PDA

View Full Version : Writing's role in your life

cptwentworth
03-07-2011, 08:45 AM
What role does writing play in your life? I'm interested in knowing how other writers view writing and what it means to them. Some of you might pen something every now and then, others a more steady, regular stream, and others might spend every waking moment thinking about writing and/or writing.

Where do you fall in the spectrum? How do you feel about writing? Is it a fun pastime or a burning need?

muravyets
03-07-2011, 08:55 AM
I have no idea. Writing's role in my life is in flux at the moment, as are the roles of just about everything else in my life, too. I need Dramamine just to get through a day, with all this fluxing.

I think about writing constantly. Except when I'm thinking about something else, like art or politics or sex. And half the time, those things contribute to thinking about writing -- or they contribute to thinking about art. So I'd say writing and art, together, take up the majority of my waking thoughts -- and many of my dreams, too.

However, I don't do them as much as I think about them, normally. This is because things I think about less seem to avenge themselves by demanding more action -- especially that pestiferous little turd called Money. I don't like that. I wish those things would leave me the hell alone so I could write and make art and bind them into the same book.

Recently, I had a what you might call a breakthrough on the writing, and I'm doing it more now than I did previous. So I'm once again thinking about getting published and giving writing a bigger role in my life. However, Money is kicking up a piss again, and even Art is distracting me with a deadline.

spectrefox
03-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Because of my college student status, I don't have as much free time as I would like to read and write. Over the summer, I am a voracious reader, though. Writing seems to come and go, much like my other moods. For instance, one month may be hardcore gaming, another learning about insects, etc.

This writing cycle came about because I am the lead story designer for my college's Game Development Club, as well as my new knowledge of a short story contest at the school. Without these, would I have begun to be interested in writing again? Eventually.

These things make me put writing into the 'hobby' area of my life. School, for the moment, is my only 'not a hobby' thing (and the programming that goes along with it).

MissMacchiato
03-07-2011, 08:57 AM
lately it's consumed a good portion of my thoughts and time. I love writing. I love living the scenes as my characters do, feeling what they feel.

I enjoy the satisfaction of a finished MS, and of editing and polishing it to something to be proud of.

It hasn't always been that way, and it may not always be that way, but at the moment, it takes up at least as much time as the first, most romantic stages of a new relationship

Susan Littlefield
03-07-2011, 09:26 AM
I love to write, both fiction and non-fiction. I write almost every single day.

In my career as a paralegal, I write substantive legal documents every single day. I ghostwrite intensive time consuming reports on cases, which go to those who employ us. This I do five days a week.

As for creative writing- I write almost every single day after work. Sometimes I have long writing sessions, other times short ones. I love creative writing.

As for the bigger picture- writing is not who I am, it's simply something I love doing.

mccardey
03-07-2011, 09:34 AM
It's a job, but I really like it :)

Ask me again when I'm through this draft and doing revisions....

COchick
03-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I write every day. Hopefully, I can one day make a decent amount of money off it so I can do it as a regular job. I think about writing a lot, but I wouldn't say every single moment of my day. But, a lot.

amlptj
03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm in that last category. Probably about 95% of my day i'm thinking about my series.Its been that way for 8 years now. Where is writing in my life? I think its the only thing that gets me through the day.

Mr Flibble
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
My day job gets in the way of writing/thinking about my stories. Blast it.

That answer your question?

AlwaysJuly
03-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I write before work and oftentimes after, though grad school gets priority after work. I spend a considerable part of my weekends if not writing than revising, formatting, subbing and researching. I'm conscientious with my day job, but writing is the one thing that makes me feel I could become a workaholic.

I've been a hobbyist before, but nowdays I feel like it's a big, big part of my life.

Phaeal
03-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Reason for living would be an overstatement, since life has many enticements. But if I didn't write, I'd be denying my vocation, and that leads to the dark side.

Anne Lyle
03-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Definitely at the burning need/second career end of the spectrum. I don't write every day, as I tend to work better in intensive bursts so that I have some variety in my routine, but I work on some aspect of my writing career every day, even if that's just maintaining my online presence.

Yeah, I can tweet and call it work :)

NeuroFizz
03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Burning need? Certainly not. It is a wonderful personal challenge, one that gives a significant sense of accomplishment. The evaluation of writing (for publication or even for one's own personal satisfaction) is such a subjective endeavor, it isn't good to make it an one-dimensional, exclusive life pursuit (for most people--this works for some). I find the pursuit of happiness in other areas can actually enrich the challenge (and joy) in writing. My personal feeling is that life itself provides a good portion of the raw data of writing. Living a full life is thus beneficial to writing--it doesn't have to get in the way unless one can't find the time to write. Then, there are hard decisions to be made.

cameron_chapman
03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
I write full time for a living, so writing makes up a substantial part of my day, every day. But that's all non-fiction, related to web design, social media, etc.

