PDA

View Full Version : Heart Surgery?

S.A.Michel
03-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Helloo,

So, for one of my WIP, I need to know the specifics of heart surgery... namely what happens afterwards with recovery and all.
How many days? What kind of meds are used? When can they eat again? Etc... just, basically, all the details of recovery.
Also, the wound... what happens if the stitches are ripped? And how is one supposed to care for the scar? (Or well, before it is a scar).

»Sam.

Puma
03-07-2011, 01:40 AM
I suggest you do a little Googling for this Sammy. There are many good websites that will tell you a lot of the types of things you want to know. Then, if you have specific questions about personal experiences, come back here. That's my suggestion. Puma

Kitti
03-07-2011, 05:32 AM
So, for one of my WIP, I need to know the specifics of heart surgery... namely what happens afterwards with recovery and all.

This is going to depend on sooo many factors. For example, what kind of heart surgery his your character getting? Various bypass surgeries are going to be the worst, because it requires taking veins out of the leg and putting them into the heart, giving you two different surgery sites to deal with. Heart valve repairs and replacements have only the one surgery site. There's also all sorts of complicating health factors, particularly associated with plaque build-up in the arteries (as opposed to, say, a birth defect in the valves that presents without other circulation problems.)

How many days?

Again, going to vary depending on how the surgery went, and what type it was. My dad was up and walking soon after his open-heart surgery because it was valve-replacement (no operating on the leg). IIRC he was out of the ICU in ~4-5 days, home in ~7-8 days. My grandfather's second open-heart-surgery, they nicked something during the surgery, had to reopen him up a few hours later, then didn't monitor him properly in the ICU and let him fall off the bed, reinjuring himself. He was in the hospital for over a month.

What kind of meds are used?

I don't know specifics, but there will definitely be lots of happy painkillers delivered via IV. If you get a mechanical valve replacement in your heart, there are meds for that. Also, meds as necessary to control any complicating factors, like blood-thinners. My dad had to take insulin for weeks after his surgery because his pancreas didn't react well to it.

When can they eat again? Etc... just, basically, all the details of recovery.

You can eat again pretty soon - within a day at most. You'll get a "heart-hugger" pillow to help you position your arms comfortably because you have to lie on your back for weeks while your chest is healing.

Also, the wound... what happens if the stitches are ripped?

It's not always stitches. My grandfather got "stapled" back up following the problem with his second surgery.

sheadakota
03-07-2011, 05:55 AM
actually the heart hugger pillow is to splint the chest while you cough or deep breath-

S.A.Michel
03-07-2011, 06:22 AM
You'll get a "heart-hugger" pillow

Do forgive the ignorance, but what's a heart-hugger pillow?

»Sam.

Kitti
03-07-2011, 08:08 AM
actually the heart hugger pillow is to splint the chest while you cough or deep breath

d'oh, right. sorry. :o luckily, it's been a while since the last family open-heart surgery, but that means the details do start to get fuzzy

http://www.hearthugger.com/heart-hugger.html

waylander
03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
A lot of heart surgery (angioplasty and stenting) is done keyhole these days, which is one night in hospital and then walk out the enxt day.

Dandroid
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
stents are failing...and they seem to be returning to the bypass...

bypass: meds: nitro patch, ASA, perhaps a painkiller, some form diuretic if CHF involved...if HTN: an ARB, Beta Blocker, calcium channel blocker, or ACE inhibitor...

altogether more info than you are going to get on a message board...

waylander
03-07-2011, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=Dandroid;5898764]stents are failing...and they seem to be returning to the bypass...[QUOTE]

Your evidence for this?

Mr Flibble
03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
stents are failing...and they seem to be returning to the bypass...

Better get my FIL on the phone before he keels over then :D He's had a couple of stents, the latest last year.

Stents are very much still in use, here at least. Bypasses are more often used when a stent is inadvisable or (as in my father's case) the blockage is at a junction so a stent won't do.

After the bypass he was home a few days later, but on 'total rest' for a few weeks. Not that he did, the little sod, but there you are. He was eating the next day, and pretty chipper too(we watched the rugby and he shouted a fair bit lol). Not sure about the meds though, except the Warfarin.