What to do?

BjornAbust

Banned
Reaction score
When making submissions, I always do my best to follow the posted guidelines. This time, I seem to have made an error however, and I'm wondering what I ought to do (if anything) to correct it.

I submitted a short story to an online magazine recently. They ask that all submissions be formatted in standard manuscript format. I formatted my story as such and sent it off.

Just today, I decided to peruse the document while I was working on another piece. To my horror, the formatting was botched. I'm not sure what happened; it might've been my error or a technological one, but the document was not double spaced and my by-line wasn't centered. Plainly speaking, the submission looked like crap.

So, I've been wondering. Should I email the editor of this mag and apologize? Re-submit? Hope that the editor will overlook my error and give my story a shot?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I don't write/submit short stories, so take this with a couple of grains of salt, and if those more experienced suggest otherwise, take their word over mine. :) That said, I think what I would do is to simply re-submit it with the exact same 'cover' e-mail as you did before, but add a paragraph saying that you'd previously submitted this story on (date) and subsequently discovered that the file had been saved incorrectly with the wrong formatting, and that you're resubmitting it formatted correctly. That way, if they recognise the submission, they will understand why you re-subbed.

Remember, editors are people, too. They understand that we make mistakes, especially electronic ones.

And good luck!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
If the manuscript was inside the body of the e-mail, it's likely the mailer changed the format. Cut and paste as plain text and then fix the formatting in the e-mail to avoid this complication in the future.

What Terie says above sounds good to me.

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If it bothers you, I don't think resubmitting with a brief apology is bad -- something along the lines of "Unfortunately, the internet ate and spat out my formatting. I've fixed the error, and XXX, a X-word short story, is pasted below -- in now-readable English."

I'd try e-mailing it myself first, though, to make sure the formatting really is fixed.