First Official Rejection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DivaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I got my first "official" rejection w/ comments a few weeks ago, though I'm just posting about it. I'm not sure if this is a form letter or not and I'm still a little confused about her comments. Like most others, I've re-played the dreaded, "What does that mean?" scenario over and over again in my head.

Here's what she said:

I am sorry I have to decline further interest in TUK. While I found the story and writing appealing, I simply don't feel confident that I could find the right editor and publisher for your work. Perhaps another agent will have the level of enthusiasm necessary to market your book.

I'm guessing this means that she simply doesn't feel enough love for my material. What bothered me was that she said she found the writing and story were appealing, but I guess that doesn't mean much, eh?!

Ah well...:Shrug:

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. Especially with this being your first. And I mean that in a tone of being one step closer to getting your first assignment. Rejections are part of the game. You can scuffle with this and try to read into what she wrote back, but why spend the extra energy on figuring it out? Put all that juice into writing more pieces. Happy writing. Good Luck.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
DivaWriter said:
I got my first "official" rejection w/ comments a few weeks ago, though I'm just posting about it. I'm not sure if this is a form letter or not and I'm still a little confused about her comments. Like most others, I've re-played the dreaded, "What does that mean?" scenario over and over again in my head.

Here's what she said:

I'm guessing this means that she simply doesn't feel enough love for my material. What bothered me was that she said she found the writing and story were appealing, but I guess that doesn't mean much, eh?!

Ah well...:Shrug:

Rejections, no matter how they're worded, always mean the same thing. . ."No thanks." It's very difficult to read between the lines because agents usually don't put anything between the lines. Some write nice rejections to everyone, some send form rejections to everyone, and some don't respond at all.

The only rejections that mean anything at all are ones that ask you for a rewrite, and they aren't really rejections.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
DivaWriter said:
I got my first "official" rejection w/ comments a few weeks ago, though I'm just posting about it. I'm not sure if this is a form letter or not and I'm still a little confused about her comments.
Unless it says something specific about your manuscript, like referring to characters by name or referring to specific points in the work, it's probably a form. Like James said, just treat it as a "no" and move on. And congrats for submitting--it takes guts.

Status
Not open for further replies.