PDA

View Full Version : Canadians - Is there a Camp David-like place for Canadian Prime Minister?

Amarie
03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Hi all. I'm doing a skype visit with a classroom in Ontario and I wanted to explain the setting for my book, which is at Camp David. Since most U.S. 10-year-olds don't know what it is, I'm assuming none of the Canadians will as well. Is there a similar vacation spot for the Canadian Prime Minister?

Drachen Jager
03-09-2011, 09:47 PM
No, AFAIK only the United States and some despotic countries have that sort of heavily guarded retreat for their leaders. Most western countries have very little security on their leaders.

About ten years ago a man sneaked into the PM's house with a swiss army knife, either the PM or his wife alerted security. That gives you an idea how much more relaxed we are up here about these things.

Amarie
03-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Drachen! I remember reading about some crazy person sneaking into the Queen of England's bedroom, but I didn't know about the Canadian incident.

LJD
03-10-2011, 03:25 AM
no. The incident described above I believe is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Dallaire (I was 10, and all I remember was the defence-with-an-Inuit-soapstone-sculpture part).

(and in general, Canadians know nothing about where our PM vacations, his personal life, etc. I'm sure many more Canadians could name Obama's wife and children than Harper's)

jennontheisland
03-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Agreeing with LJD. We don't have anywhere near the same level of security. And ours are more than willing to defend themselves not only with soapstone statues, but also with their bare hands.

http://archives.cbc.ca/politics/federal_politics/clips/12796/
(video plays with sound)

frimble3
03-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I think the official country retreat is an estate at Harrington Lake, near Ottawa. I doubt that many Canadians, adults or children would know that. I'd just use whatever explanation of Camp David worked for the American children.