The Hug Me/Kick Me House

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Struggling to keep up with the challenge? Finding a story really tough? Lots of rejections getting you down?

If you need a hug, let us know. Virtual hugs are very powerful. If you need a kick, let us know. Virtual kicks are very powerful too. If you don't want either of those things, but feel like some reassurance that this is all worthwhile and that you do not suck, post here too. This challenge is going to be tough, but if we stick together we can make it through.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
I need a hug. :) I just got back 3 rejections in a 2-day time span (2, sent a month apart, within an hour of each other) from Fugue, Apex and Enchanted Conversation. I really thought I'd nailed the story for Enchanted Conversation, too, so that was disappointing. Oh well - I guess I'll try that one at Cabinet des Fees.

So I guess now we come to the downside of flooding the market... lol.

I'm debating what to do with the sci-fi story I sent to Apex. I might sub it to the Future Writers of the World contest when the new quarter opens in April (I already entered for this quarter) but I might like to try one of the quicker pro sci-fi markets before I tie it up there so long.

Blah.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that sucks! If it makes you feel any better, I got 6 in one week a couple of weeks ago. But really, every time you send a story out, you up the odds of its publication. Every rejection gets you closer. *hugs*

I'd send the sci-fi story to some of the markets that don't take long instead of waiting with it, definitely. You could sell it, or if it's rejected you could get a personal note with feedback that's helpful, certainly.

Someone I admire a great deal likes to point out that someone telling you "you're ugly, I won't go out with you" is a rejection, but a "no" from an editor is a purple heart that tells you you're in the game and that much closer to a "yes," and that everyone who has ever won a Pushcart Prize, a Pulitzer, an O'Henry Award (and the list goes on) got those "no" replies first.

He's a prize-winning writer who's had numerous first prizes, and ranked in the top 2 or 3 several times in comps like Bridport, Fish, lots of biggees. And it's nothing for him to rack up over 100 rejections in a year, while getting about 40-45 yes replies. His philosophy is, "I eat rejections like Popeye eats spinach." (I'd link to an old article, but it's at a competing site so I don't think I'm supposed to.)

I am trying to adopt his philosophy and kept telling myself that during the week of 6 "no" replies. Hope it helps!

Shelley

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I need to be hugged and/or kicked. I can't decide yet. I'm feeling really drained and haven't written anything since last week's bout of flash fiction. I think it's the allergies, but that's not really a good excuse.

Nicole

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Nicole, I managed one flash last week (and I mean flash--150 words) and a few micros. Didn't finish anything else. And anyway, yay on your flash. I know you'd been hoping for one soon.

Today, I opened two files on my WP and have bounced back and forth, tossing in a sentence, a phrase, a bit of dialogue, determined to make some sort of progress. Doing that got me going on one and I managed about 650 words before I even realized I'd gotten started. Maybe it's worth a try?

A list of prompts might also help, or a publication with an upcoming deadline with or without prompts.

Alternately, we can all file by you, hugging or kicking at random. I'm picturing that scene in Airplane! where people line up to slap the woman. I think the WP get-something-down-no-matter-what scenario would be more pleasant (for you, at least). :)

(And of course, if you're ill or suffering from allergies--which is a nightmare--maybe it's a good idea to just take it easy?)
Shelley

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*hugs for Always.*

Rejections suck, don't they? But you're a good writer. One of these days, probably sooner rather than later, you'll be telling us how you sold 3 stories in 2 days. :) Get 'em back out there. They can't sell any other way.

*And hugs for Nicole, too.*

I'm sure you'll bounce back into writing mode soon. Have some chocolate :) Allergies make heads fuzzy, don't they? Don't be too hard on yourself. You've been super-prolific so far this year. Plus, you're a good writer too. Right now, your brain's probably concocting an award-winning tale.

Hugs for everybody! :e2grouphu

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, thanks guys! I feel a little better. Maybe opening up my file could help. :)

I did have a crazy dream last night. It's usually my muse's way of telling me to do something creative with my brain. I'd better listen.

Nicole

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I could do with some kicking. Have hardly written any words this week, and i won't have a chance tomorrow night (Friday) so need to get cracking tonight.

Kickage plz! :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks for the kicks, Annie :) Got 1k written tonight, plus preliminary edits on one of my sub stories.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the part where we hug you? :D

*Opens arms tentatively* What the hell- :Hug2:

:D

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Good job, Izz. Sorry I was late to the kicking party. I had my boots all nice and polished too!

Nicole

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be needing a good, swift kick in order to get back to work.

I spent this entire week attending the Game Manufacturer's Association Trade Show in Las Vegas. It was great fun. Highlights included attending a social networking seminar hosted by SF author Michael Stackpole, and accepting an award on behalf of my company in front of about 1000 of the top gaming industry folks.

However, this also meant that I put ZERO words down on paper in the last week. Moreover, three rejections came in while I was away (from ChiZine, Arcane and Cabinet Des Fees). I need to roll up the sleeves and get back to business. I've already outlined my next story in my head, and I will not be taking off the "Kick Me" sign until I commit it to paper (or to a .doc file to be precise).

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like a great week.

Which means, fun's over, get writing!

:e2poke:

(and hopefully the writing is fun as well :) )

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sounds like a fun week all right, Alex.

*winds up for massive puntage*

Hopefully that'll help get you started.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
I just received my first real rejection from a BIG journal. They told me to wait 90 days for a response. At 110, I poked and they said "still considering" my piece. At day 155, I finally got the rejection.

I've only recently tried to sub my flash pieces. (I'm concentrating more on the edits to my novels.) But I want to do more with the flash.

Count me in. ;)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I just received my first real rejection from a BIG journal. They told me to wait 90 days for a response. At 110, I poked and they said "still considering" my piece. At day 155, I finally got the rejection.
Aww. *hugs* (though first Rs are really 'yays,' too)

I've only recently tried to sub my flash pieces. (I'm concentrating more on the edits to my novels.) But I want to do more with the flash.

Count me in. ;)
w00t! We hooked us a new writer! *square dances with glee*

:welcome: to W1S1, Regan. It's been a blast so far, and we've got the whole rest of the year ahead of us!

Don't forget to come hang out with us in the bar :)

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* and *kicks* and *nudges* for good measure. And more *hugs*

As I said in the other thread, I wrote some flash fiction to catch up. The need to have done enough was driving me insane so that worked :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hugkick for AllieKat.

I could do with some kicking, too. I have this afternoon set aside to write, but i've yet to do any (it's 3:20 pm here).

Sagana

Registered
Reaction score
*kick* We just watched Richard III so I've some good hard kicking available. Either off-with-his-son's-head flavor or my-kingdom-for-a-horse variety. Choose your poison.