Need help with Microsoft Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
When typing a manuscript, I like to be able to open it and go immediately to the last word saved. It sure beats opening on the first page and having to scroll through all your pages . . . which could be many pages. I used to be able to do this with my old word processor, Word Perfect. Now I use the standard Microsoft Office Word 2007. Is there someone who could tell me how to do this with Microsoft Word 2007? Thanks.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how to do that in MS2007. But, if you use the Document Map feature, you can have all your bookmarks laid out in a pane on the left-hand side. Click a bookmark link and, voila, it goes straight to it. You'd just have to add a bookmark to the last line before you saved if you wanted it to go there.

HtH.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I dunno if there is a way to do that.

Whenever I'm ready to save & quit a doc I type xxx so I can search for this string when I open the doc again. Takes me right back to where I left off. I've seen other members mention similar tricks.

-Derek

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I seem to remember someone posting something about that feature. Have you searched the archives? You might try that.

Me? I can't be bothered with something like that. If I'm not working at the end, I just type *** where I stopped, and when I reopen the file, I search on ***. So that's a workaround you can use if you can't find the actual feature or if it doesn't exist.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Pressing SHIFT + F5 should take you to the last edit you made to the file, but I seem to recall it didn't always work. That may have been fixed, now, though. (Can't test it here, unfortunately, as my version is older.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about just going to the end of the document?

If so, just press Ctrl + End at the same time.

Ineti

Purveyor of Prose
Registered
Reaction score

That would be my suggestion as well.

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Wow! Thanks for the great suggestions. This one above worked best for me. I really appreciate it.

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
If you return after ***, Word cheerfully inserts an ugly line break. If you have that problem, I'd suggest typing 'tk' at the point you're editing instead, just before you quit. tk doesn't appear often in English, so when you reopen your document Ctrl + F tk and it should take you straight to where you want.

It's handy if you've got multiple points of interest you need to work on -- tk1, tk2, tk3, etc.

Val367

Registered
Reaction score
This one by Froley is one that I've heard of before. Seems to work pretty well for marking points of interest.

Ctrl-End was going to be my comment but I'm tooooooooo slow :)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
If you return after ***, Word cheerfully inserts an ugly line break.

Yeah. That's why it's a good idea to turn that bit of auto-formatting off. Like it's a good idea to turn most of Word's auto-formatting off for manuscripts. :D

The auto-formatting is designed to help people creating business documents and will drive you nuts when you're doing something simpler (or more complex, for that matter, but that's a topic for a no-longer-existing forum LOL). Turn. It. Off!

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
Yeah. That's why it's a good idea to turn that bit of auto-formatting off. Like it's a good idea to turn most of Word's auto-formatting off for manuscripts.

I like to work with Word's "idiosyncrasies". It helps me feel the kind of conflicts my protagonists are engaged in! :tongue

Of course, turning off those auto-corrects would be the smart thing to do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.