Yuehzi Marriage Practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Anyone know if the Kushan or the Yuehzi believed in polygamy? I know it's a long, long shot.

I hit up an expert (University Professor) and she said she believed harems came in with the Muslims.

The little I know of Cultural Anthropology in this area doesn't dictate he could or couldn't in any sense. Agriculture did allow for serial wives, especially with the royal families. The Scythians definitely had polygamy. Kushans, I'm not sure of.

Kujula Kadphises also wanted a Chinese Princess, but it's after the dates I'm looking at. He was also Buddhist (most likely). I don't know if that helps. There isn't much info on him at all.

Any clue or can I fudge this and take a wild stab at it? Or does anyone know the solid answer?

cuddlekins

Registered
Reaction score
Actually Kujula Kadphises was supposed to be a Zoroastrian. I read a paper once which said that the belief that he was a Buddhist was considered wrong because coins from that era/age that were supposed to have been previously thought to be of Buddha, instead depicted his father/grandfather. Buddhism is supposed to have become a major religion among the Kushan only some 150/200 years after Kujula Kadphises.

I know I haven't answered your question actually, but I do not know anything about marriage at that time. Sorry.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Actually Kujula Kadphises was supposed to be a Zoroastrian. I read a paper once which said that the belief that he was a Buddhist was considered wrong because coins from that era/age that were supposed to have been previously thought to be of Buddha, instead depicted his father/grandfather. Buddhism is supposed to have become a major religion among the Kushan only some 150/200 years after Kujula Kadphises.

I know I haven't answered your question actually, but I do not know anything about marriage at that time. Sorry.
Cool! I'd love to read that paper if you have it kicking around. I can't find much about the ruler Kujula, so I'm open to more info, especially about his character.

I read that most of the surrounding tribes are polygamous, so if no one has a particular answer via religion or other means, I'm hoping archeology will not beat me into the ground upon a grand new discovery while I write the book and I can slide with polygamy...

But I'm open to the possibility that polygamy was not an option... if anyone has a source.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Neither Buddhism or Hinduism had issues with polygamy, and there is extremely little known about them ... I'd risk it.

cuddlekins

Registered
Reaction score
Cool! I'd love to read that paper if you have it kicking around. I can't find much about the ruler Kujula, so I'm open to more info, especially about his character.

I read that most of the surrounding tribes are polygamous, so if no one has a particular answer via religion or other means, I'm hoping archeology will not beat me into the ground upon a grand new discovery while I write the book and I can slide with polygamy...

But I'm open to the possibility that polygamy was not an option... if anyone has a source.

I will look for the paper. I'm not sure I do have it, but if I do, I'll share it with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.