Agency's letterhead in E-Query?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I looked for the answer, could not find. So I ask.

When sending an e-query do you start it with the agent and agency's letter head? For Example:

Ms. Agent
Agency name
Agency Address

Dear Ms. Agent:

Now, I think this is nice to do, because it shows that you know who you are querying, but I also think it takes up space, and the agent knows who they are and where they work. What do you think?

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I started all mine
Dear Ms. Agent
without the business snail mail letter approach. I can't remember why-- but I know I looked up various sources to be sure whether or not to make the email look snail-mail-ish.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I put:

Agent name
Agency name

Dear Ms. (or Mr.) Agent

I don't think you have to do that, but I don't think it's one of those things that will cause an insta-reject or anything.

(Part of me doing it is for me--I can see the agent and agency in one line of my gmail without having to open the mail.)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I do the same thing as PinkAmy now, after doing research for best email approach. There's no need to include full name & agency name, etc.

Then I put all my contact info at the end after my "e-signature."

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! This is great news.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Janet Reid is always complaining about headers on Query Shark and she makes a very important point.

It's likely that your query will be read on a Blackberry or iPhone. So you want as much of the letter to show in that tiny window as you can. "Dear Agent" leaves 6-15 lines of text still viewable on the agent's device--the more header info there is, the less info about your brilliant book they can see right away.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I started all mine
Dear Ms. Agent
without the business snail mail letter approach. I can't remember why-- but I know I looked up various sources to be sure whether or not to make the email look snail-mail-ish.

What she said

Danthia

Janet Reid is always complaining about headers on Query Shark and she makes a very important point.

It's likely that your query will be read on a Blackberry or iPhone. So you want as much of the letter to show in that tiny window as you can. "Dear Agent" leaves 6-15 lines of text still viewable on the agent's device--the more header info there is, the less info about your brilliant book they can see right away.

This :) For these reasons.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Hey all, I looked for the answer, could not find. So I ask.

When sending an e-query do you start it with the agent and agency's letter head? For Example:

Ms. Agent
Agency name
Agency Address

Dear Ms. Agent:

Now, I think this is nice to do, because it shows that you know who you are querying, but I also think it takes up space, and the agent knows who they are and where they work. What do you think?

Not in an equry- just dear Ms. or Mr. Whomever.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! I feel a little foolish now that I think of all that time I spent painstakingly making sure the zipcode was correct.