Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
So, an agent requested my full. Okay, two agents requested my full ms. But this one agent in particular, I am quite excited about and I feel my chances are pretty good (she's already read 60 pages and a 4 page outline). She's also supposed to be a quick responder - it was a couple of days on the query, no more than a week on the partial before the full request.

It's now been 5 days since I sent her the full. And I am, like, CLIMBING THE WALLS. I seriously couldn't sleep for the first couple of days. I've come down a little since then, but I'm basically checking my email constantly. Doesn't help that I have email access on my phone, so I can do it at all hours of the day and night.

AUGH!!! Anyone know how I can just TURN MY BRAIN OFF for the next month or however long it's gonna take?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AUGH!!! Anyone know how I can just TURN MY BRAIN OFF for the next month or however long it's gonna take?

No idea :( People often say start a new book, but that really doesn't work.

I vacuum.

I can't say it's all that rewarding, but it drowns out the sound of my rage.

Good luck. Very, very best of luck.

Oh - wait - if you burn a stick of rosemary under a full moon an agent will call you. You could maybe try that...?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

It's not so much rage as uncontrollable hope, which I am conscious could twist into utter despair at any moment.

Give it another week. It'll be rage - (but it will all disappear with the offer :) We're shallow like that...)

Best best best wishes!!! Good luck!!!!!

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
lol, just wanted to say best of luck, I'll cross a finger or two and send some calming vibes over :)

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Best of luck. I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering.

There must be something sadistic about writers to be able to live constantly on a line that borders madness and ultimate joy.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
gothicangel, you must have our blood in you. Oh, actually it might be back the front. But that don't explain the amount of beers we drink are only less per capita are than the Germans :D

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel, there really is nothing you can do until you get a response, which hopefully it will in fact be a good one.

Yeah, I would say start on another, always keep the wheels churnin'. Then if for any case you'll have another one to submit later on down the road.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
lol Same here, right now! After three days of hardly any sleep, I got so tired that I actually managed to get about six hours last night. So go head, do climb those walls and toss and turn - at some point, your body will just flip the off switch :) And hey, it IS fun and exciting, why be cool as a cucumber about it?!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I repeat: "It's a rejection. Move on." This way my emotions calm down and I focus on something else and forget the submission.

If the Big R does come down, I can toss it aside and press on with life. If it were the opposite, life's good!

Best wishes for "the opposite!"

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Got a partial request from another delectable agent this morning. I don't know if this makes things better or worse. I'm uber-excited about this one too, but having TWO agents I want with my material feels a little "safer." Less like I'm standing at the edge of a cliff about to jump...

There must be something sadistic about writers to be able to live constantly on a line that borders madness and ultimate joy.

Snowstorm is right, this goes in my "quotes" file. And SO true. :)

Ask to be put into a medical coma. My family wouldn't do it but yours may be more compassionate. ;)

YES! YES, I want THIS! My husband, alas, would never stand for it... he'd probably kill the munchkin if I left them alone too long. Or just forget to feed, bathe, or change him...

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I love my agent. He requested the full on Thursday afternoon and offered on Friday afternoon. Of course, before he came along, I had several agents still holding on to the full eight months later, and I'd gotten to the point where the last thing I expected was a quick answer. ;)

This is a good point to reach, actually (she says as she looks at the short story subs that have been out for six months plus.)

It sounds like you're getting very close to that yes! I have fingers and toes crossed for you.

In the meantime, if writing isn't enough to distract you, find a superaddictive video game in which to disappear. Just strap the kid on your chest and let him get early MMORPG training -- much more useful than all that violin stuff. :D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I love my agent. He requested the full on Thursday afternoon and offered on Friday afternoon. Of course, before he came along, I had several agents still holding on to the full eight months later, and I'd gotten to the point where the last thing I expected was a quick answer. ;)

I'm never letting a full get to the eight month mark again. I learned that from my last round. I don't care if they find it annoying, I'm going to be nudging every two months. If they reject me, they reject me.

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go more with a three-month schedule, but I doubt that agents do much rejecting due to nudges. Unless, of course, the nudges are scary. But that couldn't apply to you. :D

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
If you get email on your phone... Set the alert REALLY LOUD and then you'll always instantly know when you've got an email. It doesn't fix the insanity that comes with waiting to hear back, but it does let you skip the refreshing of your inbox a million times a day.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I have to refresh my inbox a million times a day. My phone gets email, but I have to go onto the internet to check it. No alerts. :Hammer:

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
Back to the question of waiting for feedback on subs. I find that constantly checking email makes my frustration worse. I'm on a three times a day schedule now, and I feel much better.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
No good advice (I was a basket case myself) but I just wanted to say good luck. :)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand the waiting is over. It's a rejection. I'm sad but not devastated because it was the same one I got from another agent. Book's good, just too out of the box. Like the other agent, she also suggested I rewrite as a traditional romance. Totally defeating the point of the book. Ah well. Still got another full and a partial out... we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.