Short Story Collection Cover

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
Hello folks! This is a young adult short story collection cover for Kindle and Smashwords. I'd like a cover critique but also help with thumbnails.

I made this on wordle.net and my husband and I played around with it in Photoshop (made the title stand out and added the "seven short stories" bit). I like it, but I'd love any feedback.

Picture7.jpg

As for the thumbnails, I think they end up looking kind of cluttered on Amazon and Smashwords, and it seems like it loses some of the color.

Link to screen cap of Amazon (it's not live right now).
Link to Smashwords.

I'm not sure what happens when it goes to thumbnail, maybe they compress it? Because the thumbnail looks fine on my photobucket. What do you think? Does it lose its prettiness when downsized? Or is it still eye catching? Am I totally over thinking this? The thumbnail is the first thing they'll see, though, since it's an ebook.

Thanks! :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They use thumbnails as small as 100x100 on Amazon (along with 160x160 and 300x300). Remember too that people have different monitors, some with small screens and/or low resolution.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very much a fan of the idea, but all the words confuse me; it took a second to recognize what was the title and what was the subtitle. Are these character names or words drawn from the stories? I could tell "Passages" was the title, but I half expected someone named "Ethan" to be the author. I had to scroll down to see the subtitle and author, but it is much clearer on the thumbnails.

I wonder if (I don't know a THING about how to do this) you could make the words (not the title or subtitle) semi-transparent so the title stands out more?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just an idea, if you like the "mixed words" theme.

You could put the title, and author's name (three lines total) on the left side (left justified), and then push the jumble of words over to the right (with a ragged left edge).

pixiejuice

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraraeamos.com
I really like it. But I agree that the names Ethan, Mya, and Alyssa, are a little too close to the title and might be confusing. Can you move those names somewhere else, or make them smaller?

Looks fine enough to me in the smaller size too.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I like the new one much better. It is less confusing and still keeps the same concept.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
The old one did look more artistic. For me, the biggest problem was the similarity in color between the title and the words "going," "Alyssa," and "eyes." I really think if those words were made darker, the title would stand out just fine. (maybe "Theresa" too)