Making soup without a blender or mixer :(

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've just been to our local market and stocked up on lovely veggies for a song.
I've got some home made chicken stock taking up space in the freezer and tomorrow is also bread making day. So I thought soup and bread warm from the oven would make a nice tea.

I thought about making a nice creamy vegetable soup with leeks, potatoes, carrots and perhaps some cauliflower. Sadly, our budget doesn't stretch to a blender at the moment, so I can't liquidize the soup when it's cooked. If I let the soup simmer until the cauli, taters and carrots are really soft, can I beat it into submission? Suggestions?

Sincerely,

Desperate for home made soup

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a sieve? If I'm just making enough for one or two people I often let everything simmer till very soft and then just mash it through a sieve with a wooden spoon. (You'll need to practically shred the carrots, of course, or you'll be there forever... and chop the leeks very small because they don't really go through the mesh. The spuds will be fine, and the cauli as well.)

I kind of prefer it that way - make the texture a bit more interesting.

Zucchini is lovely added to cauli soup :) Enjoy!

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a sieve? If I'm just making enough for one or two people I often let everything simmer till very soft and then just mash it through a sieve with a wooden spoon. (You'll need to practically shred the carrots, of course, or you'll be there forever... and chop the leeks very small because they don't really go through the mesh. The spuds will be fine, and the cauli as well.)

I kind of prefer it that way - make the texture a bit more interesting.

Zucchini is lovely added to cauli soup :) Enjoy!

Yup, I have a sieve. I also have a masher, so I could mash the carrots, cauli and potatoes before shoving them through the sieve.

Brilliant! Thank you.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest what mccardey suggested.

I'll now just add something to it. If you don't have a strainer/sieve and decide to buy one, go ahead and buy a good one. They usually come in small, medium, and large. A medium would probably work for this, although a large might be handier for the job.

Or, yes, you could just beat or mash it into a creamy mixture.

Or - hey! Do you have a can-opener...?

Last edited:

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
the main thing is that it's do-able.

I shall take photos of the finished product (if the kitchen isn't a bomb site by the time I've finished). :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I deleted my post, since it was pointless if firedrake already had a masher and sieve. I typed it before seeing the latter posts.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
The smaller you chop things to start with, the easier it will be. Grating would work too.

Could you just leave the soup a little chunky? or are you trying to hide veggies from someone?

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
The smaller you chop things to start with, the easier it will be. Grating would work too.

Could you just leave the soup a little chunky? or are you trying to hide veggies from someone?

I'm not too fussed if it's a little chunky, the main thing is to make sure the potatoes are mushed because they thicken the soup.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I deleted my post, since it was pointless if firedrake already had a masher and sieve. I typed it before seeing the latter posts.
You really shouldn't have suggested she pre-chew her veggies, alley.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
The soup was lovely.

I mashed it and then pushed part of it through a sieve and left the rest. I forgot to take photos. There wasn't even any left over once Himself took a second large bowl.

I'll be making that again.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the bean soups I make include lentils or split peas. When they dissolve, they thicken the soup without blending.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mmmmm.... soup.....

Didn't you save us any??

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
mmmmm.... soup.....

Didn't you save us any??

No chance.

Since my husband started working (with yearlings) he never stops eating :Wha: He ate two huge bowlfuls along with three pieces of cornbread. He's eating me out of house and home.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
If you happen to have a large mortar and pestle, cooked vegetables can be creamed in one. If you happen to have a grater, raw vegetables can be run through that (well, not tomatoes, they just squish, dice them instead.)