Please help on World Series scene

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Howdy Sports Writers,

I've written a mystery novel where a major turn of the plot takes place during a World Series party and the action is sort of inter-linked with the game. Problem is, I wrote the book originally set in 1987 so I had a marvelous Game 7 to work with.

Two agents advised me, separately, to move the book to present-day. I've finished the revision except for that World Series scene. The reason is, I can't find a series since 2001 that's got as much punch for me as the '87 and anything I choose would date the book anyway.

Question: would it be kosher with sports fans if I took my 1987 World Series scene, changed the names, and made a fictional series?

I might even use the same team names just for fun. I could have the announcer refer back to the '87 game and thus leave in some of the wedding scenes and fun language--like the "Twinkies." and comparing a pitcher to "Sweet Music" Viola.

Any thoughts welcome.

Lucie

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't.

Here's an idea, I'm not sure what time frame you want to use now, but if it's 2010 or earlier, you can always find a single game (regular season or playoff) that was exciting. All the MLB teams have a rival (or two); for example, a game between New York and Boston is typically a heated game for the fans. Maybe instead of a World Series party, you could have it be the die-hard fans at the local sports bar. And the 2011 season is just around the corner.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Alleycat. I think maybe it isn't so important for it to be a seventh game or even the last game of the series. I think I need it to be the World Series, though, because half the people aren't sports fans. It would have to be a major event to get them in a room watching a ballgame.

This is a big help. I guess I'lkl be searching the MLB archives for a good first- or mid-series game.

Warm regards, '

Lucie

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Not to me, you lose part of your market if you do that, I think. The Phillies Roy Halliday had a one hitter last year in the playoffs. That was pretty exciting. Unfortunately we didn't make it to the WS after going the two previous years.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Amy! I just saw your note. I ended up using an Astros/Cards game from this season. The book takes place in Houston and, well, according to my sons, most Astros fans hate the Cards.

I appreciate the advice. As a non-sports fan, I had no idea how sacred the history of baseball can be.

Regards,

Lucie

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Amy! I just saw your note. I ended up using an Astros/Cards game from this season. The book takes place in Houston and, well, according to my sons, most Astros fans hate the Cards.

I appreciate the advice. As a non-sports fan, I had no idea how sacred the history of baseball can be.

Regards,

Lucie

Looks like I showed up late to the party, but I'll just throw this out here anyways.

If the story takes place in Houston and agents are looking for something recent, game 3 of the 2005 Series would have been a good one to choose. Astros and White Sox: neither team has won the Series in a long time so there's a lot at stake, and it goes into extra innings.

Game tied in the bottom of the ninth. The Astros had their winning run on third. Minute Maid park was literally deafening. But it went to extra innings when he got stranded, I think from either a strikeout or a pop-out.

Chicago got the lead in the top of the final extra inning off a single shot, and then got one more on a bases-loaded walk. Houston's reliever just completely lost it that inning. I don't know if there's been a more rapid single-inning meltdown on a World Series mound than that night. And you know people in the stadium were starting to think about where they parked. But!

In the bottom half Houston put runners on the corners. Two outs. It's like the ninth inning all over again. You just figure the stadium was going to collapse because it's so loud. But all the noise just evaporated when the game ended on an infield fly.

I was pretty drunk that night (college freshman), however I definitely remember that game! Really a roller-coaster ride and one of the more intense World Series moments in recent times, even though the series overall wasn't that memorable.

Your story sounds like something I'd pick off a shelf. Good luck with the agent hunting!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Aaron & Slushie. I do want to include the Astros or the Rangers because the story takes place in Houston. I'll look at that game you mentioned, Slush. I remember my then-5-yr-old sobbing over that Series.

Thanks for all the GREAT suggestions,

Lucie