PDA

View Full Version : Internet TV

kowalskil
03-05-2011, 06:19 AM
I was told that buying a HDTV, and signing a long term contract with a cable company, is no longer a good thing to do. The better alternative is to watch most of the same programs, and many more, on the computer screen. The resolution is as good as on HDTV sets, or better. The name of this option is Internet TV.

Please share what you know and think about this option. Thank you in advance.

Ludwik

C.H. Valentino
03-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Netflix and Hulu are the only way I watch TV anymore.

The best way to pick might be to research the shows you watch and find out with Internet boob-tube compant airs them. (I.E Glee is available the day after air on Hulu, but only available to rent by the season on Netflix.)

mulcahy67
03-05-2011, 06:26 AM
eh, i can't stand watching shows on the computer screen. it's tiny, and i can't do something on the computer while watching the show, or else i'd have to minimize the window and make it even tinier.

however, i do have my stuff hooked up to my PS3, so i can stream whatever programs i have/download and my netflix through it. watching things on a computer screen might be cost-saving, but i just prefer the larger experience of a television.

bySD
03-06-2011, 01:25 AM
We got a Netflix sub and watch Hulu. We really like it that way. Since the computer screen was a little small, we bought an HDMI cord to hook up the TV screen to the pc. I don't think you have to do that anymore though.

Shadow_Ferret
03-06-2011, 01:32 AM
I never signed any long term contract with my cable company.

I hate watching shows on my laptop. Everything is blurry and dark scenes are unwatchable. The resolution on my computer is nowhere near as good as with 720 or 1080.

ETA: And even if my laptop did have a good screen, watching TV on a smallish screen just a few feet away isn't an enjoyable experience.

I want a big screen TV along with a decent sound system so I can immerse myself in the experience.

RickN
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM
I like watching TV on my big 55" HDTV. Bluray movies and a surroundsound stereo -- awesome movie nights. Watching soccer, you can almost feel the fake injuries!

I have no desire to have my family cluster around a PC to watch a TV show. So, no. I have no plans to go to Internet TV solely.

ceenindee
03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
It's getting to be that TVs already come with internet connections. You'll be able to stream Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc. without hooking them up to a computer or gaming system.

If you don't want to spend the money on that, watching TV shows on your computer or hooking said computer up to a TV is a fine alternative. The picture quality is decent and the advertisements are short. The only real drawback is the selection (many shows still don't have online streaming options) and the buffering, which will depend on the quality of your internet connection.

If you have a PS3 or Xbox, you'll likely have even better picture quality (unless your computer's really nice), but with the same drawbacks of selection and potential loading times.

Alpha Echo
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
eh, i can't stand watching shows on the computer screen. it's tiny, and i can't do something on the computer while watching the show, or else i'd have to minimize the window and make it even tinier.

however, i do have my stuff hooked up to my PS3, so i can stream whatever programs i have/download and my netflix through it. watching things on a computer screen might be cost-saving, but i just prefer the larger experience of a television.

This.

We have a big screen and surround sound, and we prefer to watch everything on there. Occasionally, I'll watch on the computer shows that I can't DVR b/c the times conflict with other shows we record, but I don't do that often.

We actually just signed up with DirectTV so we can drop DishNET b/c DishNET kept upgrading their equipment. Then, if you don't send in the old stuff and wade through the outsourced employees on the other end of the line to get the new stuff, the TV channels start to skip. They flash a warning at you too fast to even read it. We can't keep up with all the new equipments, so we're hoping DirectTV is better.

maestrowork
03-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Unless you have a 42" computer monitor, you either have to sit at your desk to watch the programs, or you have to get used to "small screen" which is not so bad for TV, but bad for movie experience.

And no, resolution is not better on the computer because with streaming, you're not going to get HD quality. Even what they call "HD" on the Internet is only 480p. Rarely do you get 720 -- unless you have blazing fast Internet and a media service that serves 720 HD. With cable or satellite, you actually get 1080, believe it or not.