close reader and love to meet new, believable characters, and would jump at the opportunity to beta for my beta. Quid pro Quo, of course.
If you've made it this far--you're awesome even if you don't contact me--and want to take me up on this offer, you can PM, E-mail, IM, post a message offering to read and ask me to PM YOU, or use any other preternatural way of getting my attention that you may have at your disposal.
In closing: Looking for a beta to read Reaper's Hollow, comment on characters, plot, logistics, wording, general thoughts, etc. Offering my time and honest efforts at Beta-ing for you, too. If you're a black-belt beta awesome. If not, still awesome; wanna build your resume?

Thanks again.
-Receding Waters

BySharonNelson

(Insert something whitty here)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bysharonnelson.blogspot.com
I wish I could help but I am desperately needing to finish 2 books in the next 3 months and am already doing 2 other betas. :( your story sounds great though so Im sure youll get lots of volunteers. If not then I should be available in about a month.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I have an urban fantasy that I'm looking for a beta for :3
Your story sounds pretty interesting, interested in a swap?

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I have a topic on here looking for a beta reader, here's the description:

For one shining moment, it seems like Michael Robin's bad luck is turning around. The unlucky guy has finally scored the job of his dreams - but just when he thinks things are finally looking up, he's abducted by a fanatical cult who will sacrifice him to their Goddess, believing that she will grant them unimaginable power.

Rescued by a mysterious stranger, all Michael wants to do is put the unpleasant experience behind him and go back to his normal life. But he can't go back to his normal life - ever. The strange book he read at the house of his benefactor has changed Michael in ways he can't describe. His every thought now affects the world around him. Doors open and close for him, his computer starts typing on its own and every time he reaches for a glass it slides across the table into his hand.

Is it a trick? Or is it magic? All Michael knows is that he's now on the run from the cult, who will stop at nothing to claim the sacrifice they earmarked for their Goddess. The only way Michael may survive is to master his strange new skills and fight back, lest his death become the catalyst for the end of the world.

Sass2379

One Big Goof
Registered
Reaction score
I am totally interested in a beta swap. I have the same thoughts about my WIP. I feel that I'm just too darn close to it to be objective. I've never let anyone else ever look at it, but I think I just can't be objective about it. I would like to beta with someone who is willing to keep in touch a couple times a week, as well. My WIP is YA sci fi.

The story centers around a young man's coming of age after a devastating world war. He lives in a dystopian society after the war and he's okay with that because his life is predictable. Eventually, the government forces him out of the society and he embarks on a journey across the war ravaged land. He learns a thing or two about himself along the way and eventually returns home in an attempt to transform it.

Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

Receding Waters

How much for a cheeseburger?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ourchinaexperiment.wordpress.com
Sounds interesting.

At the moment I'm working on some edits. I just had a beta finish the MS and he pointed out some things I really want to work on before I get another set of eyes on the pages. I'm finishing up his MS now and then placing the edits in my own. I also have another beta lined up, but I'd love to get a third perspective, too. But I'd like to have a few more days to put some changes in there so there isn't a lot of redundancy in the feedback. How would you feel about setting up a swap in, say, about a week? I'm totally on board for yours if you don't mind the wait, but if that doesn't work for you that's cool, too.

Just let me know what works.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.