PDA

View Full Version : Pardon me?

seun
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
This morning, my wife mentioned she was going to be like Jack Bauer at work (as in not take any crap from anyone, not spend the day shouting at people about who they're working for and where's the bomb, damn it). What I heard was:

"I'm going to be like black power today."

Which is a whole other mental picture.

So, anything you've misheard that completely changes the meaning of what was actually said?

Sophia
03-10-2011, 03:37 PM
My most recent one of these was written down, rather than spoken. My hubby had written something on last week's shopping list which had me scratching my head. I just couldn't read it as anything other than what my brain was interpreting it as, and eventually just had to ask, "What's 'death mace'?"

regdog
03-10-2011, 04:04 PM
I've lost some of my hearing, so I can't understand what's being said when someone in the other room is talking. Somehow I heard "Where's the turkey thong?" Instead of "What time is the game on?"

Needless to say, my partial hearing loss has led me to live an interesting life:D

scarletpeaches
03-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Last time seun PM'd me to say, "Look, stop it, I'm a respectable married man. This obsession has to stop," I read it as "Hey, baby. How you doin'?" :e2brows:

seun
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Damn it. That was supposed to be private.

Now excuse me while I laugh loudly at regdogs's example and try to work out what death mace is.

RobJ
03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
I had a strange conversation with a Welsh guy once about Billy Joel. He was saying Billy Joel, I was hearing Village Hall. I was saying Village Hall, he was hearing Billy Joel. Anyone here know any songs by Village Hall? Not me.

Related but slightly different, I was talking to my wife a few months ago and said the word banana. Somehow, it came out as Barbara. I have no idea why. This is not good.

backslashbaby
03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
My friend from Manchester was talking about squivels. It took me forever to figure out what a squivel was :ROFL:

Hint: they're furry.

Mr Flibble
03-10-2011, 10:37 PM
One of my mate's kids (at about 3). 'Dad, Dad, look, I've got a fuckall'

seun
03-10-2011, 10:44 PM

We have a winner.

Mr Flibble
03-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Not quite as embarrassing as the time my 18 month old ran round a pub garden with a packet of peanuts shouting 'Penis!'

bettielee
03-10-2011, 11:25 PM

I have a blue one of those.

cray
03-10-2011, 11:26 PM
:roll:

i have idea what that means, bettie, but it's funny.

Rose English
03-10-2011, 11:29 PM

:ROFL:

Any idea what they meant? Football?

Mr Flibble
03-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Freckle - yeah it took us him pointing to it to get it.

Rose English
03-10-2011, 11:38 PM
and in answer to your question, to this day my husband says he only got as far as "will you ma-" before I jumped on him saying "Yes! Yes I'll marry you!"

seun
03-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Not quite as embarrassing as the time my 18 month old ran round a pub garden with a packet of peanuts shouting 'Penis!'

Sounds perfectly sensible to me.

Satori1977
03-10-2011, 11:57 PM
My husband and I are always doing this. We both have bad hearing, and are constantly hearing really weird, off the wall stuff.

And it is extremely fun with a toddler, when they have a hard time saying certain things. My son is really into Thomas the Train. One of his trains is Percy....but when he says it it sounds like a slang word for a certain woman's anatomy. Do I have to spell it out?

It is really funny when we are out in public and he says it. "Did your son just say P***??"

cptwentworth
03-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Years ago during college I was working as a waitress taking a large group's order. The woman told me she wanted "the ranch on the side" of her salad. Her little girl looked up to her and said, "Mommy, did you say tarantulas on the side?"

Out of the mouth of babes...

seun
03-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Well, there's one way for people to lose weight.

Cella
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Me: "Oh, my back is sore..."
My son, (3): "You have a dinosaur?"

deborahlea
03-11-2011, 12:40 AM
This morning, my wife mentioned she was going to be like Jack Bauer at work (as in not take any crap from anyone, not spend the day shouting at people about who they're working for and where's the bomb, damn it). What I heard was:

"I'm going to be like black power today."

I wish this were condensed into a tweet so I could RT it. :)

I think this is my favorite thread ever.

Satori1977
03-11-2011, 01:18 AM
My son just asked me if I had any hoes. I don't think he meant what I am thinking.

Ok, now he just said he needs to get me some hoes. LOL

mirandashell
03-11-2011, 07:16 PM
and in answer to your question, to this day my husband says he only got as far as "will you ma-" before I jumped on him saying "Yes! Yes I'll marry you!"

Did he ever get the cup of coffee he was asking for?

pdblake
03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
My son once ran around shouting f***ing b**tard with a lump of lego in his hand. It took quite a while to realise he was shouting "rocket blaster". He sees a speech therapist btw so we often give him the benefit of the doubt:D

Once I came home and found that he'd drawn a penis, with ribs all the way up it and was holding it in front of him. He honestly looked like he was pretending to masturbate. Then he shouted, "Look at me play the guitar daddy!"

Yep, those ribs were frets:D