Newbie Poll - How far along are you?

How much of a newbie are you?

• Not started writing - I am just getting ideas or information

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not started writing - I have ideas for characters, plots, topics, ...

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Just started - I have written a chapter or two.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I am almost done, but not finished.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • My work is complete but not published yet.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Experienced published writer - Just new to this forum

Votes: 17 14.7%

• Total voters

david_v

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just curious how "New" people really are.

Dave

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there
Shiny brand new here. Signed up yesterday...posting today.

How far along...dunno. What are we measuring?

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
beckahrah... yup. That;s pretty new! I feel like a golden oldie! :Sun:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
You need another category in there for "inexperienced published writer". (-:

-Suzanne

fez

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with zanzjan and would add that there is also a yawning chasm between "one or two chapters" and "almost done".
:tongue

I'm dead in the middle, doing a rewrite of the beginning before I move on. I came aboard the other day because I'm considering putting some up to get some feedback.

But I've been reading some of the critiques... I'm growing rather afraid! I may have to lurk about until my skin thickens!

TypoToffee

Registered
Reaction score
Oops.. I can write. Just can't read!

I'm post production and Querying my first. Got up this morning at 0 dot nothing to work some more on my second. Printed it off so far... dropped the pages... and am cursing myself that I hadn't set up page numbers on this one yet.

I need caffeine.:cry:

Mike TV

Registered
Reaction score
Just joined today.
I have written a first draft of a one-act play and also a two-act play.
I've no experience in formatting stage plays so have to do a bit of research on that.

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
75% of first novel on paper, being reviewed by proofreader friend so I can incorporate changes in remainder. Also, waiting for muses and time to finish the sucker. Three other novels in various initial stages. One short story finished and submitted to contest - awaiting word
icon11.gif
. Second short story, based on first but written from POV of minor antagonist in first story, half finished.

Guerrien

Fire Bad, Tree Pretty
Registered
Reaction score
Just started writing it myself. Stuck somewhere between my brain finally catching on that it's allowed to be creative again, and it figuring out creative means that it needs to start churning out words. Hurry up, brain. D:

Cwm

Gator Bait
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like multiples answers to this one.

I'm a noob to AW. Been here less than a week.

My calling is to write fantasy/science fiction.

But I've made my living as a writer, print journalist, mostly ... now I am the risk communicator/public information officer for a 14-county public health district in Georgia. The writing I do for my day job gets published in newspapers, magazines, online, etc. regularly.

Meanwhile, I've had a few short stories published in regional literary mags. I've finished an epic/high fantasy, shopped it to agents and gotten a bunch of rejections, although not yet enough to paper a bathroom.

My current WIP is a paranormal thriller. WC is 59,000+.

Because of my circumstances, I don't really seem to fit into your poll categories, sorry.

JulieBeth

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how you can answer as a non-fiction writer who is not writing a book (i.e. poetry, articles, short stories, essays, blogging) :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how you can answer as a non-fiction writer who is not writing a book (i.e. poetry, articles, short stories, essays, blogging) :)

A proposal:

For people writing articles/essays:
1) Not started writing -- just thinking about subject(s)
2) Not started writing -- actively researching what has to be factual vs. what I can just make up.
3) Just started
4) I have finished an article, printed it out in columns and a very small font, and rubber-cemented it into an issue of National Geographic over some article about pangolins that I didn't understand. I now carry "my issue" everywhere to show people.
5) I have finished an article or two and sent them to real magazines/venues, but haven't sold any.
6) I have sold a few articles.
7) I am THE AUTHORITY.

For people blogging:
1) I am still blogging about my cat
2) I am thinking about things to blog about other than my cat
3) I have blogged about things other than my cat
4) I have blogged about things other than my cat AND not had a picture of my cat as my icon AT THE SAME TIME.
5) I revealed state secrets and am now in hiding in Switzerland. With my cat.
6) My blog got slashdotted/boingboinged.

For us fiction folks:
1) Yes, I am no longer writing about zombie sex and space ninjas.
2) What?

-Suzanne

LGSmith

Registered
Reaction score
New to this forum, er, well, actually I signed up back in November and then never posted. I've lurked a few times. Finally decided to say hello.

I've completed two novels and have three or four others in various states of undress. Of those maybe one has the potential to see a written ending some day.

Last edited:

JulieBeth

Registered
Reaction score
@Suzanne Too funny! I guess since I don't write fiction, I fell like the bastard red-headed stepchild - no offense to any bastard, red-head, or stepchild here! ;)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
@Suzanne Too funny! I guess since I don't write fiction, I fell like the bastard red-headed stepchild - no offense to any bastard, red-head, or stepchild here! ;)

Well hey, where do we fiction folks get our ideas from? Good articles! (And bad dreams.) We're all part of the same big wordiverse. (-:

-Suzanne

david_v

Registered
Reaction score
Suzanne,

What up with the cat reference:(
My 1400 page novel is about my cat:)

David

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
My 1400 page novel is about my cat:)

Ooooh, is it written from your cat's POV? Did you include homemade cover art of your cat which you're clearly stating in your cover letter must be included as a part of any sale? Because I understand publishers love that kinda thing!

-Suzanne
(who would have replied earlier but was held hostage for many hours by a number of said cats lying atop me, covering up my pleas for help with their strange rumbly sounds, and securing my cooperation with threats of going medieval on my feet if I dared so much as move a toe.)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I'm shopping around my first (shopped-around) work of fiction and have a collection of a dozen rejections

Congratulations, that's a good start! You know at every fifty you're allowed to throw yourself a party, right? (And you're working on your next thing while this is making the rounds?)

-Suzanne

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie on the forum...but I've already written a draft for my story lol. I'm right now looking at different paths in the story. Slightly rewriting a few chapters, completly rewriting others, adding characters, scenes, etc.

JoyceD

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting poll. I have completed my first and am shopping for an agent. Working on my second, and have plans for my third. Loving every minute of it.

Oh yeah, and MY CAT happens to be my Avatar. How can he not? He's so stinkin' cute!

I didn't know we were allowed to throw a party every 50 rejections. Hm. What shall me theme be? Not quite there yet, but at the rate things are going I'm sure I will be soon.

Who wants to bring the booze?