PDA

View Full Version : What's You Favorite Holiday?

Undercover
03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Just the main ones...you know the ones.

Christmas (if you're religious and all that jazz)
New Year's
Valentine's Day
Easter (again if you're a holy roller)
The Fourth of July
Thanksgiving
Or Birthdays (your own or just celebrating someone else's)

Oops forgot to add Halloween...is that even a holiday?

Alpha Echo
03-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I have to go with Christmas. I love shopping for gifts, and I love the food and the time with family. I love the lights and the Christmas trees, I love Christmas songs.

And I have to say - you don't have to be a "holy roller" to appreciate the giving-ness of the Christmas season. Or to enjoy bunnies and Cadbury Eggs at Easter, for that matter.

Undercover
03-08-2011, 04:35 PM
you don't have to be a "holy roller" to appreciate the giving-ness

Yeah, I know...was just playin' around. I'd hafta go with The Fourth of July!!!! You don't hafta buy gifts and it's my favorite month too.

KellyAssauer
03-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanksgiving isn't my favorite,
but it's the only "holiday" you listed,
so I can't vote =(

Undercover
03-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanksgiving isn't my favorite,
but it's the only "holiday" you listed,
so I can't vote =(

Well the chick that did the list for me is on drugs. LOL

Can we claim this day a holiday? Or have holiday the eighth day of the week? Hey now that sounds like something!

shadowwalker
03-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I picked birthdays because other than blowing out candles, I don't have to do a damn thing. On other family birthdays, I only have to bake the cake. Fourth of July, Valentine's and New Year's rank right up there with Birthdays for the same reason. Any holiday that takes effort on my part is not a "holiday". :tongue

Lavern08
03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
I voted for Easter (yes, I'm a holy roller and proud of it) :D

Birthdays are a very close second because it's the day I get to celebrate me, myself and I ;)

JimmyB27
03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Your list is very Christian-centric.

Personally, my favourite holiday is Towel Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_day).

Alpha Echo
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I voted for Easter (yes, I'm a holy roller and proud of it) :D

Birthdays are a very close second because it's the day I get to celebrate me, myself and I ;)

Me too...though I didn't list that as one of the reasons I love Christmas, it is. My stepdaughter hasn't been raised Christian, and it was fun telling her about Jesus' birth this year. :)

kayleamay
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
It's Festivus for the rest of us.

Can I vote for the entire month of December?

brainstorm77
03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't really love any of them. I picked Thanksgiving because I like the harvest season.

darkprincealain
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanksgiving followed by Halloween, followed by 4/4, which is the day I declared "Mayors of the venues on Foursquare day." :)

alleycat
03-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I know they're not on your list, but I always planned my vacations around Memorial Day and Labor day; here, those are generally nice times of the year (not too hot, not too cold), and I didn't use as much vacation time by combining it with a holiday.

Snowstorm
03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
New Year's, specifically New Year's Eve. It's a holiday for ridding oneself of nastiness from the past year and a promise of good things to come in the new year. There's no pressure to participate: one can go to bed at 9 pm or stay up till sunrise, stay at home or go out to party, or be sober or get drunk.

bettielee
03-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I protest.

No Halloween?

*pouts*

SinisterCola
03-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I look forward to New Years. Time to put your past behind you and start fresh.

Plus it's usually the time when old friends and I are in the same state :D

Pistol Whipped Bee
03-08-2011, 11:19 PM
I voted for birthdays, but actually my favorite day to celebrate is the day before the birthday. That's the last day a person will ever be that age again.
:)

cmi0616
03-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Can't go wrong with thanksgiving. It's a holiday about FOOD. It's also about the only time of year during which a lot of people take time out of their day to realized how blessed we all are.

Cliff Face
03-09-2011, 04:54 AM
I picked Christmas purely because it's the holiday which allows me to shop my butt off the most. I love to shop, so Christmas is perfect for me.

But I'm not religious. Thankfully, the people I spend Christmas with aren't religious either, so it's just about having a bit of fun, exchanging presents, and eating a dinner-sized meal at lunchtime, then snacking on cold meat and sandwiches at dinner time.

It's a lovely little piece of backwardsness that my family fully embraces. :)

Jersey Chick
03-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Halloween.. I still love being able to be someone else for an entire day.

Oh, and the candy* doesn't hurt. Neither does the Ghosthunters Live episode they show each year.

Christmas is a close second because really, who doesn't like getting presents??

* I don't trick or treat, but my kids do, mwahahaha. :D

Cliff Face
03-09-2011, 05:04 AM
Yeah, Halloween would've been first for me if it were an option listed...

How can you turn down a night when it's okay to dress goth and people actually compliment you instead of looking at you funny? :D Not that I dress goth normally... I used to, kind of. I couldn't afford all the really cool gothic clothes, and male gothic is a little more boring (IMO) than female gothic, so it was kind of frustrating.

But yeah - Halloween is total win. I wish Australia celebrated Halloween more often and more universally. Here we get some Halloween parties, and some Halloween costumes in stores, but hardly any trick-or-treaters, and only a tiny fraction of people dress up for it (almost exclusively people going to Halloween parties).

*sigh*

Can I stay with one of you Americans this coming October 31st? :D:D I'll bring beer!

Jersey Chick
03-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Bring Hugh Jackman, and we'll talk. ;)

Tepelus
03-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Halloween, but it's not in the poll. :(

Cella
03-09-2011, 06:32 AM
MY birthday.

Undercover
03-09-2011, 07:04 AM
Sorry all you Halloween lovers, but yeah, like I said the lady was drinkin' on the job when she did this poll, so, oh, well. my bad

authorgirl1485
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Mine is Fourth of July. (Strange, eh?) I love Fireworks, hamburgers, and hot, sultry nights. *Sighs.* Winter, please go away.

Satori1977
03-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Another vote for Halloween. So not voting, since it isn't in the poll. What isn't fun about dressing up and getting candy. Plus, I have always loved spooky things.

Eudoxia
03-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Halloween is my #1 favorite. It's fun dressing up as something spooky or silly and decorating your house in creepy decorations. Candy is also on sale and I do love me some dark chocolate. I also enjoy the horror movie marathons and The Munsters marathons that come on. However, I guess New Year's would have to be my 2nd favorite. The exciting thrill of a new year and new possibilities that could happen.