2wk notice on queries?

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Should I give notice on any queries that are out if I have an offer?

I know what to do with partials and fulls.

aekap

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I would only notify a query-holders if she happened to be a dream-agent type... somebody you were pretty sure you'd go with if she offered. Otherwise, I'd let them go.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I did for any agent who was still within a reasonable period of time for giving an answer (mid-November on). For the older ones, I just marked them as rejections and didn't bother. It was only half a dozen, though. Two got back promptly; the rest never did.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
It's up to you -- some agents ask to be kept informed, some don't want it. Since you usually have no way of knowing which is which, go ahead and use your best judgment. I'd inform those you're keen on, and withdraw your query from the others. (If you've very recently queried them, that is -- if it's been out for a couple of months, let it go.)

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have many out, and I think only a spare handful that are recent and worth consideration. The rest I feel confident passing on. I just wanted to know about the most recent ones, especially those with extra material. I would feel terrible for someone to read 50 pages and invest time!

There are a few that are no means no.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
You're free to contact the no-means-no queries as well if the stated time period hasn't passed yet. You might even be able to go one or two weeks over in case the agent is behind (depends on how long said time period is). Many agents are really eager to take a look at an MS that's received an offer of rep, and this is your future career you're dealing with, so many will understand and not think it's unprofessional, even if they'd prefer you didn't do it.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
"VickCorren" said she notified agents she'd queried and hadn't heard from yet. As a result, she ended up with more full/partial requests and a total of seven offers! See her post under the Donald Maass Literary Agency (she links to her blog). :)

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I would say only contact the ones that are reading materials. :)

(And yay for offer!)

Raquel

Registered
Reaction score
Any agent you have a query to that hasn't responded, if you think they're a better fit contact them. They're more likely to read your query and consider it then. Heard this from an agent recently.

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
I'd let them know. The fact that you have an offers makes you a more valuable commodity, and might hasten consideration. If it doesn't, you've lost nothing, and you're saving them some trouble.

HUGE GRATZ BTW :)

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
I never heard of retracting queries when I accepted my offer. I recieved a partial request after I signed and told them I couldn't give them the material. I thought I only had to inform the partials/fulls. The agent was upset and ranted (a little) on her twitter. I felt so guilty and so bad. :(

I'd say mention it. A lot of agents probably won't care, but others might, and you don't want to step on any toes (or shoot your own off.)

Raquel

Registered
Reaction score
You should certainly let them know. Many of them do read if they're interested enough with the query.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I would notify them for my own selfish purposes. LOL You may get some more offers and have some options.

Alright fine, it's also a polite thing to do since you don't have that many. If I had like 60 out there, then I wouldn't do it. That could take an awful lot of time.