If the manuscript is a first part of a series...

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
I've been told that if you have a book that's intended to be part of a series, make it stand alone and give it to the agent that way, then tell them it's supposed to be a series.

I got a full request and now that I'm frantically going through my manuscript to make sure it's prim and proper, I've run into this problem.

While my book can TECHNICALLY work as a stand-alone, my love of Chekhov's guns make me write things into the first book that are going to be important in later sequels. I tried to make most of the things subtle, though.

For instance, you only find out who a shady character was actually working for in the very end, and even though you learn the name of it and what their main goal was, you don't actually learn what that character was doing with them. This is intended to be revealed later.

Another character is equally secretive, but this is constantly made fun of as "just the way he is", so none of the book characters give it a thought. It is intended for him to get important in a later book and have his backstory revealed in a later book.

Another character is said to be a "direct cousin of the king" which is fine and dandy...until the palace where the entire royal family lives is nuked. The character suddenly gets worried about "his future". It's not explicitly stated that he's worried because he's going to have to be the king now (happens in a later book), but people can figure easily enough if they think on it.

There is also the fact that the main character seems a bit genre savvy in the way adventure stories go, and its implied in a future book that he found out through magic that he wasn't supposed to use that he is a fictional character in a book, but he doesn't really care because now this gives him the advantage of knowing that since he's the hero, he's not going to die until the final battle at the very least.

Those are the all the big things that aren't explicitly stated, but I'm wondering if keeping them a bit vague as they are in the manuscript is all right. I did say in my query that the book had 'series potential', after all.

(I just do want to do anything that would make my manuscript look bad in the eyes of the agent.)

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My first, (and only) agent told me she knew my novel was a series, even though it stood alone. I think a good agent can tell by what is missing.

The thing is, she only wanted to shop the first book around and not the full trilogy. As she put it, for a new writer, series are hard to sell to publishers. They do not want to invest in something that might not earn back in the first book. She also said if this was the 1980's she could have sold the whole series just on the premise of the first book. But things have changed and times are tighter...

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I have a similiar problem. I'm trying to make my novel standalone, but I've written a number of things that play into affect later.

BySharonNelson

(Insert something whitty here)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bysharonnelson.blogspot.com
I had the same issue. The first books I wrote were historical romance and I adore romance that comes in a series. As with most series romance, the MC's story ends but it leaves room for supporting characters to move into main roles in other books. When I started shopping around for an agent I met the same response, we cant sell it as a series for a new writer. I have sense written a paranormal romance that specifically wasn't a series and is with an agent now. I indie pubbed the historical because I loved it so much and really want to write the series but know that it will probably never happen the traditional way. Everything I have read and heard says no series for new authors, publishers just wont buy it. But if they are subtle and nothing applies to the MC's or their storyline, there is no reason you can't just leave it in and just don't market it as a series. IMHO

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
I had the same issue. The first books I wrote were historical romance and I adore romance that comes in a series. As with most series romance, the MC's story ends but it leaves room for supporting characters to move into main roles in other books. When I started shopping around for an agent I met the same response, we cant sell it as a series for a new writer. I have sense written a paranormal romance that specifically wasn't a series and is with an agent now. I indie pubbed the historical because I loved it so much and really want to write the series but know that it will probably never happen the traditional way. Everything I have read and heard says no series for new authors, publishers just wont buy it. But if they are subtle and nothing applies to the MC's or their storyline, there is no reason you can't just leave it in and just don't market it as a series. IMHO
I would really love to make the story a series eventually, though, but I won't market the first book as part of a series at first if it'll hurt me.

The story itself is young adult, and I heard it's easier to get a series for young adults, but that's just something I heard.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
The story itself is young adult, and I heard it's easier to get a series for young adults, but that's just something I heard.

I think this is correct, considering that every YA fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal novel coming out is the first of a series. It seems like the way to go for teens.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is totally stand alone, if needs be. I adore these characters and I can imagine them in so many other settings. Basically, now they're comfortable together, they're a lot more fun to write about. They were quite nervy when they first met and that wasn't as much fun as these two fully formed adults bitching and snarking at each other, like they do by the end of the book.

I hear you on this issue. I'm going to say it has series potential, but if they don't like that, then it still works as a stand alone and although disappointing, won't be impossible.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Just my opinion,

But I think that in this situation I would present it as is (a stand alone with series potential--or however you want to word it) and then leave the rest for the agent to decide.

It seems likely (to me) that if an agent likes your story, but knows it won't work as a series, they will let you know that. If they choose to work with you, they'd probably tell you to make revisions and edits that will support the story as more of a stand alone.

Honestly, I would leave it as it is and send it off. Agents are pretty smart people who handle a lot of books. They'll let you know what to do with it if they're interested.

P.S Good luck :)

BySharonNelson

(Insert something whitty here)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bysharonnelson.blogspot.com
I have also heard that about YA. Trilogies are very popular in YA right now so it may be a bit easier. I would still try and sell it alone though. They are still going to be reluctant to take a multi book submission from an unknown.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
In order for the first book to be considered a stand-alone, the book's major story arc needs to be complete by the final chapter. You can still have small, unfinished threads that will lead into events in subsequent books. But if the arc of book one is that your MC has to discover who murdered Madame X and planted a bomb on the Metro, then he'd better learn those things by the last chapter. That doesn't mean Mysterious Marilyn has to reveal her shady past, or that the book of magic spells the MC discovered in Chapter Seven has to be explored. It's okay to leave some breadcrumbs.

And while YA is very popular right now, it's also getting a bit crowded. Even folks with a publishing history are having trouble placing books.

Series are popular in a lot of genres: mysteries, romance, science fiction, fantasy (high, urban, ext...).

ETA: Adding a line such as "this book is stand alone with series potential" is perfectly fine. I've done it. Hundreds (if not thousands) of authors do it. Agents like getting multiple book deals, so knowing you have more than one book in you is definitely a plus.

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
The "stand-alone" part worries me, since the book that I'd written ends with the protagonist, a modern-day person who gets trapped in the past through a time travel accident, still stuck in the past at the end - and I can't change that without making it almost impossible to write the books that would follow it. I've been looking for a solution for that problem, but haven't found one yet.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
As she put it, for a new writer, series are hard to sell to publishers.

My agent pitched my novel as a standalone, and ultimately every editor who wanted the book asked (at the very least) for it to be a two book series (it's actually three). I was quite surprised, but more than willing to entertain the notion and ultimately comply.

As always, your mileage may vary--of course.

ETA: Also, my word of the week is "ultimately". :D