Simultaneous Submissions

Writer-2-Author

Registered
Reaction score
I am attending a writers conference this summer where there will be several agents on hand to pitch to. I'm looking at pitching my book to five of them. When agents go to these conferences, do they understand that people will be pitching to several agents? Are they ok with simultaneous submissions since they know in advance there will be several agents to pitch to? Or, do you pitch until the first agent asks to see more and then pitch no more???

Thanks,
Robin

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me most agents allow sim subs. The recommended approach to finding an agent (even by mail) is to query in batches, and if one makes an offer give the others who've shown interest an opportunity to counteroffer. I doubt anyone at a convention is going to expect an exclusive opportunity.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be obvious to them that, at a conference, you're going to be pitching to more than one person. So I think it'll be all right!

Connie Briscoe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writerrevealed.com
I have a post about this on my blog. In short, since most agents are fine with authors approaching other agents by mail it should be fine at a conference. Agents realize that it often takes them a while to respond to your submission and they don't expect you to let the novel just sit until they do.

Danthia

Queries are always simultaneous submissions and agents advise querying widely. Most agents these days are also fine with the manuscript being with multiple agents (though a few still wants exclusives). Pitch away and good luck!