Moderate Saudis gun down Radical Democratic Protesters

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
Police have reportedly opened fire at a rally in Saudi Arabia in an apparent effort to stop planned protests there, AP news agency has reported.

A witness in the eastern city of Qatif told AP that gunfire and stun grenades were fired at several hundred protesters marching in the city streets on Thursday.

The witness, speaking on condition of anonymity because he feared government reprisal, said police in the area opened fire. The witness saw at least one protester injured.

Government officials have warned they will take strong action if activists take to the streets after increasing calls for large protests around the country to press for democratic reforms

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/03/2011310185818570316.html

Saudi-King-Obama.jpg

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, after the downfall of the Tunisian and Egyptian governments, other oppressive rulers have become afraid of protests and take drastic measures to keep their power. Like what's happening in Libya and Bahrain.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
If people get angry enough, it doesn't really matter what the governments try.
At a certain point your only option is mass slaughter of your own population...which even a dictator has to recognize as pointless (although that's not to say they won't do it anyways, Hitler left his soldiers and civilian resistors of the Russian invasion to die at Berlin because he thought they had failed him in WWII...)

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moderate Saudis gun down Radical Democratic Protesters? Really?

Your title isn’t very accurate. While it’s inexcusable, there is a big difference between being “gunned down” and being “fired upon”.

I'm not defending the Saudi government, but according to WSJ Online they fired rubber bullets.

Saudi police fired rubber bullets Thursday to disperse at least 200 Shiite protesters in Qatif, a town in the oil-rich Eastern Province, according to local human rights activists. Summer Said has details from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Reminds me of the 1999 WTO demonstrations in Seattle.

400bullets.jpg

Nov. 30, 1999: A Seattle police officer aims a rubber-pellet weapon at a group of anti-WTO demonstrators at Sixth and Pine who were attempting to block access to the Washington State Convention and Trade Center.
I’m not really sure the Obama photo is any more pertinent to your post than these.

BushKiss2.jpg

At least President Obama kept him at arm's length.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
obama's president right now.

but i wouldnt have a problem with changing "gun down" to "fire upon".

the big saudi protest is planned for tomorrow. doubt this incident is gonna help defuse the situation.

stay tuned.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Hey CD? Just checking, you do know those last two are photoshopped, right? There's somethings I don't think even Mr. Cheney could get Pres. Bush to do.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
stop calling the saudis moderate would be a great first step.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i actually cant fault obama's policy that much so far, i think he's been handly a really volatile situation pretty admirably and maturely.

i think he's rightly telling america's dictators that shooting protesters is unacceptable by and the people have a right to protest. there isnt that much more he can or should do.

Reaction score
What leverage does he have if Saudi starts gunning people down in the streets?

Is there anything we can do?

I must admit. I'm a big fan of oil. It's a great product and want to keep having it since Obama and no President seems to come up with an energy policy that stops us from needing it especially from the dictators of the middle east.

How do we exert leverage and not have to walk to work and have our entire country collapse?

CDSinex

Imagine something clever here.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey CD? Just checking, you do know those last two are photoshopped, right? There's somethings I don't think even Mr. Cheney could get Pres. Bush to do.

According to Wolf Blitzer it’s real.

Here’s another clip that shows (mocks?) the whole thing. It's funny you mentioned Cheney.

It's true a photo freezes a moment in time; I never suggested they made out. I posted them in the same spirit as Bravo's photo of Obama. :) If you still feel the kiss never occurred I will take them down and replace them with this one from CBS news.

image690875g.jpg

Last edited:

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
you live in NYC! why do you drive?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
I was talking on behalf of the country.

Thank you.

well, personally, i think americans should walk more. itll cut down on gas consumption AND help with our obesity epidemic.

people often ask me how i look so good and i always tell them its three things:

1) i moisturize

2) take the stairs and walk everywhere

3) i have better genes then 99.999% of the human population. and that's being generous to everyone else.

so i'm fine with higher oil prices if it helps more americans lose weight and stay fit.

that said, i think there's little obama can do if (And that's a big "if") mass protests erupt in saudi arabia. the only way the saudis would be able to clamp down on something like that would be to go all gadaffi on the crowds, and obama would be averse to that. it'd be much better, ethically and strategically, to support the protests if they get to that point.

lets see if it gets that far.

i hope it does.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
well, personally, i think americans should walk more. itll cut down on gas consumption AND help with our obesity epidemic.

people often ask me how i look so good and i always tell them its three things:

1) i moisturize

2) take the stairs and walk everywhere

While I agree with you in general, relative to fitness, and especially taking the stairs, the "walk everywhere" dictum just doesn't cut it in most places. You ain't gonna "walk everywhere" living where I do, as one example among many.

3) i have better genes then 99.999% of the human population. and that's being generous to everyone else.

Thank you, Charlie Sheen. I was not aware you frequented AW.

so i'm fine with higher oil prices if it helps more americans lose weight and stay fit.

There are pros and cons involved with higher oil prices. One of the big "cons" is what this does to people trying to stay warm in cold climates. Particularly poor people and isolated rural communities. I'm of the opinion that our Federal gasoline taxes are ridiculously low (currently 18.4 cents per gallon, about 5% of the retail price). It always amazes me that the public thinks we can get much lower gasoline prices by lowering the Federal tax on it. Individual state taxes are in the same order of magnitude, with the highest in the country being only about twice the Fed rate, and many states being lower than the Fed. Taxation on gasoline ain't the problem for prices, people.

that said, i think there's little obama can do if (And that's a big "if") mass protests erupt in saudi arabia.

Correct. Remember that, if things get bad there, because Republicans are going to be clamoring for him to "do something".

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
While I agree with you in general, relative to fitness, and especially taking the stairs, the "walk everywhere" dictum just doesn't cut it in most places. You ain't gonna "walk everywhere" living where I do, as one example among many.

thats why more people should move to cities; theyd be more liberal, tolerant, and healthier.

Thank you, Charlie Sheen. I was not aware you frequented AW.

no way.

i have better abs.

Correct. Remember that, if things get bad there, because Republicans are going to be clamoring for him to "do something".

i have a feeling, in this case, republicans would be calling on obama to send troops to support the saudis against the protesters.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm disappointed but not surprised that when the uprising spreads to Saudi Arabia the conversation in the U.S. focuses on the price of oil. Just a few days ago the conversation was all about what it meant for them rather than for us.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
looks like the house of saud gets to enjoy their theocracy for another day:

.. demonstrations planned in Saudi Arabia failed to materialise in the wake of a security clampdown.

Demonstrations in Saudi Arabia were supposed to start in after Friday prayers at noon but as the mosques emptied there were no signs of rallies, with security forces manning checkpoints in key locations across several cities.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2011/03/2011311141047609595.html