• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta for Sci-Fi/Adventure Novella (39K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
Hello! I have a novella called Finding Fiona that needs a few betas. Technically, it's science fiction, but it's very "soft." It also has action/adventure and bits of young adult, mystery and even fantasy (because as far as I know this science is impossible).

Synopsis:
When Fiona woke up on the harbor with burns on her arms and stab wounds, she had no memory. A year later, she's still unclaimed and ridden with amnesia. On the day of her high school graduation, though, a familiar face shows up and tells her they knew each other. He says her parents were killed in a fire and the men responsible are still looking for Fiona. He leaves her with their names and her old journal, but Fiona soon finds out that the girl she's supposed to be also died in the fire. The journal also mentions something called The Remus Project that seems to have the ability to make replicas of live humans. She goes on a journey to find out who she is and eventually has to face the men responsible for her parents' death.

I need:
- Thoughts on characterization, especially when it comes to the "villains."
- General thoughts on plot and pacing.
- A relatively quick response - a month would be great, I'm planning on publishing it on Kindle and my goal is April.
- Not necessary, but some science help would be great, too. I have no idea how someone might go about making a replication machine and don't even know where to start.

It's 39K and second draft. It's a pretty fast read, in my opinion.

I'd love to reciprocate, but I need to be realistic. I already have a couple other novels I need to beta. I'd love to return the favor in the future, though.

ETA: If you're interested, PM me or comment here :) Thank you!

Last edited:

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
Hello, everyone! This novella has gone through a lot of revisions, and I'm searching for a few last beta readers/proofreaders before I put it on Amazon.com. I feel it's very, very ready, but I want to make sure I've perfected it. The new blurb:

They found Fiona on the harbor with burns on her arms and stab wounds in her stomach. She remembered little about her life. Four months later, someone from her past tells her her parents were killed for a human replication machine. Everyone thinks she’s dead because they found her body in the fire wreckage.

Fiona reads an old journal of hers and finds out the human replicator actually worked. She soon travels to her old home in New York to figure out what happened to her and her family. She needs to confront the men who killed her parents and, most importantly, find out who she is.

It's now almost 43,000 words. Is there anyone interested? I'm aiming to have it published by September 22nd at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.