RFI: boys and girls and rules

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Years ago I encountered some report or other on the differences between how boys and girls (typically, on average, etc.) relate to rules. Basically, as I recall, the point was that boys would support rules first while girls would subvert them in favor of keeping the game going.

Anyone have a recollection of such studies? Links?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
This might get more responses if it were ported over to "Story Research".

I've heard the same thing about boys and girls and rules, and I've seen it first hand, but offhand I don't know of any studies on the issue.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I seem to recall something about girls being made of sugar & spice, & everything nice, while boys were made from things that weren't quite as pleasant sounding, however I don't know how scientific that study was.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall something about girls being made of sugar & spice, & everything nice, while boys were made from things that weren't quite as pleasant sounding, however I don't know how scientific that study was.
The boys end of the research study was stopped by PETA for causing harm to dogs and gastropods.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Years ago I encountered some report or other on the differences between how boys and girls (typically, on average, etc.) relate to rules. Basically, as I recall, the point was that boys would support rules first while girls would subvert them in favor of keeping the game going.

Anyone have a recollection of such studies? Links?

Not precisely what you asked for, but:
http://theses.gla.ac.uk/1500/
"'Rules' for the boys, 'guidelines' for the girls: a qualitative study of the factors influencing gender differences in symptom reporting during childhood and adolescence"

Here's a book I found on Google Books
In a different voice: psychological theory and women's development
By Carol Gilligan Look on page 9 or 10.

This may be what you're remembering:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/799857
"Sex differences in the games children play" by Janet Lever

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
ULTRAGOTHA, thank you so much! It was very possibly Gilligan's book, which I used to have but can't now find on my shelves.