Can you link to a post and not go to separate page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1_

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to link to a post in a thread, but not have the link isolate the post on a separate page. The posts above and below are important context so I would like the link to just jump to the location in the thread where my post is located.

Is this possible?

Deleted member 42

I would like to link to a post in a thread, but not have the link isolate the post on a separate page. The posts above and below are important context so I would like the link to just jump to the location in the thread where my post is located.

Is this possible?

No; here's why.

The number of posts in a page is a preference setting.

The best thing is to send a link to the entire thread, and suggest they start reading at post # X, through post #X.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net

Is this possible?
I'm not quite sure if this is what you mean...

If for example I click on the #2 link at the top right of Medievalist's post, that post is displayed on its own. But, when viewing that single post, the Thread link at the top right, Can you link to a post and not go to separate page? gives a URL that displays the #2 post within the thread.

You can right-click on this link and copy the URL location to the clipboard, and then paste this into a post, as I did above. So it's a two-step process but it can be done... if that's your question?

-Derek

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
And, Medievalist, thank you for taking time to reply, much appreciated, especially given that you're senior technical support and webmaster, with tons of your own work to keep you busy.
Fixed that for you!

-Derek

Deleted member 42

If for example I click on the #2 link at the top right of Medievalist's post, that post is displayed on its own. But, when viewing that single post, the Thread link at the top right, Can you link to a post and not go to separate page? gives a URL that displays the #2 post within the thread.

Except if you have your settings in User CP under Edit options set to list 40 posts per page, and I have it set to 10, your pages, even using the same URL, won't show the same posts as mine do.

Moreover, if a user has their Thread display to show Threaded, they will have posts ordered not by time, but by the relationships of the posts to each other.

(Do what Derek said; I misunderstood the question and am going away now, sobbing . . .)

Last edited by a moderator:

b1_

Registered
Reaction score
Better keep an eye on your avatar . . . it might get all weird. ;)

It's like slapping Rupert Murdoch in the face then running for President. Dang, I always put my foot in it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.