PDA

View Full Version : Remake of The Stand?

seun
03-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Probably news only to me, but...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/03/stephen-king-10-things-i-know-about-the-remake-of-the-stand/

regdog
03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
No, it's news to me too. And may I ask, why are they remaking this????

firedrake
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree with the Big Fella, no way can they fit all that into a 2 hour film. Gary Sinise was perfect as Stu Redman. Molly Ringwald...no, she didn't work for me. But I thought the TV mini series made a pretty good job of it.

I don't think it'll fly. They'd have to sacrifice too much of the story.

eta: oh, yeah, Rutger Hauer would've made the perfect Walkin' Dude.

seun
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
I did like the original but it's flawed in places. Maybe down to the limits of what they can do on TV or budget.

The guy who played Larry - keep him for the remake. OK, he'll be twenty years older by the time they get round to it, but he was cool.

Satori1977
03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Like most remakes, I am not sure about this. I loved Gary Sinise and can't imagine anyone else playing the part. There were some cheesy parts to the movie, and maybe they could make it better. But no way could they fit everything into a 2 hour movie.

ChaosTitan
03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
My concerns are pretty much the same. How do you condense a 1000-page novel with dozens of important characters into a two-to-three hour movie? They'll have to sacrifice a hell of a lot of story (and characters) to make it work.

seun
03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
But no way could they fit everything into a 2 hour movie.

How do you condense a 1000-page novel with dozens of important characters into a two-to-three hour movie?

Totally agree. Make it an epic film or don't make it.

Camilla Delvalle
03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Maybe if they make it longer and rewrite the ending.

ChaosTitan
03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
As much as I'd like to see it done as a trilogy of films (as SK suggests in the article), I don't know if the project would have the same big, world-wide audience as LOTR did. Remaking it at all is a huge risk, but trying to smash it into a single, feature-length film is just dumb.

And I adore Matt Frewer, but I think Billy Bob Thorton could *own* Trashcan Man. :D

dragonjax
03-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Want to know what's epic? The graphic novelization of THE STAND. Truly terrifying to read, and magnificent to behold. If they want to do this, they should use the graphic novels as a guideline and make THE STAND a one-shot series, say, on HBO. If done right, it would be brilliant.

I'm not holding my breath.

ChaosTitan
03-10-2011, 07:28 PM
If they want to do this, they should use the graphic novels as a guideline and make THE STAND a one-shot series, say, on HBO. If done right, it would be brilliant.

Oooh. Only if it's done by Dreamworks, in association with Playtone, directed by S. Spielberg and produced by Tom Hanks. Then we *know* it will rock!

(yes, I'm daydreaming....what?)

Manuel Royal
03-10-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd rather see a miniseries on HBO. And the second half completely rewritten.

I agree with Stephen King about Gary Sinise.

Jersey Chick
03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
The Stand was the first thing I ever saw Gary Sinise in and I've been a fan of his ever since. No one else can play that role.

And I may be the only person in the world who prefers The Shining miniseries over the Kubrick film. The miniseries stayed truer to the book and despite being a Jack Nicholson fan, he was about 15 years too old for the part of Jack Torrence, IMHO.

Satori1977
03-10-2011, 09:29 PM
The Stand was made into a graphic novel? That I have to check out.

I am definitely all for it being a miniseries on HBO too. Spielberg and Hanks? That is made of win!!

I have yet to see The Shining miniseries.

darkprincealain
03-10-2011, 10:42 PM
This was one of the better miniseries. And the guy who played Larry should come back. I had a little teensy bit of a crush the first go around.

seun
03-10-2011, 10:43 PM
And the guy who played Larry should come back. I had a little teensy bit of a crush the first go around.

That's what I said. Well, sort of. ;)

darkprincealain
03-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Ah heck, between what I wrote there and "I was bothered by the actor who played the nerd," I didn't know what else to say.

Oh and the guy who was the judge on Picket Fences did a good job as well, I thought. If I recall correctly, he has since passed away.

seun
03-10-2011, 11:41 PM
The guy who played Judge Farris? He rocked. Sad to hear he's passed.

Manuel Royal
03-11-2011, 01:28 AM
That'd be Ray Walston. He died on the first day of the 21st century, at 86. Great character actor.

Shadow_Ferret
03-11-2011, 04:43 AM
I didn't know there was a first make.

Jersey Chick
03-11-2011, 04:44 AM
It aired back in 1993 or 1994 over three or four days. Every so often, SyFy reruns it. I saw it the first time from beginning to end, but haven't seen it in its entirety since.

defcon6000
03-11-2011, 05:59 AM
I didn't know there was a first make.
Same. But now I have to go see it. :D

Manuel Royal
03-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Same. But now I have to go see it. :DWell, the opening sequence is terrific. Good use of "Don't Fear the Reaper". The acting is generally good (especially Gary Sinise), and there are some truly arresting scenes. It has most of the strengths and weaknesses of the novel.

screenscope
03-11-2011, 06:39 AM
I've never seen the original, so I will check it out. I reread the book last year and agree a 2-3 hour movie just couldn't do it justice.

Slushie
03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Dear Warner Bros and CBS Films,

Please do not do this.

Sincerely,
Slushie

Camilla Delvalle
03-12-2011, 06:07 PM
When I watched The Walking Dead it reminded me very much of The Stand. If they want to remake The Stand it would be cool if they made a tv-series similar to The Walking Dead. They could have several episodes where the characters are travelling over the dead country and about when they live in Boulder, with new material added. And I'd like the deus ex machina ending to be rewritten. On the other hand, I don't feel a need for one more of this kind of series since there will hopefully be a continuation to The Walking Dead.

brainstorm77
03-12-2011, 06:14 PM
I can't say that I ever thought to compare the two since The Stand does not have zombies.:Shrug:

Satori1977
03-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I can somewhat see the similarities. In both, many people are dead, and they rest of the world has to come together to make a new life.

But The Stand as a TV show could work. Not on network tv, but on HBO or Showtime. Could be interesting.

zahra
03-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Wasn't the baddie the guy who played Goren and Eames's boss in Criminal Intent?

I'm not fond of the original mini-series, too full of mature cheddar, but any remake would have to be a lot longer than two hours, agreed.

Will have a muse re dream cast.

firedrake
03-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Wasn't the baddie the guy who played Goren and Eames's boss in Criminal Intent?

Heehee, yes. I used to watch Criminal Intent and see him and couldn't quite reconcile the two characters. lol!

Jcomp
03-13-2011, 02:26 AM
They should either make it a trilogy (almost certainly a no-go due to budget / profit uncertainties) or make it another series, this time on F/X, AMC or HBO, where you can go the distance and have enough time to tell a better chunk of the story.

While we're on the topic, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like the whole Captain Tripps saga and the immediate aftermath of the devastating pandemic is easily the most interesting and captivating part of the story... right?

ChaosTitan
03-13-2011, 06:05 PM
While we're on the topic, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like the whole Captain Tripps saga and the immediate aftermath of the devastating pandemic is easily the most interesting and captivating part of the story... right?

*raises hand*

I love post-disaster stories, especially ones where small pockets of survivors have to learn to cope and come together. The first half of the miniseries, up until the first group reaches Boulder, is the best in my opinion. Some of the stuff after (cleanup, the Committee, getting the power on) was terrific, too. But all of the Walking Dude versus Mother Abigail versus God stuff was okay, and not my favorite. It was there to create a a climactic finale, which could have been achieved in another way (but history has shown that ending his epic stories isn't really King's strong suit).

seun
03-13-2011, 06:53 PM
It was there to create a a climactic finale, which could have been achieved in another way (but history has shown that ending his epic stories isn't really King's strong suit).

Hmmm....I think it was there for more than a climatic finale. You have this epic battle between good and evil and then the question of whether or not we have learned anything. That question coming after this battle that required so much sacrifice is one of the most powerful parts of the story.

ChaosTitan
03-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Hmmm....I think it was there for more than a climatic finale. You have this epic battle between good and evil and then the question of whether or not we have learned anything. That question coming after this battle that required so much sacrifice is one of the most powerful parts of the story.

But you can achieve a good vs evil climax without it being so blatantly God vs. the Devil, as it was with The Stand. But that also goes back to my irritation with the undercurrent idea that God allowed/caused the flu plague in order to wipe out most of mankind and start again with a group of God-fearing followers (a la Noah's flood).

*shrug*

seun
03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
But you can achieve a good vs evil climax without it being so blatantly God vs. the Devil, as it was with The Stand.

Totally agree. It still rocks, though. ;)