My characters and stories are always at the back of my mind. I usually write fiction in fits and spurts, so I might go weeks without really writing much of anything (other than notes). Then I'll write a few hours a day for a few weeks to get a first draft done. I edit in the times between writing (and sometimes while writing).

I don't think I could not write. If I stopped for any length of time, I'd be pretty miserable. It's a huge part of my life and something I enjoy immensely, even when it's driving me crazy.

bearilou
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Some things in my life have moved such that I am now in a better position to write than I was before and I could weep from the relief.

I can say for certain it's a fun pasttime. The burning need to get the stories in my head down on the page is starting to return now so it's moving back into passion, something that has been lacking for many many moons.

In the time I've not been writing, I've been reading, gathering my resources and research and recharging my mental and emotional batteries. So it's still been on my mind, even though the words have not come, the ideas are still there and I think about them all the time.

[pushes up sleeves and gets to work]

Purple Rose
03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Most days it's a burning need. Some days, I just think about it. I just love to write and I write every day. Some days it's maybe twenty words in a diary using a pencil. Other days I can type a few thousand words. If I get published some day, great. If not, that's ok.

The Grump
03-07-2011, 08:41 PM
I view it as a part-time job -- where the creating is fun and the marketing a pain.

Jamesaritchie
03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Burning need? No, not even close. I'd seek professional help if that were the case.
Writing is how I earn my living, and it's something I enjoy doing. That's all there is to it.

kaitie
03-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Not a burning need here, either. I enjoy it and I do it because it's fun, and I do tend to see it almost as a part-time job as well even though I haven't been published yet. I see it as something that has to be done, and I often sit down until I get at minimum the goal I set for the day. That being said, my world wouldn't end if I wasn't writing. I'm always playing with characters in my head. Not that that means I would want to stop, either.

I tend to think it's unhealthy to focus on one detail of life as being what brings happiness. I love to write and that definitely contributes to my happiness, but so do a lot of other things.

amrose
03-08-2011, 12:56 AM
It takes up most of my free time and my drafts and ideas are always on my mind. Could also be a compulsion, but a compulsion I enjoy.

Kitty27
03-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Writing is happy time and all things lovely! I enjoy the creative process and being as loony as I want to be in my fictional worlds. I don't view it as a chore EXCEPT when it comes to those damned queries. I write every day. It's a compulsion that I have to obey.

But other things make me even happier. My kids,money,chocolate,Victorian fashion,etc. Writing is just a lovely cherry on top of a wonderful cake.

bettielee
03-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Normally, it's about 2 hours of bliss and freedom about 5-6 days a week and keeps me from hoarding large amounts of weapons.

Right now, and this is a terrible thing to admit... it's a weight. I'm not doing any, I can't seem to break out of my rut of insomnia/zombie-ism and late night reading to do any and I feel so guilty.

/patheticalness

Kitty27
03-08-2011, 04:14 AM
Normally, it's about 2 hours of bliss and freedom about 5-6 days a week and keeps me from hoarding large amounts of weapons.

Right now, and this is a terrible thing to admit... it's a weight. I'm not doing any, I can't seem to break out of my rut of insomnia/zombie-ism and late night reading to do any and I feel so guilty.

/patheticalness

I completely agree. My neighbors and relatives have NO idea how lucky they are that I write.

brainstorm77
03-08-2011, 04:31 AM
I just enjoy it.:Shrug:

Victoria
03-08-2011, 04:34 AM
For me, writing is cathartic, theraputic, and a way to let my dark side safely into the world. Now, getting published is another animal. It's like the once unobtainable dream that suddenly seems within reach. Yeah, sharing my work and having people enjoy it is what would really make me happy. I want to entertain people, but if I can make a little extra cash doing it, all the better.

semmie
03-08-2011, 04:45 AM
For me, writing is about understanding. I don't write so my audience will understand; I write so I will understand.

Mom'sWrite
03-08-2011, 05:00 AM
I earn a living with writing, but I also derive balance from it too. It's the times when I can't write or I simply don't have the time to write that I feel most out of control.

smcc360
03-09-2011, 02:54 AM
An entertaining hobby. I enjoy it when I'm doing it, and I think about it when I'm not.

sneakysnail
03-09-2011, 08:54 AM
I have decided to write another book to take my mind off the other book I just finished. Yes, I have a problem. I keep my mac by the bed so I can write down things that come to me in the middle of the night. I get these great idea's at 3 am. If I don't write them down immediately, I forget them.
Beat that!

But I do it for the love of writing. I have been writing since I was 10. The middle of the night thing only since I turned 40.

Sneaky