Using a Pen Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeyeman9

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! It has been a long time since I was here. I had taken a break from all the writing, but I am getting back in the game again. Anyway, right to the point.

Few years ago, I self-published my first book with me real name. Now, I want to self-publish my second book (through eBooks) but I was thinking about using a pen name.

Now my question is this: is it smart to use a pen name now, even though my first book has another name? What if I want to re-publish the first book, should I use a pen name there (if I am using a pen name for the rest)?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Jose

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
It really depends on why you're using a pen name.

A writer I know locally writes in two very different styles. For one, she uses her maiden name (Megan Lindholm); for the other, she uses a pen name (Robin Hobb). She does this because a Megan Lindholm book reads very differently than a Robin Hobb book, and by keeping them under separate names people don't go to read one expecting the other.

Others have used it when they write in different genres. Jim Rigby wrote romance under the pen name Reagan O'Neal, at least one Western under the pen name Jackson O'Reilly, and fantasy novels under the pen name Robert Jordan. However, the fame he gathered as Robert Jordan led the Reagan O'Neal novels to be republished as "by Robert Jordan, writing as Reagan O'Neal" in hopes of garnering sales on the back of the success of Wheel of Time.

Some have used a pen name when trying to separate themselves from the work. There's a series of science fiction adventure novels aimed at younger readers called the Lucky Starr series, which some have cited as a probable partial inspiration for Star Wars. The author, Paul French, was actually Isaac Asimov. The books were originally written to be turned into a television series, and Asimov was concerned the series would turn out badly, so he didn't want his name associated with the books. When the television series was never made, he owned up to being the author; any of the Lucky Starr books you find in print now will read "by Isaac Asimov, writing as Paul French," but the original editions just listed Paul French.

Other people use a pen name because their real name is associated with their work, and they don't want to clutter a Google search. Or because their real name is in use by another author, and they don't want the confusion. Or because their real name is impossible to spell, and they want an easier one to deal with. Etc.

So any answer really comes down to "why do you want to use a pen name now," in terms of whether or not you should republish the first book under a new name. :)

yeyeman9

Registered
Reaction score
Wow Alex. Very very very, informative post. Thanks!

Well there are actually a few reasons as to why I want to use a pen name. First and foremost, is the fact that my name is actually pretty long (and in spanish). Here in Puerto Rico, we use both our parents last names. So I have to names plus two last names, and it seems a little bit crowded. I have managed to come up with a cool combination of both last names, letting me use my two initials (of my names) plus that combination of the last name.

Another reason is that my name, completely (both the names and my first last name together) is actually pretty common. So if you search for it, it is very hard to find ME, unless of course you put in my FULL name, including both last names and that seems kind of...well not helpful.

And third reason is because I want to do the two initials plus a last name kind of thing.

So yeah, those are pretty much the reasons :).

Cheers,
Jose

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
If you do a search for "Pen Names" you'll pull up a load of threads with some very interesting discussions on the subject.

coolkayaker1

Hello from Chicagoland!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.coolkayaker1.blogspot.com
Pen Name -- seriously

I'm thinking of using a pen name so that a disgruntled internet stalker who hates my book and who thinks I stole his "idea" doesn't find me and lop off my head with a machete while I sleep.

sheilas_world

digging in my word garden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
newsfromsheilasworld.blogspot.com
I'm also thinking about using a pen name, because a google search brings up all kinds of people with my name. One is a big-time casting director for TV, at least one is/was a singer, one has a rather, er, revealing self-portrait on the 'Net, and the social networks are full of them. A couple even look a little like me.

So much for my mother's idea that she gave me an unusual name--she should have stuck with David Wayne, at least that would have generated some interesting fan sites!

missouridalton

Propoganda wrapped up in a scarf.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
missouridalton.blogspot.com
I made the decision for genre reasons. Missouri Dalton is the pen name I plan to use for all of my m/m "erotica" (I don't consider it such) while I will use a variation of my real name for other YA and Fantasy works not of that variety.

Keeps things neat and tidy, and I don't have to explain to my conservative family members why my name is on a book sold by an erotica publisher. Ever. Never, never, ever.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I write under two different names because I write in two very different genres. "Jo Ramsey" is closer to my real name, and is the name I use for writing YA. "Karenna Colcroft" is the name under which I write erotic romance. I definitely don't want my YA readers finding my erotic stuff! And there are some people (including my ex-husband) who know me as Jo Ramsey, and I don't want them knowing about the erotic stuff either.

deana

Greetings Programs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zhollis.com
Keeps things neat and tidy, and I don't have to explain to my conservative family members why my name is on a book sold by an erotica publisher. Ever. Never, never, ever.

Here, Here! And I don't want corporate america to get a different "impression" of me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.