Here Comes Big Brother, or, Tiny Spies

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The Pentagon has poured millions of dollars into the development of tiny drones inspired by biology, each equipped with video and audio equipment that can record sights and sounds.

They could be used to spy, but also to locate people inside earthquake-crumpled buildings and detect hazardous chemical leaks.

The smaller, the better.

Besides the hummingbird, engineers in the growing unmanned aircraft industry are working on drones that look like insects and the helicopter-like maple leaf seed.

Researchers are even exploring ways to implant surveillance and other equipment into an insect as it is undergoing metamorphosis. They want to be able to control the creature.

I read a book recently like this, where the little spybots got into the wrong hands.

Scary, IMO.

No me gusta.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SkyNet will be online any day now

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It sure is a good thing that everybody's well-fed and has a roof over their head and decent healthcare, and all our infrastructure is in tip-top shape. Otherwise, this might be perceived as a case of Nero fiddling while Rome burns, after picking the citizens' pockets to pay for his fiddle.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Don, I definitely think we ought to wait until everybody has every possible need met before we experiment with anything foolish like this. The Army Signal Corps wasted all kinds of money back in the early years of the last century trying to find a military use for those infernal flying machines

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about that too. I mean...where are we getting this money? Why is it so necessary to fund something so scary?

And, if this is what they're allowing the public to know, can you imagine the shit that's going on that they're NOT telling us?