Honoring the Fallen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Your link doesn't work.

Sorry about that - here's the post as it appears on military.com --

Posted Thu 10 March 2011 12:42 PM Thu 10 March 2011 12:42 PM Commentary by Maj. Joshua Zaker
62nd Airlift Wing command post chief

3/4/2011 - JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. -- There is one thing that causes everything to pause in a deployed C-17 pilot's day -- a fallen American Hero. Usually the first indication that you will be transporting a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine who has paid the ultimate price is your parking spot. Each parking spot is more or less useful for different types of cargo because of where they are in relation to the other things on the airport.

After their prayer is finished, they stand back up, face the transfer case, salute one last time and are dismissed. I dismiss my detail and walk back towards the flag draped transfer case silently. The officer and the chaplain come towards us and shake all of the crew members' hands.

"Thanks for taking him home."

Maj. Zaker is a friend of mine on Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Um...did you get permission to repost the content in full? If not, I'm pretty sure you should remove it. According to copyright law, it's copyright infringement to repost something in its entirety without the copyright holder's permission, even if you cite the source.

US Copyright Office said:
Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
2. The nature of the copyrighted work
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission. Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission.

(bolding and italicising mine)

If you do have permission to repost the content in full, you should edit your post to clarify that.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I hope I'm not in trouble for it. I think I clearly cited the source and author. It's also in a news source so I see no reason why it should create any copyright problems.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I hope I'm not in trouble for it. I think I clearly cited the source and author. It's also in a news source so I see no reason why it should create any copyright problems.

Because, if you don't have permission to post something in its entirety, you're infringing on the copyright. That's simply the law.

In exactly the same way that you can't copy the entire text of, say, one of the Harry Potter books on your website and say, well, it's not copyright infringement because I posted JK Rowling's copyright and cited the original publisher.

So why not ask the copyright owner if it's all right to repost, and let him decide? After all, it's his intellectual property and he gets to decide where it gets posted. If he's okay with it, all you have to do is add a note to your post that it was reposted with permission of the copyright owner. If he says no, you'll need to take it down.

This is a writers forum, and if we can't be bothered to respect other writers' copyrights here, how can we possibly expect others to respect our copyrights elsewhere?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We can actually run afoul of news sources for posting things in full. I redacted most of it with a redirect to following the link in post 7. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.