PDA

View Full Version : Prefer critiquing in different genre than one writes!

kalencap
03-02-2011, 10:55 PM
After visiting the SYW forums, I've found I'm more readily critiquing on pieces that are in different genres than what I write.

Just checking if anyone else finds this true for themselves as well? Makes me wonder if I might be a better beta swap for someone writing scific/fantasy rather than contemporary where I'd classify my wip.

quicklime
03-02-2011, 11:41 PM
yes and no....

I crit a variety of things in the query section, but not the actual work section as much. In the query section i do find areas I enjoy more or less, they don't seem to always shelve with what I pick up at the bookstore

blacbird
03-02-2011, 11:50 PM
To some extent. I don't write (at least so far) mysteries or fantasies, but I read a lot of them, and am comfortable critiquing in those genres.

Karen Junker
03-03-2011, 02:41 AM
I think for romances at least it is important that the critter read those in order to understand the reader expectations of the genre.

kalencap
03-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Good points, all. In my writer's group, I often wonder how much help I ca be to those writing memoir, since I rarely read it on my own.

BySharonNelson
03-04-2011, 02:13 AM
On my own I generally read romance or paranormal but in writing groups and on forums I crit a bunch of different stuff and enjoy reading all of the different genres. I think its just personal preference. :)

Maryn
03-04-2011, 03:00 AM
I feel qualified to critique in any genre in which I consider myself fairly well read. I would not presume I could give useful input, other than basic writing mechanics, for a work in a genre I don't read.

As Karen said, if the critic knows what's expected in the genre, what's trite, etc., she or he can do a better job.

Maryn, off to cook dinner

amyashley
03-04-2011, 03:09 AM
I agree with both Karen and Maryn (hey that rhymes!) that as long as you know the expectations and like the genres you are fine. Only one of my betas really writes consistently in my genre, and she writes MUCH darker stuff than I do. I really enjoy working with writing partners that have varied styles and work. It makes me look at different aspects of my own writing and I always learn from them.

ALL of them offer me consistently wonderful critique, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

You read widely, don't you? So why not?