Is it wrong to eat Dog?

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
Serious question. I'm sure everyone knows that there are lots of countries out there that eat food that others think barbaric. But is it really? There are countries that eat Dog, Cat, Monkey, ... etc, and there is a gut reaction to be repulsed by that, but is there any difference between eating a dog and eating a chicken? or a pig? Or is it entirely based on your culture? Can you really be against eating some animals and not against eating ALL animals?

I had a conversation with friends recently and a few of them thought I was awful (to the point that some were outraged) because when I was in Korea recently I was served, and ate, Dog. I see it as a cultural thing, and certainly no more repulsive than eating veal.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
If the dog is still alive, yes.

Muslims and Jews believe it is wrong to eat pork, and certain other creatures. Hindus believe it wrong to eat beef. I believe it is wrong to eat lutefisk (though not for religious reasons).

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Meat's meat.

That being said, touch my dog and tonight you dine in Hell.

Where the service sucks.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with it.

When I was on my way to be stationed in South Korea, I knew they ate dog. At that time the country was poorer and, hey, you eat what you can get. I was ready for it ... until I went to an open-air market in Kunsan. The sight of the skinned dogs horrified me, and I had to remind myself "it's okay, it's okay."

My only concern is if the animal is humanely treated and killed.

Reaction score
Any particular meat is no more or less moral to eat than any other. If it came down to me or Rover, the dog gets it every time.

GET IN MY SAMMICH, DOGGY!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why do I keep visualizing Haggis on a rotisserie . . .

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Meat is meat is meat.

I mean, if you're butchering someone's pet, then I'd have to draw the line. But if I've eaten giraffe and lion and warthog (as well as more conventional meats like cow and pig and the like), I think I could handle dog.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Technically, meat is meat - even homo sapiens. But what we eat (and can stomach to eat) is purely a matter of our religions, cultures, upbringings, and experiences. When I was a kid I had no qualms about eating wild rabbit - but ten years ago when I tried to eat rabbit I'd bought at the store for something different, I couldn't handle it. I'm probably one of those people who if I thought about it a lot would end up a vegetarian (but then I think about all those poor vegetables suffering) :) Puma

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm not sure there is anything wrong with it, but for me, it's cows and chickens with the occasional pig.
Then again, my husband shoots and eats Bambi, and a lot of other furry woodland creatures. I think it's icky.

It's also how you were brought up and where you live.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
My only concern is if the animal is humanely treated and killed.

I'm guessing you missed how the dogs were killed. It's rather . . . inhumane (to put it very lightly), but I tried to be open to the cultural influence. As for the taste, if someone didn't tell me it was dog, I wouldn't have known.

I'm surprised no one has issue with it. I was the only one in my group that seemed not to mind. Perhaps the AW crowd is a bit more open minded to these sorts of things.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
In America, we do not eat dogs, cats, or even horses, because we generally view these not as farm animals, but above those. They are at least pets and become attached to them. Many of us even regard them as our furbabies and the idea of eating one is as abhorrent as eating our own real children.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
In America, we do not eat dogs, cats, or even horses, because we generally view these not as farm animals, but above those. They are at least pets and become attached to them. Many of us even regard them as our furbabies and the idea of eating one is as abhorrent as eating our own real children.

"furbabies" LOL - I've never heard that term before. Need to find a way to put that in the next book I write.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing you missed how the dogs were killed. It's rather . . . inhumane (to put it very lightly), but I tried to be open to the cultural influence.

Oh, I didn't know then nor do I know now, but I agree about being open to others' culture. Honestly, there's just some things I don't want to know if there's nothing I can do about it.

*Sticks head in the sand with fingers in my ears*

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I have nothing against it, either. Not that I've eaten dog (hot dogs aside). Sometimes it's whatever you can get your hands on to survive. I think people have an aversion to it due to the cute and cuddly pet syndrome more than anything.

Why do I keep visualizing Haggis on a rotisserie . . .
Not sure it'd taste very nice. Have you seen him? I wouldn't want to take the chance ;)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Now how about ferret meat?

That brings up a whole issue of, as a general rule we don't eat predators. Dogs. Cats. Ferrets. Lions. Wolves. There's like a professional courtesy going on there.

But if that thing is a vegetarian, we're all over it.

Hmm. I wonder what a real vegetarian would taste like?

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure it'd taste very nice. Have you seen him? I wouldn't want to take the chance ;)
Weren't chihuahua originally bred as a food source? I.e., domesticated by the Toltec or whoever to convert refuse into meat? I read it on the Internet, so it must be true! *flees for life*

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For the most part you do not eat predators because they do not taste good.

Dog are not true carnivores like cats. They will eat other things, given other things to eat. You would be hard put to get a cat to eat some of the things a dog thinks is delicious. Of course, some of the things a dog thinks is delicious includes cat poop. So why would anyone eat a dog? Blech.

I am against people eating monkeys. I don't care what country it is. Or roasting animals alive, such as bear. It is cultural, sure. Usually due to some superstitious nonsense. And things like that need to be addressed. Just because cannibals have spent centuries hunting down strangers and eating them, doesn't mean you should allow it to continue. Especially when you are on the menu. Cruelty is cruelty, whether it has a cultural basis or not.

I do not find it appalling that people in other countries eat dog. No more so than I am troubled by my own enjoyment of pork. I like pork chops and bacon. And a good pork roast properly prepared can't be beat. But pigs are intelligent. And it bothers me to know I will eat an intelligent animal. Cows are dumb as bricks. But not pigs. Before I can get righteously indignant that someone has dog on their menu, I have to get the love of pork meat out of my taste buds. But, any animal raised for human consumption should be treated as humanely as possible in life and when dispatched. Cruelty is not acceptable, where ever it is found.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My cat will eat just about anything. This includes cheese, pizza, french fries, donuts, cinnamon buns. And no, I don't get up in the morning and thrust a donut at my cat. Oh, he LOVES doritos and cake.:tongue