PDA

View Full Version : I Almost Gave a 20-year old Kid a Heart Attack!

Alpha Echo
03-10-2011, 07:58 PM
This morning, I went into the break room for my coffee, and this young kid was sitting at a table with his laptop.

After a few moments, he asked, "So, are you like, other than me, the youngest person working here?" (I work with about 200 people who came here to retire).

I smiled. "How old are you?"

"20."

I laughed out loud. "I'll be 30 on Sunday. But thank you!"

The kid's jaw literally dropped. I thought that was more of an expression than anything, but no, it dropped. "Are you lying to me?"

Me. Still laughing. Shook my head. "I wish I were, but I'm not at all. But again, thank you! You just made my day!"

regdog
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
:)

Tepelus
03-11-2011, 01:09 AM
In my mid to late twenties, I was still getting carded for cigarettes and alcohol. It used to annoy me. I'm 33 now and I don't get carded for either. Have I aged that much in the past few years? :cry:

night-flyer
03-11-2011, 01:20 AM
That's always nice to hear, Alpha. When I tell people that I have two grown kids, they always say that that's impossible. hehe, good to know I don't look as old as I am, or how I feel. ;)

scarletpeaches
03-11-2011, 01:48 AM
I got stopped by a truant officer when I was 24 and asked why I wasn't in school. :D

Soccer Mom
03-11-2011, 01:52 AM
I hate all you fresh-faced youn'uns.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

MissMacchiato
03-11-2011, 03:14 AM
LOL that's so sweet.

I get carded all the time, and I'll be 26 in a month or two. The funny part is that Australian legal drinking age is 18, not 21, so I'm 8 years older that drinking age and still getting asked for ID. My sister gets asked as well, and she's 29 next month.

It's flattering, I guess.

Victoria
03-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Will you guys please stop teasing me with these thread titles? Man, I thought this one was gonna be juicy. Darn it. Anyway, I am blessed with one of those faces that retains youthful contours quite well. I just wish I had stayed out of the sun when I was a teenager. I still look pretty good for almost 40, and most people think I look about ten years younger. As the sun damage rears its ugly head, I don't expect that to last for much longer. I will enjoy while it does.

Shadow_Ferret
03-11-2011, 04:08 AM
I think its so cute how someone who's only 30 calls a 20-year-old a kid.

Silver King
03-11-2011, 04:40 AM
If I get drunk enough later, I'm going to alter the thread title and replace "heart attack" with "hard on."

MissMacchiato
03-11-2011, 04:45 AM
Ptch, SK, that's not something unusual. 20 year olds get hard-ons all the damn time.

*snickers quietly in an utterly childish manner*

rhymegirl
03-11-2011, 04:48 AM
If I get drunk enough later, I'm going to alter the thread title and replace "heart attack" with "hard on."

Do it!

night-flyer
03-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Oh, a dare!! I'll be back after the name change to see how people respond to the OP then. :D

Victoria
03-11-2011, 04:57 AM
Ptch, SK, that's not something unusual. 20 year olds get hard-ons all the damn time.

*snickers quietly in an utterly childish manner*

Tell that to my 40 year old husband who can't keep it down. I really thought he'd outgrow that...guess I just got lucky.:hooray:

MissMacchiato
03-11-2011, 05:05 AM
LOL, Vic! Guess you did!

Silver King
03-11-2011, 05:29 AM
Yes, but the funny part would be that she almost gave him one.

Do it!

Oh, a dare!! I'll be back after the name change to see how people respond to the OP then. :D
If nothing else, the thread would get a lot more views!

Tepelus
03-11-2011, 05:42 AM

This coming from Megalops Erectus.

Silver King
03-11-2011, 05:54 AM
This coming from Megalops Erectus.
The irony is staggering, I'll admit.

tiny
03-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Last time I was carded was two years ago. I'll be 41 next week.

Oh holy hell.

Tell that to my 40 year old husband who can't keep it down. I really thought he'd outgrow that...guess I just got lucky.:hooray:

I feel that way about marrying a medic. They memorize the map.

jennontheisland
03-11-2011, 06:00 AM
I love the look they get. I'm 36 and doing an undergrad degree. My calculator is older than most of these kids. And the one who thought I was in my early 20s... I picked up his books for him after he finally asked me how old I am. (he dropped them in the hall on the way to our math lab)

backslashbaby
03-11-2011, 07:26 AM
I let my classmates (fairly recently) think I was in my early 30's, and one guy let us all think he wasn't (aaack) 22! He seemed so much older. So we got on seeming like 33ish and 30ish, when it was really 38 and 22.

Later, Facebook outed me to those classmates by having my 20 year reunion come up :ROFL:

Alan Yee
03-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I let my classmates (fairly recently) think I was in my early 30's, and one guy let us all think he wasn't (aaack) 22! He seemed so much older. So we got on seeming like 33ish and 30ish, when it was really 38 and 22.

Later, Facebook outed me to those classmates by having my 20 year reunion come up :ROFL:

I don't know. You could have been a super-genius who graduated high school at the age of twelve or thirteen. :D

Satori1977
03-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I am 33 and get carded all the time. I don't find it flattering, I hate it. When I am 40 and look 25, I think I will like it. But I am married, have two kids, and still get treated like a kid myself.

WildScribe
03-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I think its so cute how someone who's only 30 calls a 20-year-old a kid.

I call them kids, too. I have been through the severe trauma of growing up as a caregiver to my suddenly disabled mother, marriage, motherhood, buying a house, losing a house, a probably a lot more that I am too tired to think of right now as relevant. Nevertheless, I am a world away in both maturity and experience from your average 20 year old.

I used to get looks from the cops, but pushing a toddler around (in a stroller) usually convinces them I'm not delinquent. I do, however, still sometimes get asked if my mother is home when people do sales calls door to door. I tell them no and shut it in their faces.

Cliff Face
03-11-2011, 12:27 PM
I got carded for cigarettes and alcohol quite frequently up until the age of about 24... (Legal age here is 18.) One time at a supermarket a middle-aged woman threatened to confiscate my ID and call the cops because she didn't believe I was 23. She said I looked about 15 at the oldest.

Actually, even at 26 (almost 27) that I am now, there's still this one woman in the smoke shop that asks me for ID every time I go in after I've shaved that morning.

So, if I've shaved, I probably look about 17-19, young enough to warrant carding. If I don't shave, I look about 23-25, I guess, which is pretty close to my actual 26-almost-27 age.

*shrug*

My mum is 56, and she still gets people who are surprised when she says she has a 26-year-old son. They refuse to believe her, then she tells them that I'm the youngest, and the eldest is currently 34.

So I inherited the young features from my mum. :)

Alpha Echo
03-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Hehe...ditto. My husband will be 37 tomorrow, and I am ashamed to admit that there are times when he outlasts me...not often, but once in awhile...

Elaine Margarett
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but many establishments have iron-clad rules that anyone under the age of elderly gets carded; no exceptions.

By making it so encompassing it sets the habit among employees of always asking for ID and therefore avoiding the possibility of someone underage getting served. Better to be safe than run afoul of the law and get hit with big fines.

EM,
who gets carded all the time but not because I think I'm the vision of youth, lol.

Alpha Echo
03-11-2011, 05:31 PM
You're right Elaine. when I lived in NY, they could have cared less. I moved to VA ,they card everyone.

Well, honestly, they don't card my husband often. Only me when we go out.

But you're right - you can't really count being carded as a compliment because they're just doing their job. I didn't say that to my BFF when she told me she'd been carded the other day. LOL. Because I love her, but she doesn't look younger than 21.

Which is why this bit from the 20-year old kid made my day. THAT is truly a compliment.

My husband, of course, gave me a hard time about it and said that now he has to worry about me being picked up by 20-year olds as well as everyone else. LOL

Elaine Margarett
03-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Whenever someone asks me to guess their age I always go ten years younger than I think they are. Can't get into trouble that way, lol. People can be so vain. <g>

I can only assume others do the same thing~

Alpha Echo
03-11-2011, 07:03 PM
10 years younger? See, that's too obvious. :tongue

Besides, this was different. I didn't ask the kid how old he thought I was. When he asked me if we were the youngest people working here, I asked how old he was then told him my age.

It was great, but I still had a pretty crappy day yesterday lol.

Elaine Margarett
03-11-2011, 07:49 PM

lol.

Yeah, you would think...<g>

Alan Yee
03-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Yes, especially when the person is only 20 or 25 to begin with.

Satori1977
03-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Elaine, I do understand that. They really have to be careful and card a lot of people. But I have had many, MANY people tell me I look 18 to 20 years old...more than a decade younger than I am.

And my husband, who is only a year older, never gets carded. He looks exactly his age though.

Lyra Jean
03-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Satori the same thing happens with me. Although I don't have children. Most of them tell me to my face that I'm lying. I just say, yeah I'm lying about being 31 when it's so much easier to believe I'm 20.

I've even shown these people ID when I had it on me and they swore it was a fake ID. Gah! Luckily, they were few and far between.

I'm a cashier, I card everyone so unless you look like your eighty I might not sell you alcohol if you don't have your ID. I've had two co-workers arrested and lose their jobs for selling to underage people and not carding them.

Satori1977
03-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Lyra, same here. I have had people tell me I am lying. Not just cashiers, but people I worked with. I once had to take out my drivers license because several people at my old job didn't believe me.

Sometimes I wonder what people think when they see me with my kids. Either I am a babysitter/older sister, or got pregnant when I was 12. LOL

backslashbaby
03-12-2011, 08:30 AM
My sister could pass for under 21, and she's a little older than me. We inherited completely different skin types!

I'm not a bit bothered by being or looking 40, btw. I'm going to sound stupid, but I do think it adds character :) You might keep your age to yourself if you have a thing for a 30 year-old, however ;)