PDA

View Full Version : Cross-stitch

kaitie
03-06-2011, 03:15 AM
Anyone else do cross-stitch? I don't have pictures at the moment, but I love crafty things, and I hadn't sewn anything in a couple of years, but now I've gotten back on track. I just finished one project, and started on a new one, a cute kitty picture my mom gave me for my birthday awhile back that I hadn't gotten around to doing. I'm probably going to give it away as a gift, but I'm not certain to who yet.

Just wanted to see if anyone else was into this. :)

bettielee
03-06-2011, 03:20 AM
Me me me! I love it! I'm running out of wall space....

tiny
03-06-2011, 04:14 AM
I did it for quite a while but haven't in years. I do however have a couple of framed pieces on my wall.

nevada
03-06-2011, 05:06 AM
I do counted cross stitch. haven't done it in a while but i have four projects on the go. In all the years I've finished two things. One is now a pillow for my mom and the other was a wedding sampler as a wedding present for a friend. I love to start them, just never finish them. Never sure what to do with them when they're done so i guess i don't finish them. plus i get distracted by the next, great project. lol i'm particularly seduced by colours. i had tons of pattern books but gave them away when i started knitting again. I can only do so much. But i loved the zen of counted cross stitch. I couldnt do anythign else. Had to focus on the pattern and that was so relaxing.

Duchessmary
03-06-2011, 05:32 AM
I do no count cross stitch. It's wonderfully relaxing, but I'm working on a piece now that is a pain in the *&@#. Changing thread colors every five minutes isn't funny.

kaitie
03-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Me me me! I love it! I'm running out of wall space....

I think I give almost everything away. The one I recently finished I intend to keep, but it's small. Otherwise I tend to make them as gifts. That might be because I'm more motivated to do the gifts prior to things I make for myself, though.

kaitie
03-06-2011, 07:32 AM
I do counted cross stitch. haven't done it in a while but i have four projects on the go. In all the years I've finished two things. One is now a pillow for my mom and the other was a wedding sampler as a wedding present for a friend. I love to start them, just never finish them. Never sure what to do with them when they're done so i guess i don't finish them. plus i get distracted by the next, great project. lol i'm particularly seduced by colours. i had tons of pattern books but gave them away when i started knitting again. I can only do so much. But i loved the zen of counted cross stitch. I couldnt do anythign else. Had to focus on the pattern and that was so relaxing.

I so can't knit. I'm crafty as heck, but for some reason knitting is just beyond me. I've never managed to figure out how to do it properly. Tried a couple of scarfs, but never got far. I do crochet sometimes, but that takes a lot more effort for me. I enjoy how instant-gratification cross-stitch is. I can see the picture coming together with every stitch. When I do things like crochet it seems to take forever to feel like I've accomplished anything.

nevada
03-06-2011, 07:52 AM
yeah that is the great thing about cross stitch. it's kind of like painting. knitting is more mindless. it doesn't really look like anything till you put it together. although lately i've just been knitting scarves and that's kind of cool, watching it grow.

Carrie-Anne
05-19-2011, 06:03 AM
I have a whole plastic chest of drawers for all of my cross-stitching and sewing supplies and projects. The oldest ones are mainly bureau runners with flowers (one has teddybears), and the ones from more recently usually feature animals. A couple I've given as gifts, including one with flowers, a butterfly, and a bunny my mother had started to give to her parents after my uncle passed away when I was eight years old. It was almost twenty years later when she pulled it out and gave it to me to belatedly finish, since she thought I was a lot better at that stuff than she was.

My original little pair of sewing scissors is extremely special to me, after the rather frightening ordeal I went through on behalf of them a few years ago. They were discovered in my jacket pocket when I was going through a metal detector on my way to catch a plane home from Israel, and I had to go through a huge headache and ordeal just to be able to keep them and have them put onto the plane in a special envelope. When you've had a hobby for over 20 years, and have been using one of the tools since you were a little girl, that's not something you're going to surrender!

Bubastes
05-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Oh wow, I used to be a cross-stitch fanatic in college. I can't do it much now because it hurts my eyes (I stick to knitting now). My Mom has all of my finished projects on the wall.

This was the design that did me in. I never finished it, but it's still the most beautiful sampler I've ever seen. Maybe one of these days, I'll attempt it again:

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/ecs.html

Sheryl Nantus
05-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Oh wow, I used to be a cross-stitch fanatic in college. I can't do it much now because it hurts my eyes (I stick to knitting now). My Mom has all of my finished projects on the wall.

This was the design that did me in. I never finished it, but it's still the most beautiful sampler I've ever seen. Maybe one of these days, I'll attempt it again:

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/ecs.html

Theresa Wentzler is a goddess.

In a moment of insanity this was the second project I ever did. It's framed and up on my wall.

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/cas.html

I've got so many projects left undone...

*sighs*

Carrie-Anne
05-19-2011, 08:59 PM
This is the first counted cross-stitch I did, back when I was getting seriously back into sewing. All the prior cross-stitch and embroidery projects I did had the patterns stamped on instead of requiring me to do it all from scratch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/Anyechka/Artwork%20and%20Writing/DSC03522.jpg

I actually miscalculated a few times for this, so Buddha is a bit shorter than he was supposed to be, and a few other things are slightly off, but I guess it's not like anyone could really tell there are mistakes unless I told them.

Sheryl Nantus
05-19-2011, 09:29 PM
This is the first counted cross-stitch I did, back when I was getting seriously back into sewing. All the prior cross-stitch and embroidery projects I did had the patterns stamped on instead of requiring me to do it all from scratch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/Anyechka/Artwork%20and%20Writing/DSC03522.jpg

I actually miscalculated a few times for this, so Buddha is a bit shorter than he was supposed to be, and a few other things are slightly off, but I guess it's not like anyone could really tell there are mistakes unless I told them.

WOW!!!

Can you translate what the symbols say? I'd love to do something like this...

I'm a big believer in having all my projects with some flaw in them. Gets the stress out of being perfect when you do something out of place...

:D

Carrie-Anne
05-19-2011, 11:36 PM
Can you translate what the symbols say? I'd love to do something like this...

The top one on the right means Health, and the one below it means Happiness. On the far left, from top to bottom, the symbols mean Bliss, Serenity, Tranquility, Calmness, and Leisure. In the column next to that, with the butterfly, from top to bottom, they mean Well-Being, Spirituality, Harmony, and Peace.

I've got another Buddha cross-stitch kit with some Chinese characters, a gift from my unofficial fiancÚ, but I haven't had time to start that one yet.

Sheryl Nantus
05-19-2011, 11:49 PM
The top one on the right means Health, and the one below it means Happiness. On the far left, from top to bottom, the symbols mean Bliss, Serenity, Tranquility, Calmness, and Leisure. In the column next to that, with the butterfly, from top to bottom, they mean Well-Being, Spirituality, Harmony, and Peace.

I've got another Buddha cross-stitch kit with some Chinese characters, a gift from my unofficial fiancÚ, but I haven't had time to start that one yet.

If it's not too much trouble, can you drop me the serial number so I can hunt that one down? It looks totally faboo!!!

I also did a Wedding Prayer (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cross+stitch+wedding+prayer+apache&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8505169495403121571&sa=X&ei=K3TVTZHEC8XJgQfwiLmJDA&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAQ&biw=1003&bih=563#)- now I've got the urge to pull out all those half-finished projects and get back at it!

*looks at half-edited book*

argh...

Carrie-Anne
05-20-2011, 04:43 AM
The link to it on the Dimensions website: http://www.colray-crafts.com/DimensionWebE/newhtm/products.php

I've found most of my projects at Michael's or JoAnn's, or been given them as gifts. I found one of the designs I'd wanted for awhile (a Bengal tiger against a black background) marked down three or four times, to only $5, that way.

AnnieColleen
05-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Me! Not a lot recently due to some other issues, but I've done cross-stitch since I was a kid (learned from my grandmother). And, yeah, most of mine go as gifts.

This one was a wedding present for a friend:
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z278/AnnieColleenSA/P1020258-1.jpg

MaryMumsy
07-13-2011, 07:00 AM
I have numerous chart books and folders for counted cross stitch and/or needlepoint. A variety of subjects, angels, flowers, southwest, american indian, etc. I can't do either craft any more, too much arthritis in the fingers and old eyes. I will happily gift them to someone(s) who will actually *use* them.

Let me know if you want them, PM me your snail mail, and I'll do 'if it fits, it ships'.

MM

Maryn
07-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Wow, Mary, what a generous offer! Quick, somebody take her up on it. (I would, but I'm having eye issues myself and don't need to add any more close work.)

I used to work at this place that gave two fifteen minute breaks a day, plus lunch hour, and a group of us who had the same assigned break did cross-stitch, needlepoint, and/or crewel for years. I gave away everything but one sampler and my first-ever crewel, which is kind of embarrassing, a kit made for children.

I have no idea where any of it's stored, now. My tastes were different than what I choose to display now. But I'm thinking I might still be able to do crewel, and I could certainly make my own designs. Hmm...

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. Thanks!

Maryn, who should do something in front of the TV besides snack

MaryMumsy
07-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Ding, ding, ding, I have a winner. Actually, no one from here seemed to want them. I did find some one from another group who was excited to get them.

MM