The "My Latest Project" thread

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Tell us about and/or show us, your latest handi-work. I have a bunch of "turn-junk-into-art" projects around my house. I'll show them to you and tell you about them. But I want to see yours too!

I get so much inspiration from other people's work.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the before picture.

it's an old transom window from my sister's very cool old house. It wasn't really functional anymore so it sat in her damp basement for a decade. You can see it had about 5 layers of ugly paint (but beautiful stained-glass panes around the edge. The center glass is 40 inches long and 10 inches wide.

355116418053_0_0.jpg

after some back-breaking paint-stripping, sanding, and a wonderful day of picture taking, we have this.

finishedframe1.jpg

I'll show you the photo shoot pics and the pics I took between before and after if you're interested in either of those processes.

:)

YOUR TURN!

Last edited:

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to wait until the weekend to take a picture of the latest project, as it's at work.

For some reason the linky thing on top here just doesn't want to work for me today. If I can get it working, I'll post pics of the last two just completed.

Holly1.jpg

Carouselhorse1.jpg

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a crochet project currently on the hook. I'll have to take some pics when I get home. :) This seems like the beginning of a beautiful thread!

Reaction score
Website
ore-sama.deviantart.com
My last night in Brussels, during which we celebrated my BFF's 22nd b-day, and during which I made up with my other BFF, ended without a decent group shot (we were all too damn drunk). So now I'm working on something to replace a photo. I think it captures the mood well. Puke Man is the birthday-child, and that giggling baby face is the one I made up with, and yeah, that's me in a Desigual dress that doesn't quite cover my double-Ds. And then some more friends, most of which I hardly know.

brgmz7c9vlm5b6ft0.jpg

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, new section!

I don't have pics of my latest project, which was for another writer, but I mostly do things with my own custom pressed pennies, so here's an example. :)

il_570xN.167532660.jpg

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is making me want to, you know, do stuff!

Maryn, big on plans, short on action

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thought some of our history buffs might enjoy these. If I ever get it finished, it'll be a medieval overskirt. Different images on each panel.

Overskirtdetailmule.jpg

Overskirtdetailfalconer.jpg

Overskirtdetailhuntingparty.jpg

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the stuff I've done lately has been for other people, so here's maybe one of the last things I did for myself.

All hail sharpie! (And Dover coloring books, <3!)

parasol.jpg

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I like that. If you hadn't mentioned sharpies, I'd have thought it was redwork embroidery.

What's the background material? Looks like parchment.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I like that. If you hadn't mentioned sharpies, I'd have thought it was redwork embroidery.

What's the background material? Looks like parchment.

Thanks :) It's on a natural-color saa parasol. I have several parasols and wanted to try decorating one myself. Ran out of steam before doing the mehndi designs in the background that I'd originally intended, but I like it still. Two colors of sharpie to get the henna color: Marigold and Burgundy.

Last edited:

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are all so creative. I love drawing and painting. But haven't done it in awhile. Would love to get into pottery and jewelry making. This is motivating me to get back into art.

L_N

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to get into jewelry making myself, but I don't think I have a sense of pattern/design. Things tend to come out asymmetrical when I'm finished with it :)

estyles

Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh, that's incredibly cool! Did you paint the images yourself or find the fabric pre-printed someplace?

estyles

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a netbook with the idea in mind that it would help me get more writing done outside the house. Instead I've taken it in my head that I need to make a case to put it in. This photo's a bit outdated, but it gets the general idea across:

DSC_7948 by Emily Penguin, on Flickr

L_N

Registered
Reaction score
I love knitting :) I recently started doing origami again, and this isn't the 8 - 11 yo origami. The designs I have are made by professional origami artists and they all have crazy-ass multiple folds and creases that will cause your head to spin.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
My sister wanted a custom-sized painting for her new office, and she wanted it to look like a Kinkade - detailed, containing some plants and architecture, dramatic lighting. After some research and discussion we settled on an interior view of a greenhouse/conservatory. Here's the current version of the painting - I'm in the middle of doing the vines. The ones in the blue bowls are black eyed susan vines, the ones in the terracotta pots are clematis. Next will be two urns flanking the door with hibiscus in them, then the bottom part will have a stream, a footbridge, a weeping cherry tree, and more flowers in boxes. Comments/suggestions welcome. :)

vinesyellowflowers.jpg

A.R. Starr

Writing Addict & Proud Of It
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenderbard.proboards.com
I'm working on a patchwork backpack for myself, because my university backpack is to big for day-to-day general use, and my smaller leather backpack is wearing out. No pictures yet, but it's bright and colourful with a brown suede lining.

Sooo close to being finished too.

Vespertilion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're thinking of getting a new mattress (king sized!) and I have a leftover panel from a bifold door I got on clearance for another project.

I think I'm going to try my hand at upholstering it for a padded headboard. It's hollowcore, so it will be light enough even with the padding to hang on the apartment walls.

Of course, the discount stores always have pretty wood tile placemats like these for cheap, too...

img68m.jpg

I could always paint the door panel and cover it with those. Hrm.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm entering this scarf in the Calgary Stampede art show. Took about 170 hours to do.

Magpiescarf002.jpg

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, the multiple talents of writers. Could study this section all night!

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
All of these are amazing! Multi-talented people here!

I just recently got a magnifier with a light (my old eyes, they aren't what they used to be!) and so I can pick up my hand-craft interests again.

[is now fired up to start my projects]