Testing a YA novel against a group of teens, should I include reactions in a query?

francisbruno

New Member; Teach Me About Thick Skin!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francisbruno.com
Hi,
Upon a recommendation from an agent, I tested my novel against a group of teens in a High School. I got some good one line reactions regarding the story. In a query letter, is it acceptable or prudent to include any of this information, and if so, how.

Example reaction: "Kara (the protagonist) kicks ass!"

Thanks,
Francis Bruno

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
No. Write a query letter about the book that grabs the agent and makes him/her eager to read it. Period.

If you go the Share Your Work forum (password: vista), in the Query Letter Hell section you'll see a sticky called "Successful Queries" and a few more on the how-tos. Those will show you the acceptable way to write a query.

Good luck!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, the agent will decide for himself. If Kara kicks ass, show it in the query and in any pages you enclose as a sample.

And, um, may I say, Kara does indeed kick said body part. At least the one I know.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What they said.
Including quotes would be seen on the same level as "my mother loved it."

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Think of it this way: even if you hadn't gone to the trouble of getting those opinions and quotes, someone else could just have easily faked quotes like that. That's why it's not a good idea.