There are people far worse than Charlie Sheen

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard Sheen was officially fired today <Gomer Pyle voice> Surprise, surprise!</Gomer>
http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/03/07/sheen.fired/index.html?hpt=C2
Actually, I thought the most significant portion of the story was at the end:
(CNN) -- Warner Bros. Television has fired actor Charlie Sheen from its comedy "Two and a Half Men" after a two-week public meltdown by the star that has included attacks on the show's creator.
Warner Brothers Television is a division of Time Warner Inc., also the parent company of CNN.
and I was wonderiing about someday all such comglomerates owning or being owned by others so that eventually EVERY mainstream media story would end with such a disclaimer stating the exact relationship between the story entity and the reporting entity.

As for the other thing mentioned, the piece of poor excuse for a human being - I hope it's not too piling-on if I say:

firing? no - firing squad? yes.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
If it were to be accepted by a trial judge, Van der Sloot would be sentenced to 3 to 5 years, and Altez said his client could be freed in 20 months.

This makes me so angry. I really hope this doesn't happen because this kid is psychotic and will no doubt do this again.

Alvarez said Van der Sloot also stole money and other items from Flores before fleeing south from the Peruivan capital to Chile, where he was later captured by police.

A "violent emotion" would lead one, I would think, perhaps to kill in the heat of passion, but it would be quick and would quickly be followed with remorse, not a desire to steal money.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This makes me so angry. I really hope this doesn't happen because this kid is psychotic and will no doubt do this again.

A "violent emotion" would lead one, I would think, perhaps to kill in the heat of passion, but it would be quick and would quickly be followed with remorse, not a desire to steal money.
The short sentence makes me ill. In a few days, my childhood friend who shot her husband to death in an altercation will be sentenced. She pleaded guilty to second degree murder and a felony firearms charge. I doubt she'll get off anywhere near as easily as Van der Sloot, and he's the dangerous one.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just because Van Der Sloot is seeking a shorter sentence does not mean the judge will give it to him. It's my hope the judge will take everything into consideration and give him the harshest sentence possible.

This is no "heat of passion killer" he is a cold, calculating, vicious, murder, who may very well be a serial killer.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the title of this thread; it seems to be the old comparison between apples and oranges—unless the underlying theme is the disparity in the amount of publicity one is getting over the other. Charlie Sheen is a celebrity who is primarily a danger to himself and we do tend to be fascinated by a trainwreck in progress. van der Sloot is a vicious predator who should be put down.

Crafty

And then there was one
Registered
Reaction score
I could not possibly care any less about Charlie Sheen or his family. I am actually disgusted that his antics make it on main stream news. What a joke it makes of our news broadcasters. Entertainment tonight, or Access Hollywood? Sure. That's where it belongs, but Fox? CNN? I'm appalled. People used to always tell me that FOX wasn't a real news show, and now I believe it.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I was actually not bothered at all by Charlie Sheen, as it really had no effect on my life what-so-ever. That was until thread after thread after thread started popping up here about him. Now I wanna beat the crap out of him. :deadhorse

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that a lot of you are missing the point of the Charlie Sheen phenomenon. Your problem is that you see his meltdown - and Mel Gibson's, and Lindsay Lohan's, and Brittany Spears', etc. etc. - as a news story. Or, to be fair, a non-news story, or a faux-news story, or a quasi-news story.

But these implosions aren't news stories. They're theater. In fact, they are the newest art form that America has given to the world, right up there with jazz, movies, and prank phone calls. And as an art form, meltdowns were in danger of dying out, becoming old and stale. (After all, after you've seen the v**** of one kleptomaniacal starlet, you've seen them all.) But Charlie has taken his meltdown and expanded the boundaries.

First of all, the use of phrases like "I'm a warlock" and "Tiger Blood" - Is Charlie being literal? Is he using metaphor? Whatever. I'm a wordsmith, and I have yet to write phrases that pithy.

Then, ranting via UStream and Twitter - way to SNet your meltdown!

And the meticulous planning and prep: What kind of effort does it take to be on bad terms with ALL your exes?

Screw Platoon and Wall Street and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. THIS is Charlie Sheen's greatest performance.

Bravo.