PDA

View Full Version : Two Books, Same Name

chevbrock
02-27-2011, 09:42 AM
So, there is some upset and may I even dare to say, uproar, caused here recently with two books recently released, called, "Losing the last 5 kilos/kgs". One is by a nutritionist, who makes a few appearances on morning TV here and there. The other one is by a high-profile personal trainer who is currently seen on prime-time TV about four nights a week.

The team behind the nutritionist's book claim that publicity for the book's release has been ongoing for months beforehand, and there is no way that the PT's team could not know what it would be called.

Please discuss. What would you do in this situation? Who do you think is right and wrong? Are we going down the road where we will have to copyright the title of our book as well as the content?

Shadow_Ferret
02-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Much ado about nothing. Book titles aren't copyrighted and I doubt we'll ever see that change.

Libbie
02-27-2011, 08:43 PM
what the ferret said.

Monkey
02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
With all the controversy going on, both books are getting free publicity and the chances of the two of them getting confused are going down...

Phaeal
02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Well, give a book an obvious title...

This sounds like a better subtitle to me, anyhow. Maybe one of them can put a livelier supertitle on the next edition, like: FAT APOCALYPSE!

James D. Macdonald
02-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Maybe one of them can put a livelier supertitle on the next edition, like: FAT APOCALYPSE!

FatPocalyse Now
GotterFatterung
Moby-Fat*
The Adventures of Huckleberry Fat
All Slender on the Western Front
Two Years Before the Fast
The Lord of the Binge
Fat Club**
The Girl with the Weight-Watchers Tattoo

-----------------

*If you called it Fatty-Dick the book might get shelved in the wrong section.
** The first rule of Fat Club is, you do not talk about Fat Club. The second rule of Fat Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fat Club.

Polenth
02-28-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm surprised there are only two books with that name.

Renee Collins
02-28-2011, 07:35 AM
FatPocalyse Now
GotterFatterung
Moby-Fat*
The Adventures of Huckleberry Fat
All Slender on the Western Front
Two Years Before the Fats
The Lord of the Binges
Fat Club**
The Girl with the Weight-watchers Tattoo

-----------------

I'm surprised you didn't mention The Great Fatsby.

Phaeal
02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Don't forget Das Rheinchubb and Die Bulkyrie. And The Muncher in the Rye.

ResearchGuy
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
. . .Are we going down the road where we will have to copyright the title of our book as well as the content?
Book titles are not covered by copyright -- but might be trademarkable under some circumstances.

--Ken

KathleenD
03-01-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm going to trademark The Muncher in the Rye right now.

ResearchGuy
03-01-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm going to trademark The Muncher in the Rye right now.
Fine as long as you are using it in trade already.

:-)

Ken

Phaeal
03-01-2011, 01:13 AM
The Muncher in the Rye will be the name of my NYC deli, catering to the disaffected pastrami lover.

chevbrock
03-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Such is the brilliance of people who visit this forum, that a thread can start as something and become something else far more interesting!

deborahlea
03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Can I please, please marry this entire thread?

Devil Ledbetter
03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
If an author can only come up with a trite title, he shouldn't be surprised to find it's being used on another book.