Distribution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eris

Green. Super green.
Registered
Reaction score
For my first non-fiction book, I have recently asked for quotes from McNaughton & Gunn, Thomson-Shore, QuadGraphics, and other such printers. If I should choose one of these companies to print my book, how do I hook up distribution? (For instance, I would go with a place like LightningSource and get it all done at once, but just glancing at its endless requirements for things such as formatting makes my eyes bleed.) I would want its info sent to Baker & Taylor, Ingram, Bowker Books in Print, Amazon, B&N, etc.
- Is there a company that does just that, and if so, how much should I expect it to cost?
- Is it something I can easily do and should do on my own?
- Is there a reputable printer that would do both printing & distribution only? (I own the ISBN, copyright, & pub co.)

I figure this has been asked somewhere, and if so, my apologies. I can't seem to find specific threads at the moment.

cameron_chapman

Makes Things Up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronchapman.com
I'll do my best to answer your questions with the limited knowledge I have.

Lightning Source is a printer (POD). They distribute through Ingram. So if you print your books through LSI, you'll be included in the Ingram catalog (though that doesn't mean bookstores will actually order your book, just that it will be available to them if they choose to do so).

Baker & Taylor has their own POD operation going, which distributes through them. Again, it just gets you in the catalog, not necessarily into stores.

Amazon will list your book if you're distributed through Ingram, as will Barnes & Noble (on their website). Borders, I believe, uses B&T (as do libraries, if I remember correctly).

Your ISBN will get your book into the Bowker Books in Print listing (if it was purchased in the U.S., that is).

As an indie author, you'll need to do the legwork yourself if you want to be placed in physical bookstores. There's a woman who has self-published novels who has done just that, but I can't remember the link off the top of my head. It's a process, and you'll have to be willing to accept returns, but it can be done if your book is good.

The other option is to use a regular offset printer and contract for distribution. I have no idea what the cost for that is, but it's pricey. Plus, you'll need to pay for all the books up front, plus the space to hold them, and if they don't sell, you're stuck with thousands of books taking up space. For a first-time author, especially, you're usually better off going POD.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Create Space is a printer and relatively cheap. It will get your books listed on line almost everywhere but it doesn't guarantee to get them into bookstores or libraries. You'd have to do that yourself.

Smaddux

Registered
Reaction score
Website
stephaniemaddux.blogspot.com
I agree with the create space. It is cheap and as it is your first book, you might want to not get your hopes too high and spend a lot of money up front. You can also go digital and make it into an ebook too.

Eris

Green. Super green.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the replies!

From my research, I understand that POD is not going to be as good of quality as just going to a good offset printer to get it printed. My book is full color with plenty of photos, and it simply has to look awesome. Money is not my concern. (Well, it is to an extent; I would have it printed hardback if I could afford it, but besides that.) I'm thinking that getting it made by a good printer is the best way to go at this juncture. I also have no problem doing the legwork involved with getting the book listed and publicized. I already have a prelimiary schedule drawn up for the latter. Also, this is my first book of six I will have printed up in the next two years, and I don't want to do e-books until the print versions are out.

The first book's cover:
ccpcover.jpg

I don't want it to look cheap and/or crappy. =)

So far I have gotten quotes from Colorwise, Quad/Graphics, and Thomson-Shore. (Q/G is now charging sales tax out of state.) I am just not sure how to go about getting my book listed with Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc. once it's printed up. Thanks for the heads-up on Bowker. Is an Amazon listing something I can do myself? If I sell directly, through Amazon, do you know if they get as large of a chunk as if they were selling it themselves?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Thanks very much for the replies!

From my research, I understand that POD is not going to be as good of quality as just going to a good offset printer to get it printed. My book is full color with plenty of photos, and it simply has to look awesome. Money is not my concern. (Well, it is to an extent; I would have it printed hardback if I could afford it, but besides that.) I'm thinking that getting it made by a good printer is the best way to go at this juncture. I also have no problem doing the legwork involved with getting the book listed and publicized. I already have a prelimiary schedule drawn up for the latter. Also, this is my first book of six I will have printed up in the next two years, and I don't want to do e-books until the print versions are out.

The first book's cover:
ccpcover.jpg

I don't want it to look cheap and/or crappy. =)

So far I have gotten quotes from Colorwise, Quad/Graphics, and Thomson-Shore. (Q/G is now charging sales tax out of state.) I am just not sure how to go about getting my book listed with Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc. once it's printed up. Thanks for the heads-up on Bowker. Is an Amazon listing something I can do myself? If I sell directly, through Amazon, do you know if they get as large of a chunk as if they were selling it themselves?

I do like the cover!

Not to be a dark cloud, but have you researched the market to make sure you don't have a lot of competition? It seems like quite an interesting topic!

Eris

Green. Super green.
Registered
Reaction score
I know my market in and out, and there is zero competition. ;)

Eris

Green. Super green.
Registered
Reaction score
That's kind of what I'm thinkin'! Hehe! =)

Still need to figure out distribution though...

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .I figure this has been asked somewhere, and if so, my apologies. I can't seem to find specific threads at the moment.
Let me recommend that you buy and read one or both of the two most prominent books on self-publishing:

• Self-Publishing Manual, by Dan Poynter (Para Publishing)
  • Complete Guide to Self-Publishing, by Marilyn Ross and Sue Collier (Writer’s Digest Books)
--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.