Surprise! You have another sister!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]This morning, my "middle" sister (I'm the youngest of three girls) called me. She told me when we were all very young, my mom had another baby, a girl, who she put up for adoption. This now-middle-aged woman contacted my oldest sister last week.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Background: In the early 1940s, my mom had to drop out of high school to care for her mother who had had a stroke. Being the eldest, that was her responsibility. Later, her husband, my dad, was a drunk and incredibly abusive. Mom had had five kids with him; the first-born, a boy, drowned when he was six, so she had us four remaining. She found the courage, with four small children and no education and no money, to run away from Dad. My eldest sister, over the next decades, had rarely mentioned the time my dad found us and beat my mom almost to death. This morning, my middle sister told me she remembers the abuse that day. She said he raped her. And left.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I found out this morning my mom got pregnant, gave birth to a girl and gave her up. A few years ago, this woman got information from the state adoption agency on her birth parents, and found my eldest sister on a genealogy Web site. This gal worked up the courage and called my eldest sister.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've been bawling all morning remembering how my poor mom suffered, but how she put us kids first and struggled to survive and put food on the table for her children. She never complained.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Before I called this new sister, I called Mom first. She's surprisingly nonchalant, but she said she couldn't give the new baby anything, but sent her to have a better life than what she could give. She has dementia now, but I also take the nonchalance as a mental-emotional protective wall that surrounded her for decades. She said she's glad the news is out.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I spoke to this new gal just now for about a half hour. Wow, this is a lot to mentally embrace, but all us girls are ready to physically embrace her. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I need a drink. Wow, I have a little sister![/FONT]

Last edited:

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
THIS IS GREAT!!!!

what a story too...wow, I hope you get to meet her and give her that big hug sooner rather than later

:)

this is very exciting...congratulations a hundred times over!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Best to all of you

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WOW, just WOW!!! :Hug2:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wow! Congratulations! I'm so glad that this seems to be positive for all of you. An extra blessing! :)

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
'Hoping Sister did have the comfortable, loving home your Mother wished for her, and that you can All reunite happily! :)

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind wishes and sentiments! My little sister (MAN! That's mind boggling!) freely admits she has had a good life so far, and seems to appreciate Mom's thinking and desire for her.

I still can't think straight. My mind's a muddle. It'll take some getting used to, but it's a journey I think all us girls are looking forward to.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
It's a lot to wrap your head around.

When I was younger, my dad found out that he had a sister. It was a lot to take in.

Hopefully, it all turns out well and you get a chance to enjoy time with your sister.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just think, you might have more neices and nephews and another brother-in-law too. :)

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Lavern08 said:
Just think, you might have more neices and nephews and another brother-in-law too.

That's true! I've already updated my little spreadsheet for birthdays and my list for Christmas cards (in the "Family" section, of course)! No nieces or nephews, but potentially a new brother-in-law soon.

ETA: And I can't forget her mom: the woman who raised her. She sounds like a very sweet lady.

Last edited:

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
wow, how mind blowing. Wishing you all the best for a wonderful reunion.

And your mother sounds like such a strong, brave woman.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Wow! how exciting! I hope you guys get to make up for some lost time.

Hey, while you're at it, do you want my older sister? I got no use for her and she could use a nice family to torment... I mean.. I mean... to bring joy to. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Strangely enough, I can relate a little.

Before my parents got married, dad was seeing this other woman. Anyway, about 4 years ago, when I was 22, I found out that woman had gotten pregnant just before dad left her to be with my mum. The woman kept it a secret until 4 years ago, but she had had a daughter.

So I have a second older sister (well, half-sister) who I've met only once. She's probably about 10 years older than I am... my older brother, the oldest of me and my immediate siblings, is only 7 years older than me.

Anyway, dad, me and sis met this mystery relation once, and the new girl seemed to want nothing to do with me and sis, but seemed to think dad owed her something, when he had had no idea her mother got pregnant by him.

Needless to say, we haven't seen her since. I think she actually demanded money from dad after that first meeting.

Sis didn't like her straight away. I was kind of indifferent, the same way she was indifferent about me.

*shrug*

So yeah, I found out I had another sister when I was about 22. But it never came to anything.

Hopefully you get on with your new little sister straight off the bat. :)

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all again for your sweet thoughts.

Oh, that's a shame, Cliff Face. I have to remind myself not all such relationships work or the reasons for contacting the new family are not all for true "family" reasons. I find it interesting your sister felt right away something was not right. Thank you for your kind wishes.

I do think this new relationship will go far. She has few members in her adoptive family (but it sounds like she has a lot of friends). So all of us on both sides look forward to meeting and building a new family.

My two older sisters (who've known for a week) have called several times today to see how I'm doing. The emotionalism in thinking about my mom's quiet suffering has worn me out. But that's passing. It'll be much better tomorrow.

Snowstorm

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! how exciting! I hope you guys get to make up for some lost time.

Hey, while you're at it, do you want my older sister? I got no use for her and she could use a nice family to torment... I mean.. I mean... to bring joy to. :)

Thank you, but no. Mine's growing nicely. But thanks for asking! :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, well, even though I've only met my half-sister once, and it didn't work out at all... I do get on pretty well with my step-sister and step-brother (and my step-mum, come to that).

Dad's been a busy boy... 4 children, 3 legitimate, plus now 2 step-children. :p

But yeah - my step-family are all really nice people. My step-mum is one of my biggest supporters of my writing (and the second-last smoker in the family, after me), my step-sis is hilarious and the life of the party, and step-bro is just a really nice guy.

Step-bro and step-sis both live in England, whereas me and my family (including step-mum) live in Australia... so I've only met the step-siblings once each, though for 3 or 4 days each time.

So it can work out for the best. Good luck with it. :)

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with everything!

Charlee

Sometimes I have no Y
Registered
Reaction score
Wow that's just shocking. I hope it all goes well for you! Wow what a story!

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
Snowstorm, I can completely relate to how you must feel in many ways. My best friend was adopted and when I was 13, my mum, by way of trying to make my friend understand how or why some mother’s adopted out children told me that she had adopted out a girl who was older than me because she had no way to care for the child, and the child deserved more than she could provide at that time as their were no benefits available. That was that, the only explanation I had been given, and for years I would wonder where this older sister was.

When I was in my early 20s I received a telephone call from a woman who claimed to be my younger sister. Her name was Lisa. I soon started to ponder the date that Lisa was born in 1969, not as early as I had previously been told my mother had adopted out a girl. As it worked out my mum had this older daughter in the early 60s – fell pregnant with my brother to my father in 1965, married my father then I was born the following year in 1966. She left my dad and was having an affair with a married man, and fell pregnant to him, this was Lisa’s father but he wouldn’t leave his wife, and again my mother thought she was doing the best thing, and after 3 months of being in a hospital Lisa was adopted. Lisa’s father left his wife and my mum and him were together for 20 odd years. They had another daughter named Tracey 3 years younger than Lisa, and 6 years younger than myself.

Lisa and I instantly connected and formed a friendship that was to last until she was murdered about 9 years ago. She and our younger sister, Tracey, Lisa’s full blooded sister had lived a parallel life, which is beyond this post. But as many people know, our younger sister, Tracey has been missing since early 1993 and I have a website and facebook page for her.

Prior to Christmas I was contacted by a man who believed he was the father of a daughter Tracey had adopted out about six months prior to her disappearance. Although we had suspicions of such a matter, we were never sure if this had happened. He since has been trying to locate her, and yesterday I received an email from him saying that this girl, named Helen, lives near me, has grown up around horses as her father’s job is involved with horses. Tracey, her mother, had horses of her own and I have a hundred ribbons she won at carnivals, and also pictures of a younger Tracey with her horses. DNA testing needs to be done to see if this fellow is Helen’s father, but after that either way I am hoping very much to meet this young girl who is almost 19, so she can have some of her mothers belongings, and learn about her mother’s family.

Just prior to finding out that my younger sister had adopted out her own daughter, I was thinking about all the heartache my mother had experience and the great sense of loss that she has lived with, not only due to the children she adopted out, but for the loss of Lisa twice, and of Tracey. I started a new WIP about Adoption and the loss that is attached to both the mother and child forever, which is completely fictional and tentatively titled Unforgettable Sin. I soon discovered that in Australia, something was unique in that in a 40 year period unwed single women adopted out almost 100,000 children, spurred on by a cruel society, and a adoption industry that believed single mothers were not capable of looking after their own children and they were better off with adoptive parents. It would take until the 90s for a government inquiry to discover that the majority of these women were forced and coerced to adopt out their children against their will. They never made aware of government funds that were aviable to them or their rights in regard to their children. My mother had been brainwashed she was worthless and unworthy of being able to care for her children out of wedlock, and that she was truely doing the best thing for her children. With Lisa, my mum had been threatened with having my brother and me taken off her, if she tried to keep Lisa. With Margaret, the oldest daughter, she was really stollen from my mother. All very sad, really.

I’m sorry for the rant, but I truly wish you all the best with this new discovery. I would liken the experience of meeting my sister, Lisa, to one of being similar of falling in love, where every moment was taken with wanting to share time together and wanting to know more about each other.

Last edited